Adjusting SU HS6

19 minutes ago, Adrian Pettitt said:

Magnus, you are fast becoming my favourite poster! See photo of my carbs below, I will be able to modify mine in the same way! Does your t piece have a non return valve in? Thanks Adrian 

193DE202-6EC8-4D9F-A2C1-7FD221431DED.jpeg

Thanks for that, always nice to be the favourite! No it does not have a non return valve, is that recommended?

Magnus

23 minutes ago, TRseks said:

Thanks for that, always nice to be the favourite! No it does not have a non return valve, is that recommended?

Magnus

I honestly don’t know! I’m not sure if there is any risk of blow back from the balance pipes into the rocker cover? I’m sure someone will come along and let us know. I’ve ordered a T piece already, can’t wait to do away with that tank and filter! Like the heat shield by the way, very neat. Early days for me with the TR6 experience, lots to learn. Cheers Adrian

30 minutes ago, Adrian Pettitt said:

I honestly don’t know! I’m not sure if there is any risk of blow back from the balance pipes into the rocker cover? I’m sure someone will come along and let us know. I’ve ordered a T piece already, can’t wait to do away with that tank and filter! Like the heat shield by the way, very neat. Early days for me with the TR6 experience, lots to learn. Cheers Adrian

I avoided routing the crankcase fumes into the carbs. Drawing these fumes into the carbs is best avoided, you get an oily mess dripping out of those pipes and inside the carbs. I've found the catch tank a better solution myself and the engine still breathes OK. 

2 hours ago, stuart said:

Interesting, if I should try to make something like this myself, what would be needed? What makes this setup better than other similar set ups?

I routed to the carbs as was advised it would help to keep crankcase pressure down, is this not the case?

Magnus

Edited by TRseks
20 minutes ago, TRseks said:

Interesting, if I should try to make something like this myself, what would be needed? What makes this setup better than other similar set ups?

I routed to the carbs as was advised it would help to keep crankcase pressure down, is this not the case?

Magnus

Yes but you suck loads of gunk back into the carbs and engine.

24 minutes ago, TRseks said:

Magnus

You could make your own if you want its just that this kit is well made and fits in nicely beside the battery. Routing the breather back through the carbs isnt a good idea as it tends to gum the carbs up and can even make your emissions worse.

Stuart.

6 hours ago, stuart said:

Hi, Stuart thanks for the info, isn’t that in essence what I’ve already got with exception of picking up a lower crankcase breather? Where would I pick up a lower crankcase breather outlet? I can’t utilise the mechanical fuel pump aperture without fitting an electric lift pump. Is there somewhere else? 

is there any reason why I can’t vent the rocker cover to the oil catch tank as it is currently and then rather than have the silly filter on the top route that via a ‘T’ to the SU link pipe? Presumably the excess oil would still end up in the catch tank and just a certain amount of reduced oil vapour being consumed by vacuum into the inlet? 

39A99D88-1527-4041-B965-BACFCF1F6396.jpeg

TBH what you have now doesnt really do a lot as all those small tanks arent really big enough plus the vent inside the engine compartment leaves you with fumes in there, you could just fit the tank from that kit as I expect you could buy it separately and then vent to it from the rocker cover but its the large bore pipe going out of that tank and down to the chassis and facing rearwards that provides a venturi effect to draw fumes etc out that makes it all work properly.

Stuart.

2 hours ago, stuart said:

TBH what you have now doesnt really do a lot as all those small tanks arent really big enough plus the vent inside the engine compartment leaves you with fumes in there, you could just fit the tank from that kit as I expect you could buy it separately and then vent to it from the rocker cover but its the large bore pipe going out of that tank and down to the chassis and facing rearwards that provides a venturi effect to draw fumes etc out that makes it all work properly.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, agree with that, that silly filter dumping smelly fumes under the bonnet seems daft to me. I actually think that large pipe down by the crankcase is doing very little to help as I think it’s supposed to be connected to another case outlet? I might experiment with connecting the filter outlet back to the balance pipe to create a bit of vacuum and block off that additional pipe inlet. I suspect you are correct those fibreglass tanks are nearly 3ltrs for a reason compared to perhaps 1/2 ltr for that silly shiny one! Thanks again Adrian