• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pete - DON'T give up with owning a TR - there are other cars out there - just put the word out on here and elsewhere and I'm sure something will come up Chin up  Cheers Rich

Or these people? http://www.leacyclassics.com/parts/classicmini/engine-components/2k7440.html Roger

. Carrying on from TR4 -v- Tr4A engine, and my purchasing a 'spare'  < here >  ..so that I might get on and have an engine ready by the time the Chance is actually bought and shipped,  we h

Posted Images

It's been a while, but Mark was away on holiday for a week and to be frank things have slowed down a lot.  That was not a problem for me because I was feeling burnt out with the TR saga, and also the trailer I'm making not going to plan (leading me to build a weather shelter to work and keep things under) ..so I've not been chasing M&T.  So after the photos received on the 9th July it wasn't until the 26th that I received some more showing the replaced sill now in primer and seam sealed . . . 

IMG_2733.jpg.9afd151158499139f79d2ecbfae8ffcb.jpg      IMG_2732.thumb.jpg.18c8ee16faff4a8a9698fb4e7546042a.jpg

^ Because of my limited budget I asked them not to top-paint the sill, I'll do that myself. 

M&T therefore set about reassembly on this side of the side  . . .

IMG_2758.thumb.jpg.81208ce449c93c8148317e32c1054648.jpg

^ They've added a drain pipe (on both sides) from the fresh-air vent plenum's drain, forward to exit under the wheel arch, rather than for that drain to dribble down on top of the sill as it originally was.  I might add that they've very kindly done this as a matter of good (restoration / preservation) practice and have not charged me to do it.  It may only seem like a little detail, but there are many such little details which they've attended to in their own time ant at their own cost, which all together contribute to a better than expected service ..whereas my usual experience of garages and in particular 'restoration services' is that they like to charge-through-the-nose for every tiny thing. 

The driver's side sill is in good shape and more or less in the right place but the top flange had opened up.  M&T drilled and plug welded this up for me. . .

IMG_2759.jpg.194889f08ab7b46d51c6a7a05b859e40.jpg

^ I enquired why it hadn't been re-spot-welded which would have been neater ? and the reply was that the metal surfaces to be joined have to be very clean for the spot weld to work well (I'm guessing that's because the electrical current has to pass through where metal is being pinched together, and any paint or even light surface rust prevents that).  Because access inbetween those faces was quite impossible to clean out properly the strongest way to rejoin it was to drill and plug weld the flange.  This has since been cleaned up and primered so once top coated painted (by myself and under the door's weather seal it wont be seen.

Moving on., and while access was good, before the bonnet was refitted, the headlamp, side lights, indicators and other wiring needed to be reconnected. . .

IMG_2761.thumb.jpg.37975c567f5d3232fb016d5a1633e7b4.jpg

^ I'd advise Mark not to worry at all about the wiring connections.. as I plan to go through every one of them on the car - to get rid of the poorly done home blue and yellow crimped and to otherwise clean and Vaseline every connection. Again it may only seem a little thing, but for those poor connections they had to pull apart - they've replaced the crimps with brass bullets, soldered on.  And they've also provided new bullet connector sleeves ..at their own cost.  Mark said that they couldn't just put it back together as it was, it was against the grain. 

IMG_2359.jpg.6f00e4f2f2577d9dfbf5f5af9385a3e4.jpg

^ The car now running around the yard to check the mechanicals & systems.  Presently riding very high on (standard) suspension springs and poly-bushes, not least because as seen there's lesser weight without bonnet, weather gear and interior trim, empty fuel tank, etc.     

Then it was "simply a matter refitting the panels for best alignment (as well as those panels might fit without being reworked and repainted). . 

IMG_2786.thumb.jpg.963ef1d83781b23dbccffab5fce59e43.jpg    IMG_2785.thumb.jpg.61f830f0f591067b8354690a18801d13.jpg

IMG_2790.jpg.efac4d5d89074b013016c6250da980ee.jpg

IMG_2811.thumb.jpg.d2efa0e942d1d967d67a59bfe97f775a.jpg

^ Yet again Mark has done more than I might have expected.., insomuch as I'd previously reported the rear hood bow hinge brackets had broken off both sides.  I've not driven the car with the roof on yet and so it wasn't of major concern but a job I'd do whenever I next had my welder out.  Instead M&T have made those repairs and the hood is serviceable again.  

Thanks Mark and the Team 

Pete.

In the meantime, around about the middle of the month,  I phoned the TR Register's insurance agent, and told them of the chassis change, plus the usual strengthening mods and that I've had additional stiffening added, including along the rear rails for when I fit a towing bracket.  I explained that this work was done by M&T Classics, along with all the suspension parts being dismantled and regreased, new bolts, poly-bushes throughout, etc. Also that the gearbox has been rebuilt, the clutch replaced, along with all the rubber parts like heater & coolant hoses. Again that I'm changing from wire wheels to standard 4J x15 steel wheels, which now have new tyres, and that I'll be fitting new carpets. 

