Some years ago decent lever arms were not avail but tele conversions were. Although I think the teles are worth fitting mine did not work as well as they should until I fitted a pair of CV driveshafts. I now notice movement on gentle undulations which was not avail before. I think this is probably due to the lockup which occurs on the splines of the standard driveshafts especially under load. 

Chris

Thanks Chris ..useful reply.  Might I presume CV driveshafts are expensive ?    And I wonder if having them ..together with lever arm dampers would not have seen a similar improvement. ? 

This week so far  :  Arkansas river through Little Rock has burst its banks and homes are in flood.  Another 4" of rain is forecast.  I think Raymond's home is safe at the moment but roads are being closed and of course preparation to get the TR ready for transport is of lowest priority. 

Other news : an update on shipping quotes received to date  < here  > 

Edited by Bfg

From the photo below, and relative to the TR4, 4A, and 5 / 250,  the rear light cutouts are different, as is the boot surround and across the back panel, but I was just wondering why the TR6 has a deeper inner wing pressing on the rear right hand side ?

I read that the TR4A, TR5 / 250 and TR6 body shell was the same and that Karmann had just altered the exterior panels.   Clearly there are many more changes beneath the skin. 

img_7756a.jpg.ad6aa6203ccc6210a01f0419379c175a.jpg

4 hours ago, Bfg said:

From the photo below, and relative to the TR4, 4A, and 5 / 250,  the rear light cutouts are different, as is the boot surround and across the back panel, but I was just wondering why the TR6 has a deeper inner wing pressing on the rear right hand side ?

I read that the TR4A, TR5 / 250 and TR6 body shell was the same and that Karmann had just altered the exterior panels.   Clearly there are many more changes beneath the skin. 

img_7756a.jpg.ad6aa6203ccc6210a01f0419379c175a.jpg

That depression is for the fuel tank breather expansion tank on US models.

Stuart.

Tonys TR6 577.jpg

^ Thanks Stuart,  I've never heard of one of them ..and don't rightly know what one does either.  

I thought it must have been for a pump on the PI system but apparently not.   And otherwise a useful amount of space for a tool kit. 

14 hours ago, Bfg said:

^ Thanks Stuart,  I've never heard of one of them ..and don't rightly know what one does either.  

I thought it must have been for a pump on the PI system but apparently not.   And otherwise a useful amount of space for a tool kit. 

Its piped from the filler neck into the tank and then back out and forward along under the car to the engine compartment where it meets up with the charcoal canister where the rest of the emission equipment feeds into.

Stuart.

On 5/29/2019 at 1:36 PM, Bfg said:

Thanks Chris ..useful reply.  Might I presume CV driveshafts are expensive ?    And I wonder if having them ..together with lever arm dampers would not have seen a similar improvement. ? 

There not cheap but do come with new hubs and decent standard ones are about 2/3 the cost when new hubs are included. There may well be an improvement with lever arms as well but all the people I’ve heard of have upgraded to teles first. Tele conversions have been around for 15 or 20 years , CV shafts for only a few.

Chris

https://classicdrivingdevelopment.co.uk/

History 101 - part 2 follow up correspondence

.  .  .         it's not about things, it is all about the people.

On 5/26/2019 at 11:24 AM, Bfg said:

< F. Veitch >   wrote:

Ray, I forwarded your email to Chris Smith who is Crawfords daughter.  She may have more information including original purchase stuff.  

Sent:  Sunday, October 1, 2006, 9:55:58 AM PDT

Subject: Emmett Crawford Morten

Recently I heard from Fletcher Veitch (..the Nephew)  - that you have my father-in-laws TR4. You can not believe how happy I am to know that the car is still around. In fact, a bunch of us here in Ticonderoga are thrilled.  Fletch mentioned that you would like to know a little about Crawford. I could go on forever if you were here but you are not so I’ll just jot down some quick thoughts.

After quitting West Point and getting married, Crawford moved to Ticonderoga and decided to buy a sports car. After much research he decided on a Peerless. It wasn’t too long when he discovered that the English had not mastered fiberglass and his cars had to always look good, so he made a deal for the dealer to take the car back and give him a TR3. LOADED. He loved it, so a bit later he sold it to his nephew Fletch, ordered a TR4 out of Rutland, Vt. (Russ Smith Auto), had it shipped to SAH, blue printed, and he flew to England to pick it up. He drove it around to a couple Formula One races and sent it back home.

Let me describe Crawford…..

Crawford was a big man, wicked smart, eccentric, and when he spoke, you listened. He loved cars, guns, wines, gourmet cooking, astronomy, and reading. He hated improper English but some four letters were quite OK. I am sure I am missing other hobbies of his.

