David, no apologies needed - I only sought to understand. 

When one is working in Photoshop and focused on (and very often zoomed right the way in) to alter the pixels of someone else's photo, it is not easy to also render the exact design shape one is after. This is why I emphasis that the sculpturing needs to be done in the clay rather than on paper.  In retrospect (because I conceived the style many months ago) this illustration conveys ( i.m.o.) too flat a rear window and tail gate.  I feel it might better compliment the curvature of the boot lid itself.  

Had I been in the position to go ahead with this project, then I would have reworked this and other drawings a dozen or more times to explore variations .. of different rear and side window size and shapes / more tumble-home / with a roof gutter / a more rounded roof / various alternatives of tail gate opening and hinge arrangements / different rear bumper / number plate location and badging / etc / etc. 

But this is just a first-draft, and I suspect even Michelotti, Karmann, Harris mann, nor Triumph got their first round of sketches spot on.  In short ; the sketch is just a starting place not the final design.  These evolve in the mind's eye, on paper, nowadays in computer 3d models, and  even after it has been modeled in clay.    B)

Marco Hi. 

Radford's Aston DB5 shooting brake is just one of my inspirations, but indeed a notable one. 

Many years ago I helped Tony Stevens (Designer) create the Ladbrook-Avon Jaguar XJ estate and convertibles (below), as well as a stretched Range Rover shooting-brake for Rapport International.  I was positively intrigued by the very concept of converting two cars into an estate / shooting brake. Some years later, as a Jag owner I happened across the Xk150 shooting brake,  I love the XK150 anyway - so fell in love with it and I wanted one ..for that car's driving pleasure plus its added bonus of practically-sized and very usable space..  Although I did own a 150 Roadster for a short while I never explored the idea.  But over the years I've been quietly accumulating a collection of images and reports.  Only when coming back to the dream, and facing the prospect of building my own shooting-brake, and then also starting from a TR4,  did I remember the Radford's DB5  ..and noted the resemblance in their windscreen, front wing line, rear fins, etc.  Of course I came from the wrong side of the tracks to ever own an Aston, but that doesn't stop me from admiring and being inspired by them.  

Design styling is a subjective matter, and of course everyone tends towards being a designer.  To my eye the Radford DB5 is sublimely elegant from the front and sides, but the rear window is disproportionately big.  Indeed although it's not seen in that article's photos - when one looks at the car from a 3/4 rear perspective and with the tail-gate closed - the bottom corners of the rear window poke out ..most odd.   

"I wish you find a more dynamic styling."  I agree, but I might also hope it would be more apparent in a less pedestrian photo.

Cheers.  B)

.    565345269_2_Avon-StevensJaguarconvertible.jpg.e47a3625f597216ec6971d61626ed99b.jpg          322807570_3_Avon-StevensJaguarEstate.jpg.7259bdadbe4de5691ec5ccedcd9fbad2.jpg

^  Tony Stevens Automotive designer, with whom I started my design career, worked with Ladbrook-Avon Coach-builders in Warwickshire to create a series of these.  That was close to 40 years ago now but as a young man I was really inspired by what he could achieve with pencil n' paper and then an angle grinder & welder..

Pete.

Edited by Bfg
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pete - DON'T give up with owning a TR - there are other cars out there - just put the word out on here and elsewhere and I'm sure something will come up Chin up  Cheers Rich

Or these people? http://www.leacyclassics.com/parts/classicmini/engine-components/2k7440.html Roger

. Carrying on from TR4 -v- Tr4A engine, and my purchasing a 'spare'  < here >  ..so that I might get on and have an engine ready by the time the Chance is actually bought and shipped,  we h

Posted Images

TR4 engine rebuild quick update..

You may recall, although I must admit pre-corona-virus activities do seem another life ago,  I had been stripping and cleaning the spare TR4A engine I'd bought, and I'd taken the crankshaft and cylinder head into the machine shop for regrind and balancing, lightening the flywheel, and for the cyl.head to be converted to unleaded.  Upon subsequent receipt of those parts - I was concerned because the crankshaft had been excessively and very crudely angle-ground in an attempt to balance it, which at the time I couldn't understand  ..and so I wanted to take it to another machine shop for a second opinion. The covid lock-down prevented that happening and so the parts were wrapped up and put aside while I got on with rebuilding vintage motorcycle engines.  

However,  just prior to the shut down -  my friend Rich, from the East Saxons group, had kindly lent me a mandrel for positioning the crankshaft's rear scroll seal onto the cylinder block.  I'd not yet used it but John, I think also from our group, wanted to borrow it for a rebuild of a TR2  engine I believe.  So on Saturday morning I pulled the cylinder block out from under its wraps in the back of the garage and set-to quickly doing this task,  before wrapping and dropping that mandrel in for parcel delivery to John in the afternoon.

The following is a comic strip of my fitting the crankshaft's scroll seal on the block . . .

. P1350528s.jpg.dde1819025349a8a23ecb3a88d8b4ffb.jpg     P1350525s.jpg.d5f76942799ebb7bd88dd8b6fca41bc1.jpg

^ the mandrel I borrowed off Rich.  It's in aluminium so it's relatively lightweight to post but vulnerable to getting scratched or dented. Handle with care.  On this one, although seemingly otherwise new there were a couple of snags sitting proud along its edge.  With a fine file I very locally redressed those to be level with the adjacent surfaces.

.P1350514s.jpg.9289deed42a61e51461e65bff7dc7b0d.jpg

^ the original scroll seal (grey) versus my new scroll seal (anodized cyan blue) with its evolved design to also take a Land-Rover type lip-seal (made of viton).  NB. Before fitting I did run around the new scroll with a craft knife blade to remove a very sharp burr. 

.P1350510s.jpg.4e23aae8ea87bba38eb115f789b5d966.jpg

^ ..first up the engine stand prevents getting to where the rear crankshaft seal bolts onto, so that had to go. 

.P1350512s.thumb.jpg.a606f4e370916376a48f59f9fb13c469.jpg

^ After inverting the crankcase I used the overhead winch (from my garage roof beam) and strops to lower the engine case onto a wooden block. The winch remained in place as a safety guard but the weight rested on the timber ..which also stopped the engine swinging about as I fitted parts.  The mandrel serves as a substitute for the crankshaft and whatever sized main bearing shells might be used ..so it just sits into the rear main bearing seat without shells.  I pre-cleaned the seat and surrounding faces and oiled them, and the mandrel, before positioning it.

.P1350515s.thumb.jpg.7f888a9b4115e12d99c400dbcf188bf3.jpg

^  The cap / other half of the main bearing seat was likewise cleaned and oiled before being carefully placed.  With no seals in place - I used the two bolts (alternatively) to pull it down into place by hand.   Tip I often use this swivel on the end of the socket's extension bar as an easier-to-grip handle ..to finger tighten bolts rather than using a ratchet. This way I can feel that things are running in squarely and smoothly.  The cap / half seat was pulled down and its rear face leveled with the crankcase before the bolts were finally pinched up tight using the ratchet handle (but not fully torqued up for this operation).  That done, the mandrel was accurately located and pinched in place.

.P1350516s.jpg.414d5f53b2a54a1c07abe21421605793.jpg

^ The rear gasket face of the seat halves were smeared with Wellseal gasket compound and the first half of the new scroll seal was positioned and loosely held in place using the standard bolts. I also used a smear of Wellseal on those bolt threads ..because they go through into the crankcase.  Note. the Land-Rover type / lip seal is not fitted while the scroll seal is being positioned. 

.P1350522s.jpg.6f1bbce3821e526b7fba3e8b0846357b.jpg

^ The other half of the scroll seal was likewise positioned and loosely bolted in place.  It's nigh on impossible to get a feeler gauge inbetween the mandrel and the scroll seal,  and any slack in its bolt holes is very little anyway. However I did gently tap them together and sideways so they were tightly aligned to one another (I could feel no step between one and the other with my finger tip running across the split / join).

. P1350518s.jpg.09844a69d011218c47511b1132e6222a.jpg

^ I tried using a powerful LED light array, with the garage doors closed and lights turned off, but could see no light coming through between the mandrel and the scroll seal.  I guess that must be pretty darn close and so tightened up those eight fastenings.  These are only 1/4" screws, fastening against aluminium with little lock washers, so they don't need to be brutally tight.

.P1350523s.jpg.e23eb735c8f8f0e69b695e5bd2dd0b72.jpg

^ Job done. The scroll seal was accurately positioned and now bolted in place on Wellseal compound. I released the two rear main bearing bolts just a little and slipped the mandrel out from the end. 

The cap / half seat will have to lifted off to fit the crankshaft at some time ..but for the time being - the cap can stay put to protect the scroll seal from getting knocked before that task is done.    In my own circumstance I'm not sure when that will be as I haven't yet had the crankshaft checked.  I've also been given short notice to vacate the house (and garage !) I live in. So for the time being this engine's reassembly is low priority.  The outside of the crankcase is painted, and all other bare metal faces inside and around the block have been coated with oil to protect them from humidity / corrosion.  The crankcase is back on its engine stand and then the whole case has been wrapped in plastic bubble wrap to keep the worse of the dust and moisture out.  If I get a chance I'll get the crankshaft in asap but if not then it'll have to go into storage as it is. .

.P1350626s.jpg.5dc2eca789298519df51290143f3c876.jpg

.. That's All Folks ..for today    

I bid you a good one and good health. 

Pete.

FWIW The Christian Marx/Bastuck seal is Christians own design not a Land Rover item. The alternative Land Rover item requires the scroll accurately machining off the crank and is a different animal altogether and not really a preferred option.

Stuart.

• 5 weeks later...

A sincere Appeal :

As the TR4A project car from Arkansas is never going to happen for me,  and imminently I'm loosing my home < here > with its garage - so I'm pushed to move onto the next phase of my life  ..involving immediately downsizing, selling or giving away what I don't see fitting into my future (..best as I might imagine a 5-year plan), and my not taking-on any more total-rebuild projects,  and my plan to be living on a boat { my little floating cottage } within the next two years  -  does not mean that I am giving up on my dream to own and to extensively overland-tour in a TR4 / 4A. 

As a carry-over from my former (working)  life & times - I had been restoring Katie  ..my 1948 Sunbeam S7 motorcycle.  Circumstances now dictated my finding her a new and enthusiastic custodian,  and that I've recently and successfully (I hope) done,  as I've been paid a deposit by a very nice chap from Somerset. 

P1350307as.thumb.jpg.e80af3f8bd3ae4347af3650b6797791f.jpg

The conclusion to that sale / the balance of that money is due on 15th August.  But it would be really upsetting to then see the emotional and fiscal value of that exceptional motorcycle just dwindle away in paying everyday bills,  so although in no great hurry -  I really would like to buy a TR4 or 4A from the proceeds.  

Should a driveable and structurally sound TR4 or 4A  (I happen to prefer an IRS car with overdrive for touring)  happen to come along in the £8 - 10,000 price band - then PLEASE,  pretty Please even .. I'd like to hear of it.    

Yes, I do know that presentable and safe roadworthy TR4A prices now start a bit more than that, but that's all I can afford so I'll be happy to accept a little scuffy example and to spend my own time and my skills to steadily improve it (as a rolling restoration).  Due to my new-found circumstance of having no workshop - it must be road-worthy though, and presentable enough to use as is and perhaps restore later on. 

If you know of such a car and you or the owner feels it really deserves to be appreciated (..loved even), and steadily improved while being used and enjoyed,  and perhaps even shared through my website conversations - then please get in touch. 

I'm in no immediate hurry as I have to move house right now, but perhaps you might be kind enough to remember me when conversations turn to someone possibly wanting to find a new owner for their car.   

BIG  Thank  you,

Pete.

p.s. I'm also posting this here so you might remember where and find it again, perhaps in a few month's time, whereas those in the for sale or wanted do tend to get lost in time.

• 1 month later...

Hi All, 

Even though I was stopped with this spare engine's rebuild - by not being able to take the crankshaft to another engineering company, thanks to the Covid shutdown back in March, and so went back to work on my Sunbeam motorcycles ..and have since then been moving house - I have not just abandoned the TR4 engine nor my plans to buy such an excellent driver's car.

Indeed I went to the local TR Register group meeting on Tuesday evening and collected another part that I've had specially made.  It was the replacement fan extension piece, whose purpose is to take the drive directly off the front end of the crankshaft and convey that to the cooling fan which it positions very close to the radiator.  This follows on from my and Marco's still wanting to retain a mechanical cooling fan < Marco's BMW Fan >

On all the Triumph TR's this extension piece reaches over the chassis cross-tube and steering rack and so it is some 4-3/4" long.  The early TR's still had starter-crank-handles and so this extension piece was robustly made (in cast iron) and its 7" long x 5/8" dia. central fastening bolt featured dogs for the starter handle. 

The facility to hand-crank start the engine was deleted by the TR4A but most of these parts remained pretty much unaltered.  Similarly the fan itself was heavy, because although it had short aluminium blades - its hub was made in hefty steel.   Back in January I'd bought a lightweight plastic fan < here >  from the TR6,  but my further intent was to significantly reduce the imbalance and mass that literally hangs off the front end of the crankshaft.

Mike, who is an extraordinarily kind member of the East Saxons TR group made this possible with his time and superb workshop skills.

These were the component parts as was, and as will be  . . .  

.P1370046as.jpg.dc2f8dd51067f3acc5a4b97cff6f7f65.jpg

^ The fan fitted to this engine when I bought it was the optional 'tropical' specification six blade item, and so perhaps a little heavier than the standard four blade fan, but I think the rest is of standard spec.  For scale reference the central fastening bolt seen to the left is 7" long x 5/8" diameter.  Note.. below this are the fan's rubber isolation blocks, locking plates for the fastening bolts and also an adjustable counter-balance. 

The plastic fan, the new aluminium extension piece and the narrow fan-belt pulley (also in aluminium) are all noticeably lighter and intrinsically far-better balanced than their original counterparts. To the right is the original mounting-spigot / adapter which fits onto the front end of the crankshaft and also a large washer, more on this later - but it facilitates my now using a bolt which is one-quarter of the original's length.

.P1370048s.jpg.aa43f4d3099c580e49b2ff0881379dbd.jpg

Above & Below  the aluminium extension piece that Mike turned for me . . .

.P1370053s.jpg.12fe14bff3a85e9a47f2fdd0a33e5d1e.jpg

Beautifully made from a solid ingot of aluminium - it is 10mm shorter than the original, because the plastic fan has a different offset, but otherwise interchangeable. You can see something of the inaccurate shape of the original versus the turned and therefore inherently In-balance shape of the aluminium.  

.P1370051as.jpg.6c7f9387fa42b4d02ebf05d05d6288d4.jpg

^ again the inside of the original is a rough and slightly askew sand-casting versus the turned and perfectly true centre of the aluminium part.

What difference does it make ?  Well the figures below compare their mass..

•                                   Original                 New
  • Pulley                       388.8g                  228.6g   (originally for the wide fan-belt made as two part steel pressings - v -  turned aluminium sized for a narrow fan belt) 
  • Extension             1155.9g                 514.8g
  • Fan                              914.9                 155.7g
  • Central Bolt            321.6g                   80.0g   (estimate, as I haven't bought it yet)
  • Washer            Not applicable             36.4g
  • TOTALS :                   2.78 kg                1.02 kg

The savings (of spun mass) speak for themselves, and when at xxxx RPM., the new parts should be very much better balanced.   Will it be felt ?  Well put it this way.., Triumph spent good money balancing, adding an adjustable counterweight plate, and marking their fan parts so they might be reassembled in the same order.  But what happens if the fan has been changed over the years because like mine one of the blades got damaged ?  ..Even that close to the axis - an out of balance mass would surely be like a tail wagging the dog ..or in engineering terms ; vibration transmitted to flex the crankshaft.  And even from the fan blades alone - that vibration is real enough to also have warranted mounting the fan on rubber isolation blocks.

Oh, the new washer I had made ?  Well that is simply to adapt the crankshaft spigot for a short bolt. . .

.P1370050as.jpg.05d914587614cf77e5fe1985665b2781.jpg

^ My thanks to J.D. Robertson, in Colchester, the machine shop in Colchester for doing this neat little job for me. The thick washer they made from scratch. And they modified the crankshaft's pulley spigot with a rebate to take that washer. Now a suitably short bolt can be used to fasten this spigot to the crankshaft before the fan extension is fitted (via its peripheral bolts).   

The fan and the narrow fan-belt pulley were the first & easiest steps in weight saving.  Modifying the spigot to use a 75% shorter bolt to save another 1/5 kg ..but that fan extension in polished aluminium, turned from a solid block is a work of beauty & fine craftsmanship,  is less-than half the weight ..and also has the intrinsic balance I particularly sought.  

My  BIG, BIG THANKS  to Mike for that. 

Pete.

Edited by Bfg
  • 6 months later...
On 5/19/2019 at 10:38 PM, Bfg said:

That was a year that was..

This was the year in which Sir Winston Churchill’s funeral took place in London. The same year,  Lyndon Baines Johnson had been sworn in as President of the United States following the assassination of John F. Kennedy (an event which had occurred some 14 months earlier). 

Stanley Mathews played in his last 1st division game, and the unmanned lunar space probe Ranger-8 crashed onto the moon.  The USA sent their first 3,500 combat troops to Vietnam and instigates Rolling Thunder (almost 3-years of sustained aerial bombing).  While back home in Alabama - State troops lay mercilessly into a peaceful protest march (known as Bloody Sunday).  Ironically this happened on the Edmund Pettus Bridge which was named after a former Confederate Brigadier General,  and also Grand Wizard of the Alabama Ku Klux Klan.  Following graphic television coverage of that event,  Lyndon Johnson implemented a Bill of Rights for American Negroes.

5861745712_6dc484ee18_o-750x564.jpg

Russian Cosmonaut Alexei Leonov leaves his spacecraft for 12 minutes to becomes the first man to walk in space.  ‘My Fair Lady’ wins 8 Academy Awards, and ‘Mary Poppins’ takes five Oscars.   Intelsat-1 communications satellite is deployed - marking a turning point in television, telephone, radio, internet, and military technology.  While down on earth - the Pennine Way is officially opened.

Racing driver Jim Clark wins the Indianapolis 500, and then goes on to win the Formula one championships.  Muhammad Ali knocks out Sonny Liston in a world heavyweight championship rematch, while the Rolling Stones “(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" is released. The Beatles second movie Help!  premieres and they perform the very first ‘stadium concert’ playing before a 55,600 audience at Shea Stadium in New York City.  

The+Beatles+Help+-+1st-307864.jpg

Cigarette advertising is banned on British television, and Singapore is expelled from the Federation of Malaysia. And then recognised as a sovereign nation.  After almost two years the Auschwitz War Crimes trials in Frankfurt are concluded. 66 former SS personnel receive life sentences and 15 others receive lesser sentences for their doings.  Bob Dylan releases his influential album ‘Highway 61 Revisited’

Incredibly all of the above happened in the first 8 months of that year ..even before Tom & Jerry or the Thunder-Birds were first aired.!  

But then.., around about this same time a small sports car was sold ..to an American working in England.  His name was E. Crawford Morton. And he came from New York State. At that time, he was assigned to work in Britain & Europe for the International Paper Co. of  Ticonderoga, NewYork.  

The year was 1965, and so this particular story starts some 54 years ago.  The car he chose  was British Racing Green with a light tan coloured hood and leather seats. It was the new independent rear suspension Triumph TR4A.  And aside from its Laycock type-A overdrive, and it being a Left hand drive car delivered to a customer in England - it was unexceptional. 

Well that is as ‘unexceptional’ as any gleamingly brand new TR4 sports car might be ..when owned by a wealthy American living in Britain during the swinging sixties.  So, Crawford (as his family liked to call him)  took the car to Standard-Triumph’s authorised specialist tuners ; SAH of Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire ..for a few ‘enhancements’.   

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/classic-car-images/sah.jpg

Sid A. Hurrell  (SAH)  had made a name for himself preparing and successfully racing a TR2,  indeed his performance tuning parts were used in Triumph’s work’s cars, with aspects of those carried into subsequent production.  The Triumph TR2 soon made a name for itself in both club and International racing events, in sprints, hill climbs, and in rallying.  SAH had a catalogue of special parts for the Triumph Herald (which made also quite an impact within international rally circles) and Vittesse (competitive in saloon car racing).  Parts were developed for the 1300 and 1500cc Triumphs, the Bond, and for the Triumph 2000 and 2500 models. Naturally each model from TR2 onwards were tuned, tweaked and lightened..  If you're not aware of SAH - they later became Triumph-Tune.     

E. Crawford Morton was a great enthusiast of motor racing and whenever an opportunity arose he would take off to a Grand Prix event ..anywhere across Europe.  Apparently he was not only a spectator but according to his nephew Fletch  “Crawford never raced that TR, but he was a very fast and skilled driver who used all of the cars capabilities on those lovely New York Adirondack roads” 

Clearly a man of discernment who also appreciated the advantages of  lightweight components in racing &/or in a true seat-of-the-pants sport-cars, because one of the things Crawford really wanted of  SAH was a set of their knock-on  JA Pearce magnesium-alloy wheels (Magna alloys).  A set of these make wire wheels, alloys and even the works perforated-steel wheels appear heavyweight and/or fragile.

66876_a.jpg.8db2670af07858e5cb652db86808

This is a TR4,  so not the same car but coincidentally is in the same colours and with magna wheels.

Of course, as the car was to be left with SAH  anyway -  then the engine might also be tuned, an oil temperature gauge, cooler, and filter fitted.  A Girling ‘brake booster’ and addition driving lamps were also fitted.   It is believed the engine received a Stage-1 tune : for fast road use.  In petrol-head terms that’s raising the TR4A's standard 104bhp to a modest 135bhp - without loosing around town low rev’s driveability.  What’s that 30% more power ?

This was achieved mainly through camshaft and cylinder-head re-work, carb jetting and filters, ignition electrics, and the standard exhaust manifold being swapped out for SAH’s four branch extractor pipes.  It is probable that the engine was also balanced for endurance ..to survive his high-speed jaunts to GP events across Europe.

What's certain is that the wheels and tyres selected to transmit this performance potential to the tarmac were of wide profile.  And, for road use throughout Europe, that meant the wheel-arches needed extending.  Remember we’re talking about a brand new car here.  Incredible as it might seem nowadays - Crawford had SAH replace the TR4’s four wings with fibreglass ones.  These not only had extended wheel arch brows but I understand saved about 15lb in weight ..off each panel. 

That weight saving may not seem very much, but from a standing start in a quarter-mile acceleration run ; a 30lb weight saving would equate to 0.1 seconds difference. Again seemingly not worth the effort, but.. with two otherwise identical cars side by side - the lighter one would be 12-foot in front.!  And aside from aiding acceleration - such weight saving at the extremities also help to centralise the car’s mass for crisper handling. 

These Triumphs aren’t a heavy car anyway,  the weight distribution is also pretty good on the 4-cyclinder model,  and then of course the C of G is very low too.   With IRS and a 30%  increase in power, and also factoring considerable weight saving in having magnesium-alloy wheels,  and a little tweaking of the suspension parts, then we’re beginning to talk about a road car that not only performed exceptionally well but also handled better than most any other on the road at that time.   Jaguars and Astons would have had much more power but a lightweight TR  might well take the inside track ..and be whole lot more fun as well.

Anyway, I’m rambling..   not least because much of this SAH special equipment has been lost to the financial needs of the car’s more recent owner. 

Unfortunately this car’s history, subsequent to Crawford,  is at present a little vague - except that there were three further owners, and what we might gather from a bumper sticker, believed to be a pass to a military installation - dated 1982.   So let's fast forward to  June 1998  when the present owner - a Mr. Raymond Lucas Hatfield of  Little Rock, Arkansas  bought this very same TR4A.    " I rescued the car from what was basically a junkyard - a garage that had many old cars abandoned behind it.  My wife said the I was giving it a 'second chance' at being used, and the name stuck ".   Apparently it had been there as junk for years. 

“ Mr. Crawford passed away before I bought the car, but apparently he told the second owner that he had rallied the car in England for several years before returning to the United States, bringing the car with him.  There is evidence on the car that it had been driven hard at some point and suffered some damage ; dents to the frame, some holes and dents in the body.

I spoke to the second owner, who states he only drove it on the road until about 1980 when he started tearing it apart to rebuild it.  The rebuild stalled and he finally sold it to the individual I bought it from in 1991.   There it sat until 1998 when I bought it "

The car was bought and so collected from Birmingham, Alabama  (some 375 miles away from Little Rock, Arkansas).   Unfortunately on the way home, with the car on a tow dolly - it dropped off its rear right wheel.   “While loading the TR on the dolly,  I noticed that the 'spinner' was missing off the right rear wheel, but thought it of no consequence since I  (and the seller)  were under the impression that these were bolt-on wheels.  In all fairness, I do not recall seeing any part of the spindle showing on that rim to clue any of us to the fact that it was a knock off wheel.

…    I'm quite sure that all of you know what happened now. I made it from Birmingham, AL to about 50 miles from my home in Arkansas before that wheel came off. As it came off, it tore the fiberglass rear fender off.  Fortunately, that was the extent of the damage to the TR, but now I am stuck with the car on the side of the freeway in the middle of the night! "

Raymond in his forum posts and in correspondence with myself tells us that the "engine was seized up from being parked in a junkyard for 10 years".   In due course the motor was removed from the car and stripped down,  with the offending piston released from its bore ..courtesy of a big hammer smashing the cylinder liner.

On the four banger TR’s these are wet sleeve (dry on the six cylinder), and rather than simply replace the liners, the owner acquired another short-block TR4 motor.  But in his heart of hearts - he hankered for a Triumph TR5 with its smoother and more powerful six cylinder sea anchor.  And so is found investigating, on American brit-car forums, the options of a more powerful engine to drop into Chance.  

V8’s as well as straight-six Toyota and the 2.8 ltr BMW motors were each considered for  “a sleeper Vette killer”.  At the same time he was also considering selling the overdrive transmission in favour of a modern five-speed box.,  but after much deliberation he opted to buy a six-cylinder TR6’s engine.  In the same transaction came a TR6 chassis - which still appears to be in good shape.  The replacement 4-cylinder short-block was sold on, and the original engine remained in bits.

20190421_162329s.jpg.efb40a594317968b745b38c371f31177.jpg

20190421_162037s.jpg.9f7082899ad568c7ec315db439afd683.jpg

Over the past, almost 21 years of present ownership, the car’s  Second Chance  hasn’t yet come to realisation.  The front brake callipers have I’m told been swapped out for Toyota four-pot items, and the rear suspension has modern shock absorbers in place of the original Armstrong lever arm types.   Raymond  has his own TR enthusiast website which recall some of this car's history (last updated  c.2005 ).   Unfortunately  there is not one photo of the car nor any part of it.   

Below is a recent photo from the for sale advert to which I replied.  

20180721_181655.thumb.jpg.673705fc8cbdf286a0db032d79ce7286.jpg

The exceptionally lightweight and strong knock-off Magna wheels were sold for $800, to an English guy in 2003.  And bolt-on Mustang Bullitt (c.2001 model) aluminium alloys fitted instead. The Englishman who bought the wheels was a Mr. Roger Butt “who then restarted the company and made new wheels on the same pattern. The company he worked for (Rotex Developments) had a factory/warehouse here in Arkansas” 

Tidbit : Roger Butt was Company Secretary to Osprey Marine Ltd between February ‘94 and March 1998.  He was appointed Director of Rotex Developments Ltd (Present Company status : Dissolved) in August ‘05,  and again appointed Director of J.A. Pearce Engineering Ltd  (Present Company status : Dissolved )  in 2012.   The latter is of course the same name as having originally made racing and sports wheels.

20180721_173548a.thumb.jpg.5ab813a80039d7caa0e5e2785ab3dcee.jpg

The car has been stripped out of its interior.  I’m told the original leather seats didn’t withstand being out in the elements ..so they have gone in favour of a pair of high-back Mazda Maida seats, not yet fitted. The dashboard timber, light-tan door cards and carpet set have been replaced, but again not refitted.  The black steering wheel looks like an SAH one (it’s leather rimmed with slotted aluminium spokes). And little niceties like the SAH embossed ashtray and the engine’s SAH cast-alloy rocker-cover have also gone, as has the car’s oil cooler, temp gauge setup, and quick change filter. Non have been replaced.  

The fuel tank  and under-bonnet space are also stripped out, but most of those parts are with the car,  albeit in unknown condition after having been stored for the past 21 years,  plus another 10 years " parked in a junkyard".

From what I can see in photos and has been discussed in email correspondence with Raymond, around the bulkhead’s battery tray is rusted,  as is the lower forward edge of the boot floor and spare wheel well.  These have in part been patched by one of the interim owners,  as has one sill.  Both sills have holes to their inside rear corners, and the floors show sign of nature’s aeration.  The paintwork is scruffy, apparently looking better in the photos than in life.  And the bumpers, like pretty much everything else, are off the car and have seen brighter days.  Most probably there are numerous minor bits missing or beyond repair,  but as an optimist - I’ll presume 90% of the car is there and might be reusable,  if enough time and money is spent in their recondition. 

Oh btw.,  the car is still in Arkansas, which in case you are unaware is 450 miles sorta north of Huston, Texas and similarly from New Orleans.  This being west across state from Memphis Tennessee  ..so not exactly close to any coastline or shipping port.    So, as a largely dismantled non-runner, the overland transport and shipping freight is going to cost £-thousands.   However, even factoring in the transport cost - this TR4A is as cheap as I could find (..cheap is a relative term !).  And unlike most cars from the States ;  it does has an interesting history.  Although not at this time paper-documented ;  the (three remaining) flared grp wings and other remaining SAH parts, as well as email correspondence from the nephew do confirm the story.   Accordingly,  a week last Friday I put a bid on it.  And then I had a counter offer, which I accepted on condition that he’ll prepare and pack the car (together with the 'spare' chassis)  for transport (my proposal below) .   Last Monday evening I received an affirmative response.  

1000751359_chassisontopofcar02d.thumb.jpg.3ec374dee72331145a312ba91d9f9afd.jpg

No, I promise to NOT paint this TR4 red.!

So there we are,  I have to sell a motorcycle or two and my Ami-super  but.,  despite it being ridiculously too small a car for someone as old, or tall and broad as myself (6’-5” with the accumulative effects of gravity for 60++ years) - it is what I hanker for.  And if I don’t do it now then I don’t suppose I’ll ever have the 'chance'  again.     

I hope my reckless abandonment of any last remnant of common-sense ..and the consequential issues I’ll have to deal with over the next couple of years will of some passing amusement to you all.

Bfg 

p.s.  As a pushed-into-early-retirement individual (former design engineer) ..this restoration / recommissioning will be on a very tight budget.   As mentioned - I'm also very tall,  so concessions to those factors override any idea of originality.  This will not be a car for the purist as I have no qualms at all in using seats out of a Triumph Herald or else an MG or Austin 7  if they are suitably period styled, available cheaply,  and better accommodate my freak-sized frame.   If anyone chooses to help me out anywhere along the line - then I'd be incredibly grateful - I'm in Suffolk.  Cheers to all !

Two years later..,   1967 (MCMLXVII) was a common year starting on a Sunday of the Gregorian calendar, the 1967th year of the common era (CE).  The Doors release their début album, (ironically entitled ).. the Doors.   The Vietnam War Operation Cedar Falls started on January 8th, and NY Times also reported that the U.S. Army is 'conducting secret germ warfare experiments'.  The world is so beautiful that Dr. James Bedford becomes the first person to be cryonically preserved with the intent of future resuscitation  (I wonder how he's doing ..and whether he is now the oldest man alive ?)

In Munich, the trial begins of Wilhelm Harster, accused of the murder of 82,856 Jews (including Anne Frank) when he led security police during the German occupation of the Netherlands during the second world war. He is eventually sentenced to 15 years in prison (which on the face of it seems very lenient ?).  U.S. astronauts Gus Grissom, Ed White and Roger Chaffee are killed when fire breaks out in their Apollo 1 spacecraft during a launch pad test.  While in New Orleans, District Attorney Jim Garrison claims he will solve the John F. Kennedy assassination, and that a conspiracy was planned in New Orleans.  The Dutch government supports British EEC membership, and the first North Sea Gas is pumped ashore at Easington, East Riding, Yorkshire.

Joseph Stalin's daughter Svetlana defects to the United States, and nine executives of the German pharmaceutical company Grunenthal are charged for breaking German drug laws because of thalidomide. The supertanker SS Torrey Canyon  runs aground between Land's End and the Scilly Isles and spills huge amounts of oil, while the SEACOM Asian telephone cable is inaugurated.  Martin Luther King Jr. denounces the Vietnam War during a sermon at the Riverside Church in New York City. And Puppet on a String  performed by Sandie Shaw (music and lyrics by Bill Martin and Phil Coulter) WINS the Eurovision Song Contest for the United Kingdom.!  Yeah ! 

ikc8qczwaq121.thumb.jpg.18bfa91eeb41b2c8914357e9a8507393.jpg

In the Academy Awards, hosted by Bob Hope - Best picture goes to A Man For All Seasons, where Paul Scofield plays the obstinate Sir Thomas More, while in Texas - Muhammad Ali refuses military service. He is stripped of his boxing title and barred from professional boxing for 3 years.  And Elvis and Priscilla Beaulieu are married in Las Vegas.

Harold Wilson announces that the United Kingdom has decided to apply for EEC membership, and in May the UK and Ireland do so.  The Jimi Hendrix Experience release their debut album Are You Experienced  (Come back Davy Jones all is forgive ..we love the Monkees !), and The Beatles release Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band  nicknamed in the US as "The Soundtrack of the Summer of Love" ..it was number one on the albums charts throughout the summer of 1967 (..up the Hippies ! ).  Also, so I am told, 1967 was also a short year for new vehicle registrations in the UK. 

And Where, you might ask, is this leading us ? 

. . .

. .

Well to June 1967 of course

..when this particular car was first registered. . .

IMG_1631a.thumb.jpg.a65bbd73796742fd07347725b418bd9a.jpg

Yep, after almost two years from starting this particular thread.., I'm finally getting one. 

I had placed an advert in the TR Register's magazine way-back last summer ..after a year of waiting - the green basket-case-project TR4 car from US came to nothing. I then considered a number of other project TR4 / 4A's,  but when unexpectedly given notice to vacate my home (of the previous 16 years), which was an old farm house - i realised I'd also loose my garage, the space and the facilities to restore a car.  I guess, at much the same time, I also recognised that I'm also getting a bit too old to start another long term restoration project (..when I already have others on the go !) and that I would actually like to drive a car once in a while.!   And perhaps equally as relevant was that I'm also getting too old / lazy / comfortable to bother clobbering up with riding gear and tent for touring on a motorcycle.  Instead perhaps with a little lady and a happy dog ..like a spaniel, might be an altogether pleasant traveling experience.  

So I restored and sold 'Katie ' my 1948 Sunbeam S7 motorcycle to fund my buying a roadworthy car, thinking a driving / rolling restoration was the best I might afford.  But then, during the preamble of moving from a farm house to an apartment, I was faced with the question of whether I should junk most-everything I owned and just go and live on my boat.  In the end I decided "no., bollocks.. I'll have the boat and the car I really want and I'll buy a shipping container ..to keep my tools and whatever else from my home in."  ..even though other things will have to go to pay for &/or make room for what I now want. 

A change of direction perhaps but a direction to set course on.

That was great in theory but of course my buying that container, paying rent to store it, and the cost of moving - took a bite out of the money I'd put aside for a TR.  Only then, thanks to magazine lead in times, do I start to get response from my magazine advert.  But they were either too expensive or projects that needed total restoration, so then things went quiet again. 

And then out of the blue, in September, just 11 days before my deadline to vacate my home and move, I get a message from a Mr Bob Bell (..in response to that advert in the magazine).  As I said to him at the time "sorry but I cannot afford it, and even if I could - I couldn't do anything about it because I'm right in the middle of moving house" ..on my own, during a pandemic. 

I thought that was the end of that, not least because I was absolutely exhausted and frustrated., and so perhaps a little abrupt I fear.  Possibly a month later, a couple of weeks after I'd moved I dropped him a line and we talked, he sent me photos, and so I was keen.  The car is a TR4A with Independent Rear Suspension (rather than leaf springs) and overdrive, and was perfectly roadworthy ..albeit due for maintenance and checks due to hardly being used.  Importantly she is very much the spec I was after. 

We arranged a date for me to go and see the car (last October) and despite drizzling rain he drove me around the housing estate where he lived. The ride was a little odd insomuch as he seemed to be trying to impress me with the performance, and the steering ..up to 30mph.!  I held on.  The car was in much better condition than I dared hope, but still over my budget.  I might stretch but for the fact I'd spent a good percentage of the money I'd put aside for such a car - on buying a shipping container.!  

Tantalisingly close Pete.. but no coconut ! 

However....... as it happens..... I was also anticipating a gift of inheritance  ..pending the sale of my Aunt's home.  I explained the situation, and Bob incredibly kindly held the car for me, as he was "not using the car through the winter anyway'".  It's taken months, but now I've finally managed to get all me ducks in a row, and to pay him, this past Monday ..some 23 weeks after he first dropped me a line.  Surely that is above and beyond the call of duty ..even for a Triumph man Bob. !  The log book has now been transferred into my name and I have taken classic car insurance through the TR Register.  With the aide of my good friend Rich Crewe-Read from the East Saxons TR Register group, I hope to collect her on Monday or Tuesday next week, when the current covid restrictions are eased a little.

So there we go, this car, coincidentally also known as 'Katie ' thanks to her registration, was I understand first registered in June 1967 and was British racing / Triumph green.  She was being restored through the late 1990's and Bob bought her as an unfinished / being abandoned project.  He finished the task and had her painted red, with a black interior and varnish dashboard.  The work must have been well done because she still looks great from pretty much any angle.  The mileometer reads 37,900 since being put back on the road in 1999.  He tells me that the interior and a few other jobs need doing, and she could do with a tune-up, but that other tasks like poly-bushing and gaiters, fuel pump, etc, and also some re-chroming have not-long-since been done.

Naturally, I feel like a schoolboy awaiting his birthday in springtime ! 

Pete.

IMG_1633a.thumb.jpg.0ea564a71c68dd5abf128eb9e1e61aa8.jpg

IMG_1635a.thumb.jpg.83f0c847a7b6710b080235a947aeb9f8.jpg

Pete that’s fantastic for you after all you have gone through with your other car that you never got. Looks like things are looking up for you, I do hope you get out and enjoy yourself as much as we do in Brenda, hope to meet up with you at the International or one of the other Register events.

Mike & Carole.  Redrose group 

Hello Pete,

I hope you have more success with this project than with the one you were going to get from that “Nice” man in the States. I did feel for you when you eventually gave up on ever seeing the car.

Now…
I’ve just read a bit of your previous posts here, and I have a feeling that we may have met in the past. (Early 1980’s ?)

You mentioned that you used to work with Anthony Stevens. You also mention that you are 6’ 5” tall.

I used to know a bloke like that. When I knew him he lived in a cave underneath Birmingham Snow Hill station. The place smelt, to me, of exotic herbal cigarettes, although the occupant claimed it was the smell of polyester resin.

There was also a pile of what looked like Morgan wings piled in one corner, although the occupant claimed they were part of a kinetic sculpture.

His name was also Peter. (I think his surname was “Budgerigar”, or “Falcon” or something like that.)

I may have got the facts all wrong, (It was a long time ago)

But...
Was it you?

Charlie

41 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

I’ve just read a bit of your previous posts here, and I have a feeling that we may have met in the past. (Early 1980’s ?)

You mentioned that you used to work with Anthony Stevens. You also mention that you are 6’ 5” tall.

I used to know a bloke like that. When I knew him he lived in a cave underneath Birmingham Snow Hill station. The place smelt, to me, of exotic herbal cigarettes, although the occupant claimed it was the smell of polyester resin.

There was also a pile of what looked like Morgan wings piled in one corner, although the occupant claimed they were part of a kinetic sculpture.

His name was also Peter. (I think his surname was “Budgerigar”, or “Falcon” or something like that.)

I may have got the facts all wrong, (It was a long time ago)

But...
Was it you?

Charlie

I know of that person, but whether he knows you might well depend on whether 'said person' owes you money or has in some way upset you ? :P

Pete.

B)

Big Thank You for your incredibly kind sentiments  Pete, Mike & Carole, Chris, Iain, Tony and Charlie.   Of course the hero here is Mr Bob Bell and his dear wife Pat, who are of the Abbott & Stour TR group, and who are have shown themselves to be wonderful people, understanding and of high integrity. 

Bob as I say, completed the restoration, reassembled and finished the car.  And for the past 20 years seen to its care and upkeep (see also TR Action, Issue 324 - Star Letter).  I think the (previous post's) under bonnet photo nicely reflects the workmanship and his care n' attention to detail (note also the emergency bonnet release wire). 

And he and Pat have of course also enjoyed years of TR help, support and friendships.  This is so valued that they are not leaving the fraternity ..but now he has his eye on a TR7., which is perhaps a little easier to get in and out of.

1509426368_02-09-2018Fortnham-CarsbytheLakecloser.thumb.jpg.2a84f629deb6e239c4dc43a3ff67fa3a.jpg

^ Borrowed from The Abbott & Stour TR group's galley of photos,  September 2018, Fortnham - 'Cars by the Lake'

Fortunately I am not too far away from Bury St Edmund, where that group meet ..and so they might yet see more of the car.  :ph34r:

My very special thanks to Bob and Pat.

Edited by Bfg

4 hours ago, Bfg said:

I know of that person, but whether he knows you might well depend on whether 'said person' owes you money or has in some way upset you ? :P

"Said person" does not owe me any money.

PM sent

Charlie.

Yee ha !

We collected Katie today ( 8th) and I'm really very pleased. Drove back open-topped, a little chilly but not nearly as bad as I had expected, indeed very tolerable. Conversely the steering wheel shake at 60mph is intolerable, as is the heaviness of this clutch    ..but I'm sure I'll soon have those sorted.

On the way back from Bury I was compelled to turn off the A14 and stop, as the temp gauge pushed close to the red. But as soon the car slowed - the gauge went back down to a more normal reading. Yes plenty of water in the radiator, and that was hot but not scolding or spurting. Squeezing the top hose however indicated it was empty. The engine hadn't been pinking or rattling from being overheated so, because we had just another 12 miles to go and the weather was cool, we set off again.

Back on the road - the temp went up to the red line, and so just two junctions further on, we stopped again ..and I removed the thermostat. That's temporarily sorted out that issue.  Huh !

Once I write it down - I'll have a 'snag list' the length of my arm, but for the most part they are minor tasks..so I feel I've a really great base to start from. I'm going to have fun with this car :)))))

.. I'm so grateful to Bob for holding it for me until I could manage to get me piggy bank open.  That's also to Pat for a really lovely cup of tea, while Bob and I sorted paperwork and he presented me with some great photos and whole pile of receipts from the restoration and subsequently.   

The most urgent job I have now is to remove the seat-belt's inertia reel from the floor, which stops the seat going back. Then I can take my legs with me when I go out.

In the meantime Bob, tomorrow I think, is going to look at a cream coloured TR7 for sale, down in Essex.

1217094939_phone211019.jpg.75a535e485d51269316c3f66c32c74dd.jpg
^ Katie's restorer and now prior custodian Bob Bell and his dearest little lady Pat just before I headed off.

292889617_phone211021.jpg.2ca787fd5cc81db72cccfb91679d7ca4.jpg

^ On arrival safe n' sound, to the most salubrious* 'Woodland Manor' and then with the hood erected ..according to my advisor a TR6 hood.

My apologies that I have no collection petrol station photo.. I was otherwise preoccupied with the temperature gauge trying to bend its needle !

..  and finally (for today) a couple of photos I've taken for insurance valuation purposes. . .

163894789_phone211026.jpg.fa978b4da515b8e9862530900bbce40e.jpg

1005402444_phone211024.jpg.e8042f2c09f0241d0e87b6a9f1627755.jpg

2075438590_phone211030.jpg.87d80cd86899a8ad761eb583c73a19fc.jpg

Another BIG BIG THANKS  to Rich Crewe-Read for his taking me across to collect the car today, for his great company and advice, the loan of what must surely be my  excellent adjustable spanner ( ! ) ..for removing the faulty thermostat, and for providing escort as I drove the car for the first time, home !

I'm a happy bunny tonight :P

Bidding you all a very  good evening.

Pete.

Edited by Bfg

What a beautiful sunny day today wasn't it ! ?

..I drove MY NEW  TR  :P across to my container to tackle the first couple of jobs. (it's the only place I have to work on the car at the moment ..but it's a dust bowl there)

1973473133_2021-03-09TR002s.jpg.62f903a936e5867b7beb086a0166271f.jpg

Job 1. Getting the seat to move back, at least as far as the wheelarch. . .

1071601797_2021-03-09TR003as.thumb.jpg.5d724d0ca310c73eaa48de7d18f8bf3e.jpg

^ The issue here was mainly the location of the seat belt's inertia reel, which stopped the seat moving back by about 2 1/2".