Citing someone on the TSSC forum who values Triumphs for their insurance scheme., that the car seemed A1+ in most areas, I've raised the insurance value of this car to that proposed by the TSSC. The insurance company will require another set of photos, which I suggested I'll send them at the end of next week, and an additional £21 (inc a nominal £5 admin fee).  But otherwise the gentleman (insurance broker) didn't seem to flinch when I mentioned the new value, indeed he pointed out that a TR4 was presently advertised on C&C for the same and that very recently a dealer was asking £5 - 6k more for a 4A.  It all seems like Monopoly money to me and inconceivable that I might possibly own a car of this apparent value.

On the other tack, yesterday I had the new tyres fitted and balanced (stick on weights on their insides only) . . .

P1390001s.thumb.JPG.cd9da5bd57967808bb0324c395b3a71f.JPG

Little by little I'm making progress..

Pete

Moving on, a couple of days ago mark sent me the latest photos ..as the car now comes to completion. . .

IMG_2844.jpg.9193f3ce0351964751e01fca93f90b2b.jpg

^Not the best of photos, but aside from the primer colour of the sill, were now looking at door gaps.. which as you can see is now much better at the top rear corner (where it was 14mm tapering down to 3mm). The gap along the sill is also even.  This is pretty amazing considering nothing has been done to the door or wings, only the sill.

IMG_2846.jpg.f29d9fb0e2d96075c26bd62b8d9bfec2.jpg    IMG_2845.thumb.jpg.f57205ad608b5656be55d1557e52a9e5.jpg

^ whilst not perfect, it's probably as good as the factory ever built the cars to and very respectable for a driver's car that was mostly restored 22+ years ago  (..most of what has recently been done cannot now be seen).  Once I spray that sill red., these door gaps will hardly be noticeable.  To achieve better still, would have involved M&T reshaping the door skin and rear wing (which Mark tells me have been replaced at some time) and possibly cutting out and moving the A and B posts too.!   and that sort of work would necessitate a respray ..and cost a whole lot more.

IMG_2851.thumb.jpg.53b993db0393b90089181d9be59f15c8.jpg    IMG_2852.thumb.jpg.97d05c12a64993b13857ddb401e7dd8a.jpg

^ Driver's side is a little larger than Mark's ideal, but again perfectly acceptable in my opinion.

IMG_2848.thumb.jpg.18e7750b09cb363f14e0f196340e4c74.jpg

^ All back together and on the road.  Indeed the car is being used on the road this week, its tracking is to be done and then will be taken for an MOT.

IMG_2850.jpg.da0c003d48aa27b623660e88ef7c5731.jpg

^ so to the tail end of the chassis swap.    The car is yet to settle onto its suspension but is near ready for collection, which I'm hoping to do next week. 

I think you'll agree the work done by M&T has been great, not least because of my limited budget they've empathically worked to.  Fortunately, the overall cost ..although a bitter pill to swallow, was workable (at this moment in time - thanks to a gift of inheritance from my aunt), especially since I've sold the car's original chassis and wire wheels. 

I've now got a car which has been thoroughly been attended to (chassis strengthening, suspension & pipes, body rubbers to door gaps) and so ought to good to go touring in, and which have invested in the value of the car.   

I look forward to seeing the pressed steel wheels on her, and then having a really decent driver where all the maintenance and jobs are done.!

Cheers, Pete

2 hours ago, Bfg said:

On the other tack, yesterday I had the new tyres fitted and balanced (stick on weights on their insides only) . . . Little by little I'm making progress.. Pete

Great news!

And don't the steel wheels look "the business"! Very smart finish. What size tyres have you fitted? My guess is 165s, which, in my view, are the best for general road use. Didn't know the wheel balancing weights could go on the inside rims. M&T do sound like an honest and reliable outfit.

After all the trials and tribulations with the North American TR for restoration, it sounds like you now have a really nice car, with scope for any tweaks you can think of, now that the essentials have been taken care of; talking of which, are you considering replacing the existing lump (the original?) with your  previously rebuilt engine?

Edited by DavidBee
On 7/16/2021 at 12:35 PM, Lebro said:

Just ordered a set of 8 studs (+½")  & while I was there ended up ordering a set of their chrome moly pushrods, I am still on the original solid steel ones, which are too long now I have had the head & block skimmed, with these (you can shorten them to suit) I can take out the shims under my rocker pedestals.

Bob.

Is there not an issue with the brake drum stud holes being a lot bigger diameter than the stud thread they will locate on when you fit pull in splined studs?   This is all to do with the shoulder on the original studs that locates in the drum.   When fitting later IRS car 9” drums to a late Rigid axle car you have to open up the stud holes.

