Injection problem?

My rebuild was finished and I got the Roadworthy Certificate (similar to MOT) and registration so I thought we would be using the 6 for a weekend club event starting tomorrow afternoon BUT now the previously reliable injection system has decided not to play nice.

At low revs the engine is stumbling and running rough.  Number 3 injection line has a much weaker "pulse" then the others and when I removed the plugs all except number 3 are really good with tan base electrodes and off-white insulators.  Number 3 is black and sooty and dry.

I've tried another injector but no improvement.

Can anyone suggest my next move (be nice).

Thanks in advance.

Mark

10 minutes ago, Markus said:

My rebuild was finished and I got the Roadworthy Certificate (similar to MOT) and registration so I thought we would be using the 6 for a weekend club event starting tomorrow afternoon BUT now the previously reliable injection system has decided not to play nice.

At low revs the engine is stumbling and running rough.  Number 3 injection line has a much weaker "pulse" then the others and when I removed the plugs all except number 3 are really good with tan base electrodes and off-white insulators.  Number 3 is black and sooty and dry.

I've tried another injector but no improvement.

Can anyone suggest my next move (be nice).

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Hi Mark

Have you checked to see if there is a nice cone spray from that injector and it’s not dribbling. Might be a bit of dirt in the injector. Depending on what type of injector it is you can pull the end nib with your finger nail only and that might clear it or give the injector a slight tap on a piece of wood. This is of course if the injector is dribbling.

God luck.

After checking and if you are getting a good cone spray, I'd be changing that plug.

Gareth

Just now, Mk2 Chopper said:

After checking and if you are getting a good cone spray, I'd be changing that plug.

Gareth

Good point Gareth, especially if it’s a NJK plug.

Swop it with another cylinder?

Also take a looksee in the injector as some may still have the mesh filter.

Edited by DaveN

Not sure if this helps, but have found recently that after using 2 tanks of Shell V power made mine run rough. I guess it's the Ethanol content being increased ??. Started using Esso 97 and slowly all came back to running nice again

best Bill

If all the above still does not resolve it, swap the plug lead too.

Waldi

Thanks gents.

I'll check the injector again as well as replace the plug and I have a spare lead I can try too.

Fuel is fresh and no change from what I've been running for the past 10 years.  BP Ultimate.

Fingers crossed!

Mark