I would disagree slightly with Stuart about being able to lock the rear wheels with a lever mounted on the prop shaft tunnel, which is where the Comps Dept were forced to mount the lever once large sheets of steel were welded beneath the chassis to allow the TR4 Rally cars to slide over the stones on the really rough roads, particularly in Yugoslavia (Spa-Sofia-Liège) and on the RAC Rally.

Compared with my old TR2, with its conventional and slightly longer floor-mounted lever, there's not as much leverage, even though I have recently fitted the extended levers at the backplates.  Add to this the fact that whereas I was in my 30s when driving my TR2, I am now 80 and not as strong as once I was!  I don't think my son would have a problem locking the rear wheels (even with the 195 tyres fitted), but he can pick up things like railway sleepers!

I am contemplating the move of the pick-up point on the handbrake lever to combat my decline into senility!

Ian Cornish

17 hours ago, ianc said:

I would disagree slightly with Stuart about being able to lock the rear wheels with a lever mounted on the prop shaft tunnel, which is where the Comps Dept were forced to mount the lever once large sheets of steel were welded beneath the chassis to allow the TR4 Rally cars to slide over the stones on the really rough roads, particularly in Yugoslavia (Spa-Sofia-Liège) and on the RAC Rally.

Compared with my old TR2, with its conventional and slightly longer floor-mounted lever, there's not as much leverage, even though I have recently fitted the extended levers at the backplates.  Add to this the fact that whereas I was in my 30s when driving my TR2, I am now 80 and not as strong as once I was!  I don't think my son would have a problem locking the rear wheels (even with the 195 tyres fitted), but he can pick up things like railway sleepers!

I am contemplating the move of the pick-up point on the handbrake lever to combat my decline into senility!

Ian Cornish

I can lock the rears with the tunnel handbrake as I have the 10" rears, that makes quite a difference and its on a solid axle too.

Stuart.