Peter W

Well Pete, what a difference! I bet your well happy and cannot wait to get Katie back, I bet the first drive down the motorway will be really exciting and when you get on the country roads near you you’ll keep driving all night, (remember to put some petrol in before you leave Marks) Hope to meet up with you and Katie at Malvern. 
Looks like you found a good team to sort you TR out.

Mike redrose group 

I shall also try and look out for Katie at Malvern, it looks to be a super job by Mark and his team. I can't wait to see what you think when you have your first drive after all the work has been done.

Gareth.

1 hour ago, DavidBee said:

Great news!

And don't the steel wheels look "the business"! Very smart finish. What size tyres have you fitted? My guess is 165s, which, in my view, are the best for general road use. Didn't know the wheel balancing weights could go on the inside rims. M&T do sound like an honest and reliable outfit.

After all the trials and tribulations with the North American TR for restoration, it sounds like you now have a really nice car, with scope for any tweaks you can think of, now that the essentials have been taken care of; talking of which, are you considering replacing the existing lump (the original?) with your  previously rebuilt engine?

Tyres are indeed 165/80-15 87T.  I've gone for budget priced but brand new Continental CT-22's which I think both look good and I might only hope will perform well enough. They are however only summer rated tyres, and I would have preferred All-season.  In all practicality, I guess this would just mean that I cannot tour some countries during the other three seasons.  I also have reservations about Continental Tyres ..having had motorcycle tyres of that brand fail on me ( just 400 mile old, the MOT station spotted the rear tyre cracked, inside the tread, for two-third the way around its perimeter. This happened twice ! and their customer service was useless) ..so I won't use their bike tyres now.  I'll also be watching these very carefully indeed.    

I can think of lots of tweaks :D

No plans, and absolutely hoping not having to, swap the engines over.  This one is is not of high tune, with a TR4 (rather than 4A) cylinder head, but I hope it will be fine in practice and possibly just as economical for touring. I'm told it didn't bellow smoke when I hard accelerated away (when overtaking as we delivered the car to M&T ) so I guess it can't be all bad.  At some time I'll drop the sump to clean things out, and at the same time pull the check for tolerance the oil pump. I'll also check the crankshaft end float and possibly a big end cap or two to see what's what. Then I'd like to fit disposable cartridge oil filter.

I did however have a set of carbs expertly rebuilt, and also invested in a professionally refurbished distributor for that engine ..and those will very likely be fitted. My view is that a correctly tuned standard engine may be more beneficial (for my intended use) as uprating anything else.   In time I hope to also fit the beautiful alloy rocker cover Mike modified for me, and also the Alfin ribbed alloy brake drums. The engine's cooling fan I've already swapped, but I have yet to see if the engine is in the same place relative to the steering rack before I might swap across to the fan extension I had made in aluminium.  I do hope so.     

I find it incongruous that Triumph raised the TR's engine capacity, refined the cylinder head, changed the camshaft (?), fitted a twin down-pipe exhaust system, the carburettors, and also an improved inlet manifold for the TR4A  ...only to achieve an increase of 5 bhp ! ?  A word beginning with the letter B and ending in ..ks comes to mind. But the point is that I'll not be racing against VW GTi's or whatever the modern chinese equivalent is, nor even do I plan to challenge a Tesla to a sprint.  And so for a touring car I'll see how it goes.

Pete.   B)

1 hour ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Is there not an issue with the brake drum stud holes being a lot bigger diameter than the stud thread they will locate on when you fit pull in splined studs?   This is all to do with the shoulder on the original studs that locates in the drum.   When fitting later IRS car 9” drums to a late Rigid axle car you have to open up the stud holes.

Peter W

I didnt have any trouble with that when I did it but I fitted 10" backplates and Alfins.

Stuart.

40 minutes ago, BRENDA1 said:

Well Pete, what a difference! I bet your well happy and cannot wait to get Katie back, I bet the first drive down the motorway will be really exciting and when you get on the country roads near you you’ll keep driving all night, (remember to put some petrol in before you leave Marks) Hope to meet up with you and Katie at Malvern. 
Looks like you found a good team to sort you TR out.

Mike redrose group 

Thanks Mike, and also David and Gareth for your encouraging posts. 

Tbh I'd lost my buzz some time ago, not least because I'm sick n' tired of my little apartment being more like a garage / shed / workshop store.   That mindset hasn't been helped by the trailer I'm building - not going nearly as well as it might ..which then led me to erect a shelter to keep the worst of this summer's incessant rain showers off.  I'm hoping to collect the car next week but at the moment it wouldn't worry me if that doesn't happen.  My mind is a fickle thing and with an unfortunate tendency to slip into the shadows. 

