Car is stuck in high revs!!!

Hi all, 

driving back from TR6 day today at Wroxall  ( fantastic day - thanks to all involved )  and car suddenly surges up to a range of 3000 to 4000 revs and will not return to normal  -luckily I was only 5 miles from home but  the car basically drove itself home and I did not have to touch the accelerator! I was busy braking and switching between 2nd and 3rd just to try control it !

when I got home I cut the ignition and then re-started - the engine immediately went to 3000 rpm in neutral.

i have no idea what could cause this but can only say I did make rare use of  my overdrive today as if was a long motorway journey - could that be the problem ?

any help greatly appreciated 

thanks

Geoff 

Sounds like it could be....

Throttle cable outer casing may have come out of its socket, holding the inner cable tight.

Wobble and fiddle with  the outer throttle cable where it ends.  It may just drop back to its position

Cheers

Peter W

4 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Sounds like it could be....

Throttle cable outer casing may have come out of its socket, holding the inner cable tight.

Wobble and fiddle with  the outer throttle cable where it ends.  It may just drop back to its position

Cheers

Peter W

That would be my guess too.

Good luck, sure it will be a simple fix.

Nigel

I occasionally have a similar issue when the throttle stop gets caught under my rubber over mat. Frightened the @#£& out of me the first time it happened. I now make sure the mat is pushed well into the footwell, but it has caught up once more when the mat moves.

The outer casing of the fast idle (throttle) cable on the choke might be stuck on the lip of the bit it goes into at the throttle body.

3 hours ago, John McCormack said:

The outer casing of the fast idle (throttle) cable on the choke might be stuck on the lip of the bit it goes into at the throttle body.

Same thing as happened to me 

13 hours ago, Aldpilot said:

I occasionally have a similar issue when the throttle stop gets caught under my rubber over mat. Frightened the @#£& out of me the first time it happened. I now make sure the mat is pushed well into the footwell, but it has caught up once more when the mat moves.

I had that happen in the car park of a "World Peace Cafe" in N  Yorks.

Certainly disturbed the peace when I blipped the throttle and plenty of popping and banging when the rev limiter kicked in!