Number plate lamp CP Series

Hi Ian, how spooky... I've been playing with the number plate lamp on TRoy, my 1970 TR6 (cp) today. It depends how small & dextrous your fingers are, but you might be able to get a 2BA spanner or socket onto the nuts that hold the lamp onto the bumper, to get it off, but even if you can manage this, I imagine it will be nearly impossible to get them back on again. If you've got big fingers (like me), you'll need to take the bumper off, or you can do like I did: slacken (but don't remove) the 2 side bolts next to the  wheel arches, & then remove the rear bolts, & carefully swing the bumper down (pivoting on those side bolts), & rest it on a bucket or box or something. Take care with this, 'cos there's lots of scope for scraping the paint on the valance. This should give you (relatively) easy access to the lamp mounting.   I found that mine wasn't working 'cos of a poor earth, so I ran a wire from of one of the mounting screws, through the hole in the valance where the 'LIVE' wires for the lamp come through, back into the boot, & attached to one the side/indicator/etc lamp mounting screws.

When I'd done this, one of the no. plate lamps still wasn't working (both bulbs were healthy & the bulb was flickering as I was twisting it into the bulb holder), so after some head scratching, & some muttered curses, I noticed the 'LIVE' contact in the bulb holder had managed to swivel itself 'round in its' fibre base plate; after a bit of fiddling around with it, I managed to get it working..... Hopefully the gremlins will leave my '6 alone for a while now!

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Paul.

Edited by TR Paul
gramatical!

No worries, Ian. Good luck with your bumper.

Happy TR'ing,

Paul.