• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pete - DON'T give up with owning a TR - there are other cars out there - just put the word out on here and elsewhere and I'm sure something will come up Chin up  Cheers Rich

Or these people? http://www.leacyclassics.com/parts/classicmini/engine-components/2k7440.html Roger

. Carrying on from TR4 -v- Tr4A engine, and my purchasing a 'spare'  < here >  ..so that I might get on and have an engine ready by the time the Chance is actually bought and shipped,  we h

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Bfg said:

Ok, thanks.., but just a tad more information might be helpful.

Pete 

Too hard a compound for road use really, red is normally race, yellow fast road and blue standard road. Some manufacturers also use orange. careful selection of hardness is essential.

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

Too hard a compound for road use really, red is normally race, yellow fast road and blue standard road. Some manufacturers also use orange. careful selection of hardness is essential.

Stuart.

Thanks ntc and Stuart, 

The poly suspension bushes were on the car as fitted by the prior owner.  Supplied by TRGB they are listed on the invoice as Poly44.  Mark has reused them but has replaced the bolts. A new sleeve was required for one side trailing arm where the old bolt had seized in, but otherwise as the car was before.

Pete.

7 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Have you got the brass threaded bit for the speedo cable angle drive to screw onto?

Peter W

yes,

P1380241s.JPG.e0aa486b05c58b546dba017ceda6df5d.JPG

^ ..from when we replaced the clutch and its release mechanism. I was then looking into fitting the steel gearbox cover.  Even then the right-angle drive necessitates a localised bulge in that cover.  A more compact connection / change in direction would be nice. 

Pete.

Will the early car set up work?   Cable comes straight out through the cover, then down through the floor looping forward up to and through the bulkhead to the speedo.   Cable is 84” long instead of 69”

image.thumb.jpeg.fb89dd23d4a66def76861c0ecc034ab6.jpeg

1 hour ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Will the early car set up work?   Cable comes straight out through the cover, then down through the floor looping forward up to and through the bulkhead to the speedo.   Cable is 84” long instead of 69”

Only if you cut a hole in the floor, bit of a backward step really.

Stuart.

There's a small screwed-on panel which fits over the 90-degree angle drive, and although it bulges out an inch or so under the carpet - it's not worth changing for the sake of replacing it with another (custom made) cable cover. 

Pete.

On 6/29/2021 at 10:58 AM, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

What car was that fitted to Pete ?  never seen it but always learning.

Roy

Quick update from Mark on Tuesday ..

IMG_2208.thumb.jpg.a343590933d2a740959526968d715936.jpg    IMG_2223.jpg.a5de8ea658648f7ba108908a4113a3b6.jpg

Body tub back on and I'm told all the body-mount holes lined up beautifully ..and with even shimming its sitting nicely square.

IMG_2215.thumb.jpg.76458b3f23f145eb6b560215fbcf773d.jpg

Oh dear, Katie  looks to have lost a lot of weight.

IMG_2224.thumb.jpg.83aa275aeff5e107839dbbbba7e224f1.jpg

^ Doors being fitted and carefully aligned.

I'm to give Mark a call this morning, and hopefully he'll share further news of excellent progress.

Pete

this brill news and mark and his team seem to be very good with good comms which is nice to see.

H

2 minutes ago, Hamish said:

this brill news and mark and his team seem to be very good with good comms which is nice to see.

H

Very much so,  being able to talk and discuss things make the world of difference to a customer. 

I'm old fashioned enough to very much disliked self check-out tills at supermarkets, buying things from companies whose reception is an on-screen catalogue, who either have no contact number or else only call-centre agents in a different country, &/or where providers (banks to utility companies to government departments) provide 'a facility' rather than service, and their  terms are inflexible to customer preferences.   And I'm equally put off going to a pub and now only being able to order by app and not seeing, let alone speaking to, the landlord or bar staff.   So dealing with Mark, and his being willing to talk whenever I needed to, has actually been a relative joy  ('relative' only because I had a broken chassis and still have a bill to pay :rolleyes: ).  

Indeed, throughout this - I don't recall one occurrence where I've had to wait for the phone to be answered for more than half a minute, when he has been unavailable, when I've been put on-hold, transferred to another department or agent ..and had to repeat everything again.  I've not had to open an account, think up yet another pass-word, nor even give my date-of-birth.  When was the last time you phoned a company and been greeted, in a cheerful voice, by the owner / partner who knows exactly what the status of the work is  ..not even a file to be opened or to be looked up.  And yet with M&T this has happened every time I've called.  

