Upper Steering Column

Hello folks

I am refreshing the upper steering column (new bushings and repaint). The plastic escutcheons are in good shape (no scratches or cracks), but badly faded on the upper surface. I have tried using cutting compound to cut back to the original black with poor results. Are there any good plastic cutting/polishing compounds you guys have used? Or could I try a very fine wet and dry to cut back the surface and polish with cutting compound?

Regards

Craig

The UV damage may be deeper than simple cutting can fix.  You don't have much to lose by trying more aggressive abrasives. I think I might even start with 220 or so and go finer from there.

Ed

Or try one of the cheaply available plastic headlamp renovation kits

i tried this on the very tired looking headlamps of an old golf and it worked a treat.

there was sanding, compounding then sealing if i recall

steve

Craig - I think you are talking about the  black plastic "cowls" which cover the mechanics of the indicator switch etc on the steering column  - if so, there are some very good paints which go happily on plastic and I bet you wouldn't be able  to tell the difference 

cheers

Rich

4 hours ago, rcreweread said:

Craig - I think you are talking about the  black plastic "cowls" which cover the mechanics of the indicator switch etc on the steering column  - if so, there are some very good paints which go happily on plastic and I bet you wouldn't be able  to tell the difference 

cheers

Rich

+1. I used Rustoleum (I think) plastic paint and it’s lasted well. 

Light sand with 1500 W/dry and then paint with black cellulose works a treat, then a very light polish with Tcut and re-apply the decals.

Stuart.

Thanks all. Cutting compound seems to be working with more elbow grease. I'll also try the headlight restorer.

One other question - I've got the upper column back in, with side does the indicator cancelling clip fit on the shaft? With the ridge pointing towards the indicator switch or opposite?

Edited by TR674

If I recall correctly, it should be in between the 2 spring loaded fingers of the switch, so pointing horizontal towards the indicator switch.

Waldi