However, now that the makeshift / gazebo shelter is doing it's job, and the trailer has progressed a little further, whereby I can now see its shape ..and I am encouraged by seeing the car reassembled again. Both together they represent the dream of touring ..and being one step closer to becoming feasible.   I'm also motivated by Mark and his team having done such a great job on the chassis mods I wanted.  Although I'm paying them to do the work - I'm also indebted, to Mark in particular, for his always upbeat demeanor and how he accommodated my (perhaps peculiar) requests despite the limited budget.  It's actually been a pleasure  ..whereas I can honestly say that almost every other experience I've had with professional services (across all industries) have upset me as much, or more, than they've contributed.  So it's a truly HUGE step forward, for me, to be at this stage and not be so totally p's'd off,  broke,  frustrated and/or  hugely disappointed ..that I just want to sell the car !

I've done that quite a few times now and mostly ..often some years later, wished I hadn't.  I'd then go looking for another classic ..to start off again down a similar route of more frustration and disappointment.  This time I recognize I'm getting too old to keep starting again, so it'll be best just put things aside and come back to them later.  However one of Mark's photos caught my eye.  The one of where the bonnet had just been refitted, and viewed from the front is open. Mark wipes the panels off with a chamois leather and there's a lovely reflection in the paint's sheen. I can't say why ..but it struck a harmonic cord with me and I'm interested in the car again.   

I'll not be excited to drive on any motorway, but I will be very glad to be back safely and without issue. Thereafter, I hope to go for a drive one quiet evening in the countryside, after all the commuters have settle behind their TV's, and I'll enjoy driving a TR again.  

I'll not be going to Malvern this year, but hope to make the TSSC club meeting at Duxford in September, once I've got the car back together again, bumpers on, etc, and with the wiring checked, the gearbox cover replaced, the interior re-trimmed, surrey top fitted, and of course a towing hitch.

Watch this space.

Pete

22 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Peter W

I'm expecting to have to open up the holes. 

Bob

• 2 weeks later...

Two weeks later . . .

Since the encouraging photos of the door gaps and news that the car was back on the road..  it was mostly a matter of doing a 50 miles shakedown before I collected it and drove off down the M6.  In conversation, Mark spoke of having it pre-MOT checked, just so an independent mechanic might look over the car, so I suggested we get a full MOT.  That was done on the 30th . . .

• Date tested 30 July 2021 - Pass
  • Mileage 38,458 miles
  • Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
  • Nearside Rear Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))
  • Offside Rear Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))

Oddly, the fact that those tyres are 27 years old doesn't warrant an advisory.  In any case the replacement pressed steel wheels and new tyres are ready to be fitted when I collect.  Nor does the MOT mention that there's only one seat (and one seat belt), nor the fact that the bumper over-riders are in the boot so there's no number plate illumination.   Still if anything was just slightly amiss then Mum's the word and things would have been quietly rectified, while anything more serious would have been noted. So guess all is well. 

Collecting the car then ? 

Not quite yet, because as it turns out - the joint between the gearbox and overdrive has developed a leak (..the gearbox was rebuilt but not the overdrive unit). That can happen when things are disturbed. As it turns out the studs were odd and one or two have stripped out.  Why it wasn't spotted during reassembly, I don't know.  Ken at Classic Transmissions had the assembly back and oversized studs were ordered.  That was a few more days delay.

With new studs and gaskets - the assembled parts still leak ..but only when the overdrive is engaged.  Despite best efforts they cannot actually say where the leak is coming from, and Ken now suspects there's a hairline crack in the overdrive's casing.  There is however, an aluminium adapter plate between the two ..and it's quite common for these to warp when inappropriately tightened (according to a friend who knows about such things).  I asked if the flatness of mine had been checked, and apparently not.  Ken now has the gearbox / overdrive assembly back again, and I understand was to have the latter driven down to Overdrive Spares in Rugby, who will pressure test and generally check the unit over and, if required, rebuild it.  Mark has suggested that they will get that done this week.

The bills just keeps mounting., but everyone concerned is being very fair to me, insomuch as they appear to all be doing this at trade prices.  I cannot say fairer than that and really appreciate their kindness.   

In my opinion, no blame is to be apportioned on a car that was clearly a learning curve for amateur restoration 22 years ago.  All things considered, Katie's  done very well to hold together for this long, and that's probably down to Bob Bell (the prior owner) only very lightly driving the car.  Quite possibly this leak had been there all these years but was not an issue when the car was only used in fine weather to the local club meeting or shows.  A gentle amber through town and small country lanes, the overdrive would hardly have been engaged.  And so what if a 1960's Triumph dripped a little oil sometimes.  Most anyone who owned a 1960's Triumph motorcycle would know more about oil leaks !

I did anticipate things not happening quite as planned (..I have a lifetime of such experiences), and so I didn't make plans to go to Malvern this year.  Tbh I feel too tired to be rushing around to meet a deadline which, although hopefully a really great event.. is not the only show to go to.  I'm avoiding the stress ! 

I'm sure the car will be ready for collection soon, in time for pleasant autumnal drives. 

Pete.

Hi Pete, good that the lads are getting it all sorted for you, then you can get her home to finish of you bit and bobs and then get some miles on the clock with confidence that she is safe and sound. And there’s always next year for the International for you to catch up with everyone. Look forward to seeing the photos when you get her back home.

