I am in the final stages of a restoration, only to find I cannot stop the wiper motor from running, their is no live feed to the switch at all or at any time, when turning the ignition on there is a live feed to the green terminal on the motor it's self, at no time is there a feed to the red and black terminal, any suggestions please.

Hi Nick,

welcome to the forum.

Both the TR4 single speed and the TR4A two speed motors work the same (sort of).

The switch on the dashboard switches the motor to earth.

There is a permanent live (green wire) to the motor.

Assuming TR4 single speed - If you isolate the switch and run a wire from the Black/Green earth wire coming out of the motor you can earth this  wire and the motor run.

Remove the wire and it should stop.

On the top of the motor is a round cap. The position of this dictates where the wipers park. It can be rotated.

If the fly wire works but the switch doesn't then it is possible that the switch is wired wrong as there are quite a few contact you play with.  The switches tend to have a long life.

The TR4A works in a similar way but has two earth wires coming out of the motor.

Have a look here for wiring etc  http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr24a.pdf

Roger

On 20 May 2019 at 2:35 PM, RogerH said:

Hi Nick,

welcome to the forum.

Both the TR4 single speed and the TR4A two speed motors work the same (sort of).

The switch on the dashboard switches the motor to earth.

There is a permanent live (green wire) to the motor.

Assuming TR4 single speed - If you isolate the switch and run a wire from the Black/Green earth wire coming out of the motor you can earth this  wire and the motor run.

Remove the wire and it should stop.

On the top of the motor is a round cap. The position of this dictates where the wipers park. It can be rotated.

If the fly wire works but the switch doesn't then it is possible that the switch is wired wrong as there are quite a few contact you play with.  The switches tend to have a long life.

The TR4A works in a similar way but has two earth wires coming out of the motor.

Have a look here for wiring etc  http://www.advanceautowire.com/tr24a.pdf

Roger

Hi Roger thank you for your welcome and your information re the Wiper, I have now put the problem to bed, the earth feed coming out of the top of the motor was touching the Bonnet Buffer (fitted new after the restoration) which then made a permanent live feed to the motor, as simple as that. Thank you for your very helpful information and time. 

Regards Nick

At the point where the wires come out between the end-cap and the motor body, they often develop a short-circuit.

I've  seen one where the wires did not pass through the "notch" in the end cap but were trapped in the centre. Anyway this is a weak area and they usually need rewiring at this point.

Otherwise the self-parking wire that goes to the cap, gets trapped against the body by the long bolt that holds the end-cap on.

Or one of several other places that can easily short out.   Anyway this is an unwanted connection to ground somewhere.

Oh I forgot,  the grease will most likely have gone hard.   And the FAST winding may have failed cotton insulation.  And the brushes need to be checked before they cut into the commutator.  And lots of these have been overheated at some stage and the armature winding may look black.

The good news is that these old motors can always be easily fixed.

In the TR6 section I describe recent games with  a NEW repro round type wiper motor.  This had several original manufacturing defects.  Not  so easy to fix either.