Try TR bitz, Warrington.

or TR Trader Cheadle, Revingtons TR GB, etc.

Whenyou say have nothing, if you literally have nothing, I would consider fitting a transmission tunnel handbrake

as per TR 4A onwards, easy enough and the way I would go from scratch. Ask if you want details.

John.

6 minutes ago, Tim Duncan said:

Hello - 1964 TR4 owner here.    We have had the 4 for many years, but we've never had the hand brake (missing when we purchased it).  Does anyone have an idea how we can find one to install?  Thanks in advance!

Hi Tim,

welcome to the forum.

The TR4A handbrake is more convenient to pull on but the TR4 hand brake applies more pull to the brakes.

They often come up on ebay.  But why not simply ask on here.

Roger

Tim, should you go for the much more convenient TR4A handbrake assembly I recommend you re-fit the compensator link 7/16" nearer to the fulcrum, as per accompanying pic. This offsets the loss in leverage/mechanical advantage from the shorter lever. 

Tim

TR4A Handbrake, re-positioning of compensator link.JPG

1 hour ago, tim hunt said:

Tim, should you go for the much more convenient TR4A handbrake assembly I recommend you re-fit the compensator link 7/16" nearer to the fulcrum, as per accompanying pic. This offsets the loss in leverage/mechanical advantage from the shorter lever. 

Tim

TR4A Handbrake, re-positioning of compensator link.JPG

If fitting the centre handbrake to a TR4 that mod doesnt apply as the compensator on the axle makes up for the 4a loss of mechanical advantage with the IRS handbrake.

Stuart.

Interesting observation from Stuart. One of our group has a 4 with a 4A handbrake but seems to need wooden blocks to wedge the car if it is parked on a hill. He has bought the operating lever extenders for the back wheels but not yet fitted them. Moving the pivot point on the 4A handbrake has definitely made a difference to my 4A.

TR Bitz or maybe TRGB or London TR shop should be able to supply the parts or ask on the forum as Roger has suggested

Keith

2 hours ago, keith1948 said:

Interesting observation from Stuart. One of our group has a 4 with a 4A handbrake but seems to need wooden blocks to wedge the car if it is parked on a hill. He has bought the operating lever extenders for the back wheels but not yet fitted them. Moving the pivot point on the 4A handbrake has definitely made a difference to my 4A.

TR Bitz or maybe TRGB or London TR shop should be able to supply the parts or ask on the forum as Roger has suggested

Keith

Then he hasnt got the system right as you should be able to happily skid the back wheels on a 4 with the handbrake even with the centre conversion.. I dont have that mod on my 4a and I still have a good handbrake but then I have 10" Alfins with 3/4" cylinders and the wide linings on the rear.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart

Those 10" alfin drums sound tasty, I am looking for a pair for the front of my Swallow Doretti. Where can you get them? The usual suppliers only seem to do 9".

Cheers Richard

13 hours ago, Dic Doretti said:

Hi Stuart

Those 10" alfin drums sound tasty, I am looking for a pair for the front of my Swallow Doretti. Where can you get them? The usual suppliers only seem to do 9".

Cheers Richard

I inherited them from a previous TR many years ago, they are original ones from very early sixties Im afraid. Ive never seen any more like them.

Stuart.

4 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Richard,

is this any help  https://www.brakedrum.co.uk/index.php/8/

Roger

Hmm so my guess of approximately £1k to replace the ones I have wasnt far out!

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart and Roger for you responses. Looks like I may be taking the disc brake route, although I have never had a problem with well adjusted drums but I steer clear of Alpine passes.

Cheers Richard

• 6 months later...

Hi Richard

I may have what you need.

As with all the very rare stuff I have ever owned, they found me by chance.

Annoyingly for you know doubt, is that they came with a load of other stuff I bought from a guy in Scotland!

They look to be in good condition.

To be honest, I didn't understand the significance of them until I looked into them.

9" are readily available new (at £354.00 each!), but 10" don't seem to have been available new or second hand for decades.

If Stuart says they are rare, they must be. He would know.

Feel free to contact me if interested. I'll ping you an email as well.

Regards, Simon

68591220_Alfins1.thumb.jpeg.c6ecc6745dbdb1c81191be0dfddba0e2.jpeg

22 hours ago, I used to have one of those! said:

Hi Richard

I may have what you need.

As with all the very rare stuff I have ever owned, they found me by chance.

Annoyingly for you know doubt, is that they came with a load of other stuff I bought from a guy in Scotland!

They look to be in good condition.

To be honest, I didn't understand the significance of them until I looked into them.

9" are readily available new (at £354.00 each!), but 10" don't seem to have been available new or second hand for decades.

If Stuart says they are rare, they must be. He would know.

Feel free to contact me if interested. I'll ping you an email as well.

Regards, Simon

68591220_Alfins1.thumb.jpeg.c6ecc6745dbdb1c81191be0dfddba0e2.jpeg

Nice one Simon, I hope theyre good circumferentially.

Stuart.

Have I read somewhere that the Datsun 240/260 Z rear drums fitted our TR’s just needed the axle holes releasing. And they come in finned versions. 

1 hour ago, Hamish said:

Have I read somewhere that the Datsun 240/260 Z rear drums fitted our TR’s just needed the axle holes releasing. And they come in finned versions. 

Yes but they also need the stud holes relieving and they arent that good quality.

Stuart.

27 minutes ago, Z320 said:

I remember a post anywhere (?) about a ring with radial fins to be pressed on the standard brake drum?

Sorry me if this note causes any confusion... :ph34r:

Yes Racetorations used to do them, I dont think they do now though.

Stuart.

22 minutes ago, stuart said:

Yes but they also need the stud holes relieving and they arent that good quality.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart. Good to have the full story in one place. 

H