Absolutely agree, with Roger, Waldi, except that Keswick would take you in the wrong direction.

Use the A69, cross Pennine road, and the M74 north from Carlisle, then south of Glasgow head for the M80 to take you back to your more direct route.    The M74 is through rolling countryside, with magnificent views all the time!   If you have time, then get off the A69 along the B6318 that tracks Hadrian's Wall, and visit Vindolanda, and if you want an autobahn-less experience, take the A75 from Gretna, then A76 from Dumfries to Glasgow.

Have a great time!

John

5 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Waldi

why not aim for Carlisle via the the Lake District. Keswick is the centre of the lakes but there are so many beauty spots in all directions.

From Carlisle it is straight up the M6 and into Scotlandshire.  Up the side of Loch Lomond and on towards Oban.

Roger

Hi Roger and John,
thank you; I would like to be more “in the middle”, it would require 300 km from Carlisle to Oban, it is my first maiden trip so need to get confidence in the car (and my work;)).

Cheers,
Waldi

Edited by Waldi
3 hours ago, ntc said:

Waldi

Look up Killin

Thank you Neil, 

I really want to split the drive from Newcastle to Oban in 2 halves. Maybe I’m over-cautious, but hey, that’s me:)

Cheers,
Waldi

42 minutes ago, Waldi said:

Thank you Neil, 

I really want to split the drive from Newcastle to Oban in 2 halves. Maybe I’m over-cautious, but hey, that’s me:)

Cheers,
Waldi

Waldi - although it's not half way, Stirling is well worth a visit and arguably on one of the routes to Oban - lots of history to see,

Cheers Rich

18 hours ago, Waldi said:

Thank you Neil, 

Cheers,
Waldi

Your welcome great roads ( watch out for the wild red deer) and feed the red squirrel’s when having a break fantastic area 

Waldi,

When we travel to the west coast of Scotland from the Newcastle area we typically stay in Callander, west of Stirling.   Then north west via Crianlarich and Tyndrum and north over the fabulous Rannoch Moor before entering the equally fabulous Glencoe.   If you're going to Oban you would turn  west at Tyndrum.  The last time we went all of our favourite B&B's in Callander were full so we stayed at Springfield Lodge Bed and Breakfast (springfieldlodgebandb.co.uk) in Stirling and it was lovely, with views over the William Wallace Memorial.  We've also stayed at Alloa in Garvally House guest house (garvallyhouse.com) which isn't too far out of the way but there is plenty of choice in the area.   All require navigating the Edinburgh ring road and there's several route options to get there from Newcastle, the A1, the A697 starting just north of Morpeth or the A696 which is found by heading past Newcastle airport.  The latter two roads merge just north of Lauder.  We generally travel through Lauder (by either road and a short diversion) as there's a great cafe / gallery there by the name of Flat Cat Cafe.   The Edinburgh ring road can be a breeze or very busy with lots of traffic depending upon time of day and luck. 

It's true that mapping apps suggest that the quickest way to Callander is west via Carlisle and up the M6 / A74(A) towards Glasgow and then swing NE towards Stirling.  While it doesn't seem logical to my inbuilt compass to head off west for an hour or more when I want to go north, we've done that a few times but we generally prefer smaller roads to the motorway.  The A69 west to Carlisle is largely single carriageway after Hexham so we'd go the scenic B6318 if going that way. 

If in Callander we often take a quick diversion to Loch Katrine for the lovely views before heading off again.  We also sometimes  hand feed vegetables (bought in their shop) to the highland cows at Kilmahog Edinburgh Woolen Mill. 

While Vindolanda Roman fort is very special it should be noted that while it often appears on TV programmes on Hadrian's Wall I believe that it predates it and was abandoned before the wall was built.  The B6318 is a great road from Carlisle to Newcastle and details of some wall related Roman sites along its route can be found on the posting  Seeing Roman Britain by TR2  Perhaps something for the return journey.  If you came back the Northumberland countryside route instead of the coastal one you could visit several nice places including Cragside House which was the first house in the world to be lit by hydro electricity.  

There's some lovely beaches just south of Mallaig and of course you could try and fit in the steam train between Fort William and Mallaig if you're staying in the area.

Have a great trip.

Paul

Edited by PaulAnderson

For anyone visiting Hadrian 's Wall, Vindolanda is a must, whatever it's origin.    The other  must-see is the Roman Army Museum, which is associated with Vindolanda and for which you can buy combined entry tickets.   Both are keen to involve and interest children.    Perhaps at present it's bad taste to encourage young warriors, even for the Roman Army, but the Museum has one exhibit in a set like a fire lit tent, a centurion chats about army life, as he was trying to recruit the modern schoolkids.   It's a video, but achieves great realism, and catches their imagination.

John

If anyone is interested in Roman military equipment then I’d suggest that a good place to go is Corbridge Roman site where you can see the best preserved Roman armour in their excellent museum as part of the  Hoard discovered there.   Corbridge isn’t on the wall itself but rather guards the Dere Street Roman road crossing of the river Tyne just south of the wall.

The first Time Capsule video on that page is informative on the armour.  I personally like the Lanx tray as seen on the third video.  I’ve seen the original now held in the British museum.

Paul

Edited by PaulAnderson
  • 2 months later...

Loads of very useful info above - brought back memories of our NC500 in the 6 a few years ago - all good memories.  In addition to all the info regarding places to visit, I would add book accommodation early and keep an eye on the fuel gauge - there are not many places to obtain fuel.  Some of them appear no more than a single pump in the front garden of a private house!

It will be a great adventure one day or another.  If you venture onto Skye, try the Kylerhea ferry for a different experience just a little S of the bridge (No booking necessary).

I think the main thing is to not rush it and take time to soak it all in, including meeting the locals - all invariably nice people, especially the Scottish folk in the TRR who we met a little north of Inverness and who passed on very useful local info on route and places to visit.

I’m sure you will have a great trip on what is sometimes described as the Scottish answer to Route 66 - not sure they are at all comparable though.