Risking a Serious Fine...?

On the M3 / M27 yesterday followed an emerald green TR6 for a while.

I'm not a copper and would never interfere in other's business but couldn't help noticing:

- The oversize tyres protruded beyond the wheel arches,

- The car was M registered but had a black numberplate.

_ The driver was wearing massive earphones, clearly visible through the rear window of his Surrey top...!

I believe the maximum fine for the latter infringement is a £5,000 fine...

Otherwise the car, and driver, looked ok, but too highly modified for my taste...

58 minutes ago, cfgarrod said:

I'm not a copper and would never interfere in other's business but couldn't help noticing:

_ The driver was wearing massive earphones, clearly visible through the rear window of his Surrey top...!

Otherwise the car, and driver, looked ok, but too highly modified for my taste...

interesting point you raise about head phones, I'm guessing its all down to what the headphones are for,  as in military vehicles driven on public roads its not unusual to either have ear defenders on or crew/commander comms, but in neither of those case are you listening to music, although at times I sure they wish they were ! 

Hi Graham,

it is an offence to drive a car with head phones on no matter what you are listening to.

The military are a special case.

However it gets very muddy. A motorcyclist crash helmet has a similar effect and these can be worn in a car.

A motorcyclist can have comm's in the helmet.

What about the deaf

So rather than not hearing is it the distraction that is the issue.

If so what about our city friends with their 500W boom boxes in the boot.

Roger

I thought it was allowed to use the phone as “wireless” with small earplugs, but probably not then, even if that setup doesn’t stop you from hearing other things like sirens etc. Good to know.

That it’s not sensible to drive with f.ex big noise cancelling headphones should be common sense.

Good point about loud music, that is allowed then? Would think if someone is one the phone with only one open earplug that should be much better than playing very loud music.

Magnus

Edited by TRseks

The TR6 is actually perfectly legal having Black number plates!  It’s legal providing cars are registered Historic. Copied from Gov.UK  :rolleyes:

Traditional number plates for vehicles made before 1 January 1973
Vehicles made before 1 January 1973 may display traditional ‘black and white’ number plates (for example, white, silver or grey characters on a black plate). From April 2019 vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1979 are also able to display traditional ‘black and white’ number plates. You must:
• haveappliedtoDVLA
• beregisteredwithinthe‘historicvehicles’taxclass.
The 40-year exemption date rolls forward automatically each year on 1 April.

Roger

haveappliedtoDVLA

I wonder how many have actually asked, or do they assume that being registered as "historic" automatically gives them permission to display an age inappropriate plate? 

Has anyone applied and received permission?

Regards

Bill 

55 minutes ago, Rogcastle said:

Bill

I don't think you have to apply to the DVLA apart from applying for Historic status. As usual clear as mud.

Roger

I agree

• haveappliedtoDVLA

They appear to be inclusive, ie requiring both to be satisfied. If they weren't, in theory you could apply for permission to use them on a 57 plate say............

I wonder how an insurance company would view a claim from someone driving into the back of my 1973 to pre 1979 car saying it could have been avoided had I not dispensed with the reflective plates?

It is after all, a safety related change coming into force in 1973, not a vanity one.

Regards

Bill 

53 minutes ago, Bill944T said:

• haveappliedtoDVLA

They appear to be inclusive, ie requiring both to be satisfied. If they weren't, in theory you could apply for permission to use them on a 57 plate say............

I wonder how an insurance company would view a claim from someone driving into the back of my 1973 to pre 1979 car saying it could have been avoided had I not dispensed with the reflective plates?

It is after all, a safety related change coming into force in 1973, not a vanity one.

Regards

Bill 

Bill you worry to much. The vehicle has to be at least  40 years old and registered Historic before you can use Black plates.  I would worry more about all the Historic cars on the road that don't have MOT's.

I actually found the GOV.uk link on Footman James classic car insurers web site and I am sure apply to DVLA means  either for tax or Sorn.

all the best

Roger

Right.... mines a ‘P’ plate.... it has black plates! Registered historic. 

I did wear ear defenders but now wear expanding plugs that have an excellent attenuation rate as it’s so noisy and the wind buffeting around the ears. We have a hearing test at work luckily I still get the full spectrum but the nurse doing it said most people it’s weaker on the right hand side due to driving with the window open!

Edited by DaveN

Bill,

Not sure if the reasons for going from black and white to reflective were for safety reasons. I think it was more to do with the fact that they stood out better on speed camera pictures.

Charlie.

(Black plates on a “P” reg TR3A)

Cynical bunch! Primarily it was for safety reasons as per the Commons debate on the private member's bill from 1967:-

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/debates/?id=1967-04-19a.498.2

How widespread were cameras in 1973 anyway ?  Thin on the ground I think.

Given that the car's lights have inbuilt reflectors relying on the number plates being reflective is pretty unconvincing as a direct safety benefit.

More likely that your number plate is harder to read (with the lights off) in the days of Police enforcement rather than cameras. No doubt dressed up as a safety issue.

Black number plates can be used on vehicles of pre 1/1/1975 vintage if they fall into the historic vehicle category.  I think that before April 205 when the law was changed, the vehicle had to be Pre 1971 (might have been 73) to sport black number plates.

Andy

I agree with you about inbuilt reflectors and Police enforcement,  but your not correct saying only pre 1/1/75 vintage can display Black number plates. The rules have changed and all Historic registered cars can now display Black number plates as stated in previous post.

Regards

Roger

On 5/21/2019 at 9:57 AM, cfgarrod said:

Hello Cfgarrod,

You say you ‘are not a copper’, on one of the other two of your total 3 posts, you say ‘I’m not a pendantic’. Therefore, naturally - being the trustful, helpful (and latterly moderated / censored) we have to believe you..

Appears however, judging from all your posts over the years, that you are a total wind up merchant?! - Good luck to you if a black and white number plate is really the biggest worry you see in this current world of ours...

Tony out