Water pump - no nipple

Hi

probably a daft question. I have searched for answers and just need reassurance.

if there is no grease nipple or hole for one, I take it that my water pump  (TR3a) doesn’t need greasing ?!?!? 

1 hour ago, John Morrison said:

Originals had nipples for greasing,

many replacements do not.

John.

I recall you were only supposed to put a pump or two in rarely but people pumped more in than was necessary. The grease can't go anywhere inside the pump so putting more in just damaged seals.

Edited by John McCormack

Thanks everyone

my book says to grease every 5k and 5 strokes of the grease gun !!

but as there isn’t one I won’t be doing it .

ECA75063-1106-4A56-A1BC-94F872BB2B49.jpeg

A2821967-9261-4D43-9311-F5A15AA0EDEF.jpeg

BF1C992E-0C9E-47C4-8E76-C9551552DECF.jpeg

Hi Hamish,

bearings you nowadays get mainly in 3 variations:

- opened, not sealed for oil and grease, good for example inside of gear boxes

- both sides covered with a metal plate , called "ZZ", some kind of sealed for grease

- both sides sealed with a lip seal, called "2RS", very good sealed for oil and grease (and dust)

The new pumps come with "2RS" bearings, greased for a livetime, you (normally) get no grease in or out.

The old pumps had bearings outside covered with a metal clip and a paper washer to let grease out to the pulley and out of the gap close the impeller seal.

Inside they had no cover to let the grease in. All grease you pumped in came out on one of the other side - one day, to avoid any dust going in.

What you can do is not to grease your new water pump and not worry about.

What I did is I reconditioned my old pump with new 2RS bearings, removed the inner lip seals and can further use the grease nipple. Not necessary but old style.

I wrote a post about how to recondition the old water pump with lots of photos - but according to the structure of ths forum it is lost in the big heap, I can't find it.

Another water pump I own is a about 5 - 8 years old greasable Bastuck water pump with "ZZ" bearings, that also works fine.

Ciao, Marco

Edited by Z320

Thanks for the reassurance that I don’t have to grease where there is no grease point.

Marco  I suppose I have to take it on faith that I have good non maintenance bearings as I can’t see them !

Hi Hamish,

my water pump failed coming home from Gaydon in May 2018. It was a good ten year old but more importantly in excess of 100,000 miles.

I popped along to the TRShop and bought another. It was exactly the same manufacturer (Powertune I think). That gave me a good feeling.

No grease nipple - no greasing - very messy stuff

I am hoping for another 10 years and 100,000 miles out of this one.

Roger

Hi Hamish,

you have no grease nipple and you can't grease! Don`t worry that - it will work anyway.

You want to grease it and feel better with this? Order a water pump with grease nipple from Bastck (Germany).

As long GB is in the EU this is very simple to do. What about to vote a second time....?

Ciao, Marco

On 5/21/2019 at 3:34 PM, Hamish said:

Hi

probably a daft question. I have searched for answers and just need reassurance.

if there is no grease nipple or hole for one, I take it that my water pump  (TR3a) doesn’t need greasing ?!?!? 

Trade terminology

"Sealed For Death"

Peter W