He was the 1955 US Muzzle Loading Pistol Champion.

During the 1950’s and 60’s, he was know at Watkins Glen for his reciting of poems, songs and jokes. 

When the British told him that a carb did not fit his Land Rover, he went to his shop and milled a plate that made it fit.

His Grandfather led the charge over San Juan Hill, not Roosevelt . It is a fact.

Morten Salt ! Sterling Salt ! His relatives.

Around Christmas he would drive his Land Rover to Md. , load the back with oysters and seaweed. I would get a call when he got back and we would deliver oysters to friends and relatives. They knew that they had to serve us a good wine or a single malt scotch. I could be made happy with a cheap beer but Crawford educated me differently.

After Crawford’s funeral, we all went out to his farmhouse and had a party in his honor.  Many people, many drinks, and many many Crawford stories.

My wife is looking for pictures of the TR and her father for you but I got anxious.  

We will keep in touch. AND thank you.

Terry Smith

- - -

Keep up these brilliant posts Pete, best read I’ve had for ages.

Chris

Nothing very much happening with Chance  at the moment.  The seller's good lady wife had a fall and broke her arm and two ribs,  and then the following week  Little Rock had floods when its river burst its banks,  so I think Raymond has his hands full ..and of course preparation for transport of this 4A  is on a back burner.   Tbh, that's  fine with me right now because monies are tight until my 1955  Sunbeam motorcycle 'Hovis'  is sold. 

In the meantime..   I enjoyed a very informative morning yesterday with Rich  rcreweread  who lives just 25 miles away in Colchester.   Rich had a beautiful white 1962 TR4 and then other project TR4's & 4A's to show me, as well as a host of excellent new and recondition parts that he helps other owners with.  He seems quite the expert on gearboxes and their ratios,  and also their weakness and where they might best be strengthened.  Drop him a line if you have gearbox or overdrive woes, as he can supply these at a fair price.   The aluminium fuel tank (new) and radiator cowls he offers - do look superbly made  and again do not seem expensive.   

Rich had read my posts regarding the IRS chassis < here > and so very kindly gave me a tour around one -  to show where weaknesses (fatigue points) were to be found (particularly the front suspension and the differential mountings) and then how to reinforce them.   He also has a body tub with a 'sectioned' sill  where I could see its construction - very useful (..I should have asked to take a tracing of it for my cad drawing).  And then again,  a host of both original and aftermarket repair panels ..ready and waiting for his own project cars.   All invaluable to my understanding of how this meccano set all goes together.!    In fact we discussed so many details (over a three hours visit) that I couldn't share them all here, but I know much of that discussed will be usefully recalled when I'm face to face with those same components on Chance

One of less important features (..versus actually getting the car back on the road)  was to look at the raw metal dashboards  ..and to spot the differences between the TR4 and 4A.  And also to discuss the possibility of converting from Left to Right hand drive.   I'd like to go retro with my 4A and to have the white-painted dashboard of the earlier car.   Of course this might depend on my finding someone with a 'spare' glove box lid and hinges (for a lhd car) hopefully inexpensive & surplus ..as they've gone on to fit a beautiful wooden dashboard.?  

With these parts loose off the car,  Rich and I could see how the metal glove box lid might possibly fit into the TR4A's metal aperture.  The question of whether I convert to RHD is another matter - the verdict is not in on that one,  but again I guess it'll come down to the cost/availability of the necessary parts (..dashboard,  rack,  pedal assembly,  etc.).

All in all it was a a great tour Rich.   I really do appreciate your time and kindness in allowing me to dip into your veritable mine of information -  THANK YOU.  

As and when I get this project home,  I hope you'll come to visit and have a look.   And when I see what is needed (what is serviceable and what is uneconomical to repair) - I'll be glad to call upon you to see what you might have.   

It was an excellent TR visit.   - Again many Thanks  ;)

Edited by Bfg

Peter - wow!

Thanks for your comments - I'm nowhere near the expert you seem to think I am - I'm just an enthusiastic TRer who has learnt along the way, and more often than not the hard way, and am happy to impart that little knowledge to other enthusiasts.

I also hate paying top dollar for rubbish parts so have spent quite a lot of time researching the best/better parts and who supplies them at best value, primarily for my own benefit, but am also more than happy to impart that knowledge with other enthusiasts.

As for parts themselves, I take pride in restoring them to a quality that I am happy to use in my own restorations, which means they have to be good, and if I have any surplus, I do sell them from time to time to help fund my own restorations. 

Once again, thanks for your sentiments but better now go and get on with the current restoration!

Cheers

Rich