Good comms is intrinsic to good service, and that is becoming rare.

i love my local bolt shop for that

a trade counter where i can seek the advice of a man in a brown coat who knows his stuff and doesn't mind me taking in nuts and bolts for comparison

with a stock of ancillaries from thread lock to work light torches etc

https://threadfast.co.uk/

4 hours ago, Bfg said:

I'm old fashioned enough to very much disliked self check-out tills at supermarkets, buying things from companies whose reception is an on-screen catalogue, who either have no contact number or else only call-centre agents in a different country, &/or where providers (banks to utility companies to government departments) provide 'a facility' rather than service, and their  terms are inflexible to customer preferences.   And I'm equally put off going to a pub and now only being able to order by app and not seeing, let alone speaking to, the landlord or bar staff.   So dealing with Mark, and his being willing to talk whenever I needed to, has actually been a relative joy  ('relative' only because I had a broken chassis and still have a bill to pay :rolleyes: ).  

Indeed, throughout this - I don't recall one occurrence where I've had to wait for the phone to be answered for more than half a minute, when he has been unavailable, when I've been put on-hold, transferred to another department or agent ..and had to repeat everything again.  I've not had to open an account, think up yet another pass-word, nor even give my date-of-birth.  When was the last time you phoned a company and been greeted, in a cheerful voice, by the owner / partner who knows exactly what the status of the work is  ..not even a file to be opened or to be looked up.  And yet with M&T this has happened every time I've called.  

Hello Pete,

If ever they do a new series of “Grumpy Old Men” I’ll put your name forward.:P

Charlie.

Really pleased to see your car coming together so quickly for you and looking good. Hope you can soon enjoy it again knowing the chassis is solid as well as all the other areas that have now had a good inspection. I've read your posts and know your bank balance has taken an unexpected battering but I hope you we soon recover from this and can enjoy owning a special car again.

All the best going forward

Richard

1 hour ago, Charlie D said:

Hello Pete,

If ever they do a new series of “Grumpy Old Men” I’ll put your name forward.:P

Charlie.

Hey less of the old .. around here I'm merely a kid :D

. . .  but yeah definitely grumpy  .. and with one foot still firmly in the 20th century.  

1 hour ago, Hamish said:

i love my local bolt shop for that

a trade counter where i can seek the advice of a man in a brown coat who knows his stuff and doesn't mind me taking in nuts and bolts for comparison

with a stock of ancillaries from thread lock to work light torches etc

https://threadfast.co.uk/

Likewise Suffolk Fasteners here in Ipswich.    B)

For the last few days I have been helping my son on his house rebuild, this morning we ran out of screws so I volunteered to go to Screwfix. No need said one of the other blokes we can pop along to the shop in the village.

Imagine my surprise it was a proper nut and bolt shop tucked away in the back of an industrial estate, I have lived here for 10 years and didn't have a clue it was there. Brilliant!

George 

Friday update  from Mark and his Team . . .

IMG_2252.jpg.ed5c48778e225bd59becb59fb400de89.jpg

IMG_2254.thumb.jpg.b8947faa07a834d0ae4b34298cf84519.jpg

^ drain pipe fitted and led through the front wheel-arch splash closure.  x4 wing fitting kits include new bolts, the correct clip-nuts & seals.

IMG_2241.thumb.jpg.cdd160ef66a5461a586a5814ae469d78.jpg       IMG_2242.thumb.jpg.634314e4269aa18ea30e4538d1c942e3.jpg

^ Door hanging and panel alignment, relative to the sill and each other.  The check strap has been replaced and it now clicks to hold the door open. That's a nice bonus :)

IMG_2246.jpg.f60e759d004827604e91704c3db8ff76.jpg

^ Chassis rear legs are sitting evenly level, both relative to datum floor and to the rear valance panel.

IMG_2245.jpg.4d6ea3ee5cb3ba0c3ff80b604c1f86dd.jpg

I might add that a whole bundle of work has happened ..but was barely noticed or reported on, such as correctly greasing each suspension and steering pivot and their reassembly with new bolts ..fitted with coppaslip.  Similarly refitting the whole IRS drive-train and the brakes happened in a blink - even though the cut-short wire-wheel studs were replaced, which necessitated the brake calipers coming off.  Those have of course been refitted as have the hydraulic systems. And when did any of those jobs just take five-minutes ! ?  

All in all steady progress has, and is constantly being made, but most of that work is in the smaller details.  I'm really glad to have a conscientious mechanic, who is experienced with TR's, ensure things are in both good order and done correctly.  B)

Bidding you a good weekend,

Pete.

Afternoon Pete, that’s really coming on now and is looking good, all you have to do is keep up the good work when you get her back ( which I know you will ) and you’ll be up and running in no time. We’re out for a 200 + mile run tomorrow but looks like it will be a little damp but it will wash Brenda.

Mike Redrose Group 

Hi Pete

Been following this thread and there is some good great work been done to revive your pride and joy! Your going to have a cracking car back to enjoy. Keep the updates coming!

Andy

The picture updates must be very reassuring that the job is being done right and they can be entrusted with your prize possession. 

I feel they will gain some work through this forum after people see what they are capable of. 

Looking forward to the next update. 

Gareth