TR6 - Play in upper steering column

My TR6 passed its MOT today, which I'm really pleased about. There was one or two observations. I have play in the upper steering column; it moves a little mostly in the vertical plane when you exert force on the steering wheel itself. (perhaps 2 or 3 mm). The Inspector pointed it out and suggested it was likely play in a bush. I have not interrogated further as yet. My question is what is it most likely to be, and is it a tricky job to do. A couple of years ago my classic car garage locally did adjust the column to its furthest position away from the driver; it had been in the outer position for over 20 years, but I'd lived with it. He had said he took the main gauges out for best access to the clamps involved.

Its something I should attend to, just gathering some thoughts beforehand.

Many thanks Trevor

Trevor, there are two potential wear points that can allow the steering column to move . One is the felt between the outer column and the upper bracket, the other more likely problem is the upper bush between the inner and outer columns. These have a plastic inner and a rubber outer with two ears that lock into the outer column. The inner column rusts and acts like a file..

Neither are particularly hard to replace but there are options for what you replace the column bushes with and some care needed as the outer column is quite fragile.

You should be able to observe what is worn based on how the inner and outer columns are moving.

Stan

Also whilst your looking in there check the bracket on the bulkhead that supports the column where it goes through the bulkhead as they often crack there.

Stuart.

Mine works loose at the clamp securing the column to the front of the dash frame, allowing up/down motion. Can be temporarily cured with a wedge ( half an wooden clothes peg) between the column and the wood. Then find a short, swan-neck ring spanner to tighten the nuts on the rear-facing captive bolts .

Peter

Hi Trevor,

to be shure: can you move the steering wheel up and down - or in and out?

And do you have a steering lock or not?

Ciao, Marco 

Edited by Z320

Thanks for these comments; Yes I have a steering lock (1972 CP Model). I'll double check but I'm sure there's no in/out movement, just up and down. Last year I tweaked the in/out adjustment on the inner column too stop the horn going off at random syndrome! (That's on the forum somewhere!).

Regards Trevor

OK, no problem at all but this is the case of most effort....

The steering lock is fixed with 2 bolts with "twist off" - hex heads, are there still there or are they twisted off?

How do you estimate your own skills?

Edited by Z320
  • 1 month later...

Sorry guys it’s a while since this post. I've bought the upper and lower bushes and it’s job got to do in the next few weeks. I’ve managed a recent return trip to Le Mans but I'm back to France in September with the Essex TR Group.  Trevor