Wiper/Wash switch query

Ho Folks,

a while ago a friend of mine pointed out an issue with the TR6 wiper/washer switch  P/No. 155496.

Item 77  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/electrical-system/wipers-washers/windscreen-wiper-system-tr5-6.html

I understand that an internal spigot/nipple breaks off and stop the switch from switching.

If you have ever had a problem please give me feedback.

Roger

Hi Roger 

The standard version of this switch is a little suspect as the shaft is some sort of plastic, as you turn the switch you can feel the shaft twisting and I was always expecting the thing to shear.

A few years back I managed to source a switch with a steel shaft which I believe came from Canley Classics, it actually operates in the opposite direction but is a much better switch 

George

8 minutes ago, harlequin said:

Hi Roger 

The standard version of this switch is a little suspect as the shaft is some sort of plastic, as you turn the switch you can feel the shaft twisting and I was always expecting the thing to shear.

A few years back I managed to source a switch with a steel shaft which I believe came from Canley Classics, it actually operates in the opposite direction but is a much better switch 

George

That switch was Lucas made and came from Rover.   NOS ones pop up on E Bay from time to time.

I use the single speed version of that switch with electric push wash from the tailgate wipe of a Range Rover on my TR3.

Peter W

On 5/22/2019 at 9:07 PM, harlequin said:

Peter

Thanks for the tip on the Range Rover switch, I intend fitting an electric washer pump to my 3A and like the idea of a combined switch

George 

The two speed switch from Lucas is part no Lucas  35796.  See image   Turn to operate wipers, push for electric screen wash.  This is destined for the TR when I go to a TR6 wiper motor.

I would have to strip the dash to find the single speed switch no.

NB  TR6 users.  The stem of the Lucas switch is a lot shorter than the orig plastic switch (Clear Hooters?)  So the mounting tube will need modifying.

Cheers

Peter W

PS I do have an used single speed wiper switch with manual washer pump (ex Spitfire/GT6) Plastic type switch like TR6.  If anyone is interested  I will photo.  Would do a TR4 with single speed wipers.

IMG_1689.JPG

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT