I spent the last two weeks of free time fitting a new steering column and ball joints, and an overhauled starter. The radiator went for servicing after a small leak was noticed. It took me a full afternoon to replace the front panel. I turned on the ignition after all this and the brake lights came on. 

I can not have damaged any wiring when fitting the new starter. It was a tight squeeze. There is power to the brake light switch and it appears to be constant on the other side of the switch. This is going to mean brake bleeding which i do not like. 

Is there any other possible problem???

Thanks richard & B.

Richard

i have replaced this switch and as there was a good flow of brake fluid out no air got in - in the time it takes to take the old one off and having the new one in hand fitting it. 

I may have been lucky. 

H

Hi Richard,

as Hamish has said - it has been reported here on a number of occasions.

Have the new one close at hand.

Simply remove the old switch place finger over the flow of fluid.

Fit new switch. Job done.

If you lose a tea spoonful of fluid I would be amazed.

Roger

My brake switch went wrong and I chose to fit a mechanical one instead.  The wires reach without any modifications

I used the BMW/Mercedes item for under a tenner.  That way you do not have to disturb the hydraulics nor fit a dubious Green Box Lucas item.

Here is a thread about the thing and a photo of what Lebro has done on a Sidescreen car.  My installation is similar.

https://www.tr-register.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/65488-brake-light-switch-type/

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

The mechanical switch is a great idea and is a future project for me. This evening I jacked up the car, pulled off the wheel and checked the switch terminals again.

After some poking around I was unable to get a reading from the cable to the lights. I then pressed the pedal and the lights went on, and on release they went. off So the problem is solved. Trs can be self repairing !!!

However I reversed back into the garage and found that the handbrake was  already on. The car moved smoothly and easily.  Next job is to adjust the brakes which should be easy ??

Thanks for the advice and luckily it was not needed.

Richard & B