I've always felt that the gearbox in my TR3a is odd; it "feels" different. The speedo also reads about 33% slow. Whilst I havn't yet taken off the gearbox cover I have found that there is a small added panel that covers the speedo drive from the gearbox. Upon removing this I found that, unlike other TR2's and 3's I have had, the speedo cable is not screwed into the gearbox box to a right angled drive so I wonder what gearbox I have. Any ideas?

I propose to remove the right angled drive and see if the speedo cable will connect directly to the gearbox outlet but the impression I get (it is difficult to see accurately) is that the speedo drive outlet from the gearbox is not angled as on a "proper" TR gearbox and will make this difficult. The alternative is to send the right angled drive to Speedograph Richfield and ask if they can change the ratio from a presumed 1:0.67 to 1:1.

Easiest way to be certain is get the stamped number

from the boss by the clutch drop arm and then confirm the number

lots of reference tables about, otherwise might be TR or Saloon or whatever.

john

Hi Dave,

I thought the TR2 -4 had the speedo cable coming straight out of the GB or OD and then passed under the floor in  a loop.

The angle drive started with the TR4A. There is no reason for the earlier cars not to have an angle drive though.

I believe that the angle drive is already a 1:1 ratio.  Have you counted yours.?

Roger 

4 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Dave,

I thought the TR2 -4 had the speedo cable coming straight out of the GB or OD and then passed under the floor in  a loop.

The angle drive started with the TR4A. There is no reason for the earlier cars not to have an angle drive though.

I believe that the angle drive is already a 1:1 ratio.  Have you counted yours.?

Roger 

Yes, do check. The purpose of those gear adapters was not only to change direction of the cable but to compensate for different transmission and axle ratios (there were straight adapters also). They were available in a variety of ratios including 1:1. We used them regularly on trucks back in the day. That said, neither of my TR3s have adapters.

Tom

6 hours ago, Lebro said:

From your speedo reading I would say you probably have a saloon box fitted. (take off ratio of 3.5:1, TR = 2.5:1)

Bob

+1

Peter W