401411204_2021-03-09TR014s.jpg.7e7b834ab3674efad9a0f40dee1dc169.jpg

^ I drilled a tight hole through the inner mudguard, and fitted a big backing plate under there (suitably paint protected). I happened to have a nut to fit onto the seat belt bolt, and another for bolting the belts tail-end back into the sill.  Aside from the fact that the seat belt is too long too retract all the way into the reel - it now works well with smooth tension, whereas as before it was snagging and wouldn't recoil.  I'll sometime fit something to stop the buckle from sliding down the webbing.

The pads on the carpet are because the driver's seat backrest is slightly more inclined than the passenger's, so 9mm reinforced rubber packing tilted the seat forward a little. But that proved uncomfortable with the backrests tubular seat frame pushing into my back ..so I took those out again on the (long) way home. 

Moving the inertia reel out of the way only partly worked because . . .

1938722792_2021-03-09TR004s.jpg.d63acdd0c17eb9fefb7b6281e99814ab.jpg

The inner seat belt mounting is on an angle bracket, and with both the seat belt's eye and the bolt's tread each facing towards the seat (which over time had chewed up the seats fabric) the seat couldn't push back passed this point.   That then had to be redone.

2131940978_2021-03-09TR007s.jpg.a3f7ae15aa82308e1f89c4272a0027ac.jpg

^ Job done and now the seat goes all the way, for its back to rest against the inner wheel arch. The seat runners themselves didn't need adjusting nor redrilling.

I did consider easing the inner mudguard back, indent it with a softwood block and lump hammer, but there's no point because . . .

1025949534_2021-03-09TR012s.jpg.fe808ee9eb35387c48f22261e5a1ca01.jpg

^ with the seat right the way back - the folded hood frame is already poking into the driver's shoulder. The situation only gets worse if the seat went further back.  Remind me not to wear a nice jacket without having the hood frame's cover on.  These hood frame joints are presently dry, but once lubricated they would mark a sleeve. 

Rich advised me that this is a TR6 hood frame and so perhaps that's not normally an issue with a TR4A hood frame. ?

Anyway, SUCCESS  insomuch as I now have another 2"  to 2-1/2" of leg room length and arm length to the wheel.  Now I can get my leg down low enough under the steering wheel to take my foot off the clutch.  For the drive home yesterday I pulled my leg out sideways to rest against the gear lever, so that I could steer the car !   I'm sure this seat position will be easier for around roundabouts and corners when I also wish to change gear. 

- - -

Job 2.  was to make getting in and out of the car easier.  The issue here was that the driver's door didn't open fully, so getting my size 13 brogues up inbetween the sill and the part-closed door was not at all easy. The cause of that was something to do with the check strap.

I didn't know how to take the check strap out, but thankfully the phone sees where I cannot (watch out big brother is watching ! ) . . .

1295205801_2021-03-09TR016s.thumb.jpg.0db3c9818345581e6f4e2beb26607bb5.jpg

^ Having removed the carpet, over the lower A-post, and from the photo I could see that there was nothing holding the check strap in place, but its guides and the shut.  I thought the rubber bump stop on its end looked too big, and that was causing the check strap to be too short.  So I removed the check strap's pin, from the front end of the door, and pushed the check strap out through the A-post's square hole. I removed the rubber bump-stop pad, and tried it again but the door still wasn't opening nearly far as it might.  So after securing the door from swinging too far forward and buckling itself against the front wing, I measured what extra length was needed, with the rubber bump-stop back in place . . .

1765666152_2021-03-09TR018as.jpg.2cb11fed6f556a2947eaf0b13bcf75c6.jpg

The rope used to hold the door from swinging too far forward.  Disclaimer : do not drive the car like this ! :lol:

1253406541_2021-03-09TR021s.jpg.864c63a6ddfbe1010a37983bc42c3577.jpg

^ check strap extended. This in turn was drilled for the pin, to lengthen the check strap by another 15mm. Then of course I cut the length off and rounded its end, painted it and refitted. 

1701053261_2021-03-09TR022s.jpg.6a87b4325b17f5b10b1ca09c60bd4e07.jpg

Task complete, aside from refitting the carpeted trim inside.

260881149_2021-03-09TR023s.thumb.jpg.bd58db1a094cebe739311f085db4dfcd.jpg

^ with the driver's door being pulled against the check strap - the door to wing clearance is still safe, but now the door opens another 15 or 20 degrees, which of course makes my getting in and out somewhat easier..  Perhaps the check strap's length is different between the TR4 and the TR6, and the wrong one was fitted.? 

3 hours work in total, so I was glad not to be paying a professional rate, but they were very necessary tasks for me to simply be able to get in and drive the car.! 

It was also very pleasant working out in the sunshine.

Pete.

^^ :D  ..very many I think.

I think perhaps my next priority is to look into the clutch, which is somewhat of a concern - not least because I don't relish the thought of having to pull the gearbox out.   I wasn't going to ask the question before I'd searched the archives of this wonderful sea of knowledge (the TR Register website)  ..but while I'm here,  I'll say that the clutch pedal is extremely heavy ..compared with the TR4 and TR4A I drove at the East Saxon's group meeting (both of which had diaphragm clutches).  And it's disengagement is just the very last inch before the floorboards. The weather forecast here for today is 90% chance of rain most of the day, but if I get the chance I'll crawl under to take a photo of the slave cylinder ..to see how it's been fitted and to what hole on the lever arm.  I'll also see if I can feel any free play.  There's always the possibility of the master or slave cylinder being of an unsuitable bore, so I'll see if I can record their part numbers today.  In the meantime - Any advice would be most welcome. 

Cheers, Pete.      

Morning Pete, Katy looks very nice time enjoy yourself with getting to know your new toy. The clutch used to be very heavy and hard to push down on Brenda and if you had to hold it at lights or a hill you could get the leg shakes, (yes I know you shouldn’t hold it be we all do from time to time) and it was right down at the to the floor and only had to lift 1/4 before it engaged, when I did the gear box repairs I changed the complete clutch assembly from Borg & Beck to a Laycock assembly this is now much lighter on the left leg, if it was myself and you can not see anything obvious and the clutch is adjusted correctly I would just run it as is. It may be that you are just used to your daily drive.  Enjoy 

Mike. Redrose Group 

Thanks Mike that's useful to know.  

I think, in Bob's file of receipts, there's mention of the clutch but only by part number, so I'll check that out and see if I might identify what was fitted.

Pete.  

If it's a diaphram clutch, then they do get heavier as the friction plate wears.

Pedal being near the floor to disengage could be adjustment at either end (MC rod, or slave  rod) - does the slave cylinder have a return spring, if so it should have an adjustable rod, if no adjustment on rod, then there should be no spring.  Or could just be air in the hydraulics.

Bob.