Mike Redrose group 

Thanks Mike  ..me too.  oh and the insurance company want as set of photos too.  

I now look forward to getting some miles on the clock.   Of course I still have a long list of jobs to do, but there's no real deadline ..so I can tackle those one at a time until the list gets short enough not to worry about.  Surrey top and reliability issues to tackle first.   

Good luck with Brenda  in Pride of Ownership.  I'm sure she's sparkling.  I've quite a collection of photos of her now. Thanks for keep posting ..I just love the look of your car.

Pete.  

I sympathize over the mounting costs. You get that uneasy feeling things are getting out of control. But look: the chassis in a TR is the car's foundation, and now, thanks to your design skills and great cooperation from Mark's garage, your TR4A is as solid as a rock. The body is sorted too and even the engine. Should you later want to do more, you could replace it with the one you built yourself. Just when you're nearly there, that feeling comes. But the hardest part is done. Serious fun and miles ahead!

David

The overdrive was delivered to OD spares, as planned, and inspected.  Apparently the leak is from a crack in the case by the solenoid mount.  My car's overdrive has now been replaced with an already rebuilt one that went to Malvern (displayed on the OD Spares stand) ..so at least part of the car made it there this year ! 

Katie is now back together again..  due to very quick service from  OD Spares, Ken & Tom of Classic Transmissions, Mark and Keith (the mechanic who works with M&T Classics).  

I hope to go up on Thursday morning to take the steel wheels, to test drive the car for myself ..and to pay the bill !  Then, all being well, I guess I'll go up by train to collect her early next week. 

Pete.  

Edited by Bfg
4 hours ago, Bfg said:

The overdrive was delivered to OD spares, as planned, and inspected.  Apparently the leak is from a crack in the case by the solenoid mount.  My car's overdrive has now been replaced with an already rebuilt one that went to Malvern (displayed on the OD Spares stand) ..so at least part of the car made it there this year ! 

Katie is now back together again..  due to very quick service from  OD Spares, Ken & Tom of Classic Transmissions, Mark and Keith (the mechanic who works with M&T Classics).  

I hope to go up on Thursday morning to take the steel wheels, to test drive the car for myself ..and to pay the bill !  Then, all being well, I guess I'll go up by train to collect her early next week. 

Pete.  

Great news! Looking forward to the next instalment. 

Gareth

Pete

thats great news ( apart from the bill bit)

and I know it’s worth it I am sure that you will be a driver tourer and it will give you very many years of happy experiences and memories 

well done that man as you have had to deal with sooo much other angst too, you deserve the future enjoyment.

• 2 weeks later...

The overdrive was replaced with a reconditioned exchange from OD Spares, in Rugby, and I went up to view and test drive the car some ten-days ago now.  I also delivered the pressed-steel wheels with new tyres, and travel essentials (..like tools, oil & water, a cushion, a thick coat and a bobble-less hat). There still were a number of items yet to be addressed, which were checked out last week, so the car was ready for collection on Friday. The ride height I've agreed to sort out when I get the car back, most probably I'll start by refitting the original springs. 

I don't like to travel on Mondays or Fridays, and then it was a bank holiday, so I've now booked the train ticket (8am Ipswich-Wolverhampton 12:15) to drive the car back on Wednesday. 

Pete.

P1390246a.thumb.JPG.4af94025ea9dfc8bf62468bb7ebe8079.JPG

^  Mark of M&T Classics who have delivered the goods, done the deed, and made it happen in a most amicable way.. 

Looking forward to more pictures when you get her back. I'm sure you must have mentioned the springs, but were different ones fitted and you have the originals? 

She certainly looks the part in that photo, great to see the steels on too.

Gareth

Last minute change of plan is that my friend Rich, from the TR's East Saxon's Alma group, has offered me a lift up to Wolverhampton tomorrow.  B)  I've cancelled the train ticket and got 40% of its cost back ..which will buy lunch.  He has a couple of drops to suppliers en-route but nevertheless it's very kind of him, not least because it's reassuring to have someone to watch our tail on the return trip.  

4 hours ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

you must have mentioned the springs, but were different ones fitted and you have the originals? 

All four springs were swapped out for another set Mark had from a TR4A that was sitting square.  Katie was previously just a little low at the back and 1/2" lower on the driver's side.  Slimmer thickness (7mm ?) black polybush collars replaced the compacted rubber ones, of which possibly two of the eight were missing.  However although the car is now sitting level, front to rear and left to right, she's also sitting very high (approx 5" clear gap between the top of the tyre and the wheel arch) and with an excess of positive camber.  Aside from looking odd, this can only be detrimental to straight line stability and the car's handling around corners.

