TR4 half shaft oil seal

Hi Folks,

I have a friend who at this moment is going bananas trying to remove the oil seal in the axle tube (I think)

from his description it sounds like item 66  Seal

Any ideas how to get the seal out. He has tried a two leg puller.

Roger

H Folks,

having read the OH manual and the parts assembly I think I have sus'd it.

The seal doesn't come out. The new seal sits against it.

If and when the rear axle comes out for rebuild the seals can be knock out form across the car with a long shaft.

Or...........

Roger

Yes our old friend GHS185.

Just done this job on two TR3A Girling axles - same as TR4.

I have a seal hook cum bent lever thing I use to lever the seals out.  That is the easy bit!

I now have a mandrel to mount the seal on so it can be whacked in square. (easy one for you Roger) New seals are all rubber unlike orig items that had steel shell, so the squidge all over the place.

He should also consider speedi-sleeve on the axle shaft area that runs in the seal.

Cheers

Peter W

Speedi sleeve:-   I bought these for the shaft   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/99131-SKF-Speedi-Sleeve/222283374405?hash=item33c11f1f45:g:j3MAAOSwc2FaBwTL&frcectupt=true

and these for the pinion drive flange  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/99149-SKF-Speedi-Sleeve/222282904862?hash=item33c117f51e:g:Ef0AAOSwTmtantGK&frcectupt=true

There's a very simple tool that can be made to extract these little blighters easily, I'll try & find some pictures, although I'm fairly sure I posted them before when we were all using photo bucket so they'll be long gone now..

Here you go Roger, it's basically a small tablet of oblong steel with a nut welded on the back & the corners rounded off, you drop it behind the seal  (I then used one of those cheepo telescopic magnet things to hold it against the inside of the seal while I screwed some stud into it and put a plate over the outer edge and pulled it out by slowly tightening the outer nut - works really well & only cost me a few bits of scrap metal.

seal tool 1.JPG

seal tool 2.JPG

seal tool 3.JPG

seal tool 4.JPG

seal tool 5.JPG

1 hour ago, Drewmotty said:

If you put a slot in the plate and fix the nut to the stud you can avoid the fishing exercise. 

As used in the aircraft industry with a slide hammer. 

Bit like this slide hammer - just too big for half shaft axle tube seal on TR - Does something on a  tank.  Ex  Army 1948.

Photo also of seal on insert mandrel

Cheers

Peter W

IMG_1690.JPG

IMG_1695.JPG

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

I read that your friend has done it now, but for similar situations / for future reference / other readers I usually just drill a hole through the seal and use a self tapping screw .. 

P1300800.thumb.JPG.92b7ee20f9a29e6d4387e6bb324d199a.JPG

It works even where you can't get a lever or puller in, such as this instance where the gearbox main shaft is in the way.