P1390247s.JPG.29722905292d31ab4287e7c8983804f6.JPG

^ There was no spare wheel in the boot, which I guess would weigh about 14kg ( ..that's the weight of a pressed-steel wheel and brand new tyre), and there's very little fuel and no passenger seat, but even so.. having been fitted with used springs and polybush collars, and with the car already having been driven for 70 - 80 miles since fitting - I cannot envisage that they will settle very much more than we presently see.  

Clearly the extra bracing to the chassis didn't weigh that much !    (..at one time I estimated the additional weight of gussets, cross bracing, and the additional 5.5mm thick web inside the rear chassis rails to total 15 to 16 kg).

IMG_2176a.thumb.jpg.88d25df8a8bc8860a06b5e5738cceb84.jpg

I have read and digested the articles written on Buckeye Triumph  and other advise given in the various threads on this forum.  And so I checked the photos of this chassis's assembly (above)  ..and the trailing arm brackets appear to be fitted correctly for a 4A ..with single notch inboard and a double notch outboard. All notches are facing upwards, and I'm told that two shims have been fitted behind each (this was before the tracking was checked and presumably adjusted).  Whether rubber or red poly-bushes in those trailing arm mounts will make no difference to the ride height, only to the transmission of suspension vibration through to the car.  The lever arm dampers are the original pair, and I see no indication that the chassis's spring cups have been altered from standard - so I might only suppose that the replacement springs must have be "upgraded" ..either in their length &/or stiffness. 

I am of course open to any other suggestion, or perhaps someone might spot something amiss ?

Thanks,

Pete

Good morning,  and hey ho it's very nearly the weekend.. A couple of days ago, Wednesday, I collected Katie, from Wolverhampton.  Although not all as pre-planned. .

Having posted on the TR forum that I was about to, my friend Rich  from our local club group, who meet at The Alma, Copford, nr Colchester, once a month, dropped me a line to say that he would be glad to give me a lift up there and to be a shadow vehicle for the trip back.  He had a couple of stops to make to suppliers en-route anyway, and he'd enjoy the day out.  OK great, very much last minute but the prospect of not having to use a taxi and public transport to get up there, and equally having someone to watch our tail on the way back was very welcome. I cancelled the train tickets and got something close to 40% of their value back. That'll pay for lunch.  You've got to love the way the ticket office charge a five and half quid booking fee and then ten and a half quid cancellation fee !   Nevertheless, thanks to Rich I also saved a £10 taxi fare from my apartment to the station, and it meant that I didn't need to get up quite so early.  <_<

Rich collected me and after a quick cuppa we headed off up the A14. Traffic when leaving at eight in the morning was pretty clear and our timing was to go around Cambridge just after the 9am rush hour had cleared.  All was well, but then there was a traffic accident ahead and we were stopped in the fast lane for the best part of hour.  No "leaves on the track" though.  According to my preferred schedule we got up to Wolverhampton, and their local pub (the Storehouse) for midday, just when it opens for lunch.  I don't suppose you can beat the value of two meals and two drinks for £13.50 in many places nowadays.  My chunky steak and mushroom pie with big fat crispy chips and fresh garden peas was excellent, as was I gather Rich's culinary delight.. faggots and mash.   I guess we arrived at M&T shortly before 1:00.  The car was outside and washed off ..so looking sexy in red, in the bright but hazy sunlight.

Rich took the opportunity to sort through and buy some more spares, while Mark and I discussed our way through our final job list.  Again all was well.. that was until I started the engine, and there was a loud whine from the gearbox or clutch.  What the..?   Well, it transpires that a similar but lesser noise had been apparent before but then had gone away again.  For some inexplicable reason, after the car had been stood for a week and then just been pulled out of the garage, that noise was now back ..but with vengeance.  Not a rumble, but a pronounced whine. 

I must stress that Mark's involvement in the gearbox and overdrive saga was that of being a very helpful third party, who had removed the 'box when the engine was lifted from the chassis, and then he delivered it to Ken @ Classic Transmissions for rebuild.  M&T refitted it again and the engine/gearbox assembly was fitted back onto the replacement chassis.  That should have been an end to it, but it subsequently leaked, which necessitated it being removed again ..this time of course from the reassembled car.  He then delivered it again to Ken to be checked over.  The gearbox was found not to be the cause of the leak and so it was again refitted.  Then the overdrive was removed and taken across to O/D Spares in Rugby.  That was found to have a hairline crack in its case, and so was exchanged.  M&T fitted that and again tested things.  Job done.  And in the spirit of providing truly excellent service ..they swallowed the cost of the labour (gearbox and overdrive in and out).  

Now with this noise, Mark was again caught in the middle. It was agreed that we would quickly run Katie  over to Ken (Classic Transmissions) for their appraisal, and Keith the mechanic would join us there to discuss what might happen next.  And so as Rich packed his newly acquired bits into the car, Mark and I amicably shook hands and it was time for me to take the whirring noise issue to Ken.  I followed Rich down the lane and up the road ..and before we'd gone a mile the noise stopped completely.   

Thankfully Rich was my witness ..that I wasn't making a big fuss about nothing, but still the noise had gone.  We put it down to the new thrust bearing supplied with the Borg & Beck clutch (I had fitted myself).  It was great to catch up with Ken though.. as it's been six years since I took my Jag gearbox to him for its rebuild.  At that time his wife had just died and his son was diagnosed with cancer.  Thankfully his son, who I met on this occasion was a picture of health.  More so perhaps because of his full head of hair and truly excellent wavy beard ..that he grew in defiance of the side effects of chemotherapy.  Apparently throughout the treatment he didn't suffer any hair loss at all.  Brilliant to meet him and great to now see his working with enthusiasm and in-depth knowledge alongside his father. 

I expressed my thanks and also to Keith who had been instrumental in the reassembly of Katie's  mechanicals.  And so again Rich & I hit the road.  Next stop., Birmingham to one of his suppliers.  Whereas I would have gone back onto the M6 and then down into Birmingham on the Aston Expressway, Rich was following directions given by Mssr Garmin which I guess was heading the most direct route ..though a host of traffic lights and the black country condominium of towns.  Bearing in mind that I neither knew where I was going (which turned out to be nearby Edgbaston University, to the south of the city), and am very un-familiar with driving this car, and perhaps a little anxious that everything was going to be OK..  We did well enough to arrive together.  

That business was soon concluded, and so we headed back into the metropolis.  After the sat nav took us around a roundabout rather through an underpass to the A38, I took the lead out to Spaghetti junction and the M6 home.  Katie  was running well, and quieter and smoother too, for the first time we were driving on her pressed-steel / balanced wheels.  I kept my eye on the minor ..but ironically more important, gauges to see that nothing amiss was about to happen and otherwise kept a listening watch for anything out of the ordinary.  There is a slight metallic chink over some road imperfections, but I couldn't say if that was from loose items within the car, or boot, or doors (no trim panels in place) ..or whether that noise was perhaps from the exhaust just flexing on its rubber mounts and lightly making contact with the chassis.  Gearbox and overdrive were each working fine, and Mark had again excelled in the detailing of his service by somehow minimizing the rattles from door mechanisms and side glass. 

I noted vibration from the rear end (a rear wheel or the drive train) at lower speeds, around 50mph, but this was all but undetectable at 65-70mph (2250 - 2500 rpm in overdrive) so that set my cruising speed.  Btw, I say rear end because there was very little wobble felt though the steering wheel.  I could also feel engine vibration, while at town traffic speeds, which I mostly attribute to the fan extension ..which is atrocious un-true on this particularly engine.  But on the whole ; the car was verging being an acceptable drive.  I wouldn't go as far as to say civilised ..and definitely not refined, but Katie  was at least revealing possibilities.  I'd had a taste of those way-back-when I drove MIke's (TR4A with surrey top)  and Rich's very own first-class TR4. That excellent occasion had been on a sunny summer's evening and along twisty country lanes, which of course is a very different environment to driving along one of the country's busiest motorways at 70mph, where the wind buffeting and tyre noise from all traffic is relentlessly intrusive. 

I don't suppose it's going to be pleasant in any 1960's open top sports-car, but still.. the M6 soon passed under the tyres, and off we headed east along the A14.  Totally unexpected there was a loud and distinctively metallic rattle from the engine. I happened to be in the fast lane overtaking, and Rich was following two or three cars behind me.  There must have been a guardian angel watching over us because I immediately spotted an exit ramp less than 1/4 mile ahead, and so after a quick check in the mirrors I slipped across the three lanes and directly off the dual carriageway.  Rich safely managed to do the same and followed me up the ramp as I coasted into a farmer's gated field entrance.  From the driver's seat, the engine clanking at tick-over sounded like a big-end had given up the ghost. Oil pressure was down to 20-25psi.  Rich was standing there alongside me even before I could find the bonnet pull.  And then again before I'd even lifted my bulk out of the seat - he'd diagnosed the water pump pulley was flaying around.  Too hot to put your hand on it Rich.! 

The immediate thought was that the water pump's bearings must have disintegrated.  Again fortunately, this water pump was of the bolt-on pulley type, so out with the tools (I had taken them up to the car on my previous visit).  Rich levering down on the fan-belt stopped the pulley from turning, enabled me to undo the lock nut.  The pulley pretty much fell off and Rich spotted a bit fall to the ground.  I marked the spot with a small socket and rolled the car back to see what we might find ..but there was nothing much there. Perhaps just a chipped off piece from the inside of the die-cast aluminium pulley.  The groove for the woodruff key in the water pump's spindle was full of black dust. Clearly there had not been a key fitted.  How it had lasted this long in service will remain a mystery, but the really quite extraordinary thing was that Rich had just bought three or four water pumps from Mark ..and had them in his car.  And a couple of those had bolt-on pulley wheels which had already been undone.   Katie's  water pump bearings were free running and intact, and it wasn't leaking.  Although the top face of the water pump had been well chafed by the loose pulley (..evident as the excessive rattling noise) the spindle itself was also fine.  

We borrowed another pulley off one of Rich's newly acquired pumps but unfortunately, with the roadside tools we had, we couldn't get its woodruff key out (without risking damaging it) so we likewise fitted this replacement pulley without one.. but with a thick washer and another nut.  Pretty soon we had things back together again. And as we sped off along the A14 again (next turning was the A1 motorway, so we had been lucky to find a solitary slip-road to pull off).. the car / engine was quieter than I'd previously known it.  So I guess that pulley had been turning but rattling a little loose since I bought the car.  

Next stop was a filling station, as the gauge was reading empty.  It had £30 of fuel in the tank when we left, but the gauge's reading is not linear and soon reads nothing.  During our roadside stop, I had spotted a drip of petrol from the pipe between one carb and the next, and so Rich secured it a little tighter with a cable tie.  Naturally, I cannot say how much petrol had been lost to the road since Wolverhampton.  Fuel pipes were on my list to be replaced anyway.!   The pulley had started to make a tinkering noise again so we pinched up that nut for the next leg of our journey home, via a quick diversion to Bury St. Edmunds to drop off some more bits to a local supplier.  While Rich was attending to that I removed the water pump pulley's nut yet again and this time also added a lock washer.  A more modest pace saw us to my home just as it was getting dark. Rich had another half an hour to go. 

It had been a long day,  350 miles would have been a long day in many a modern car, but with half of that in Katie  it was ever the more so.  Although we had just a few spits of light drizzle the weather had been overcast most of the day but very mild.  I drove back with the roof down, in a long-sleeve shirt and sleeveless quilted vest / waistcoat, and of course my bobble-less woolly hat. This was with the heater valve almost closed, and I was comfortable enough into the evening. 

All in all then, the journey bringing her home was a success.  Rich is good company to be with, interesting and knowledgeable, a reliable wing-man and a blessing when it came to roadside repair ..and parts supplies !  He's even allowed me to buy one of his water pumps at a very generous price.  Thank you Rich.. You deserve a TR medal for your dedicated help and support to new members / new owners.  

Katie  is now back to where we were three months ago ..save a very much more solid foundation to build upon.  Although most items on our job list are still to be tackled - there's a host of jobs now done by Mark and his Team ..that hadn't even made the job-list.  The chassis is reinforced, both in the usual places and otherwise where I wanted, there a jacking pads to protect the main rails from getting dented in, and it's freshly painted and wax injected.  The body is now sitting on new rubber mounting pads and is riding square, and the outer sill has been replaced, the body shell made solid again, and the door gaps very much better adjusted.  All the suspension has been checked, and although the ride height is still to be adjusted, it ought now be easy to do.  Many other jobs have been done, some of which I specifically asked for (like replacing every brake flexi-pipe) and others Mark has done or had done out of his own kindness to help me along the way (..door check straps, the drain pipes from the fresh-air-plenum, are just two items on what would be a lengthy list).  And he's gone beyond the call of duty (mostly providing the labour at his own expense) to help get the gearbox and overdrive rebuilt. I am indebted.   BIG Thank you to M&T, Keith the mechanic, Classic Transmissions, and also Overdrive Spares. 

Now it's down to me to both get on with Katie's ongoing recommissioning ..and to enjoy driving her - because surely that would be the best way to honour those who have helped me along the way. B)

Pete 

P1390350s.JPG.c80a988c270900ee231bf1f8cca2709e.JPG       P1390349s.JPG.45a3051fd06494c4b206183d165d4f1f.JPG

P1390353s.JPG.0a92062354fd377f283e66a0d9475001.JPG    P1390354s.JPG.0f335b396c6526408f6bb8d1cc07a301.JPG

^ Precision engineering .. roadside version.  I might add that the chunky molegrips and claw hammer were the tools Rich had with him. As an engineer I cannot be seen to have such tools ..but sometimes I'm glad to borrow them  :P

P1390345s.thumb.JPG.e3662c52d87f2a2c0d7605ba6d659ca9.JPG

^ Rich, excellent wing-man, navigator extraordinaire, and able spanner man too  ..as I watch on from behind the camera !

P1390362.thumb.JPG.061b4be1c850965540c84d3d8ce40757.JPG

^ The morning after Katie on her pressed steel wheels, sitting a little high, but we'll sort that out in due course.

First task is of course to fit a woodruff key to that water pump pulley and to order new E10 proof fuel pipes along with decent clips.

That's it for today.   Triumph Sports Six Club meeting at Duxford on Sunday 5th. 

Hoping to be there.

Pete.  

Edited by Bfg

Lovely write up Pete 

and I’m so please that you have  her home safe with the help of some great people. 

now enjoy 

H