Hi all, it has come to my notice recently that hire car companies in general when abroad will not hire a car to a driver over 70 years of age. 

This makes me wonder if this affects the TR breakdown insurance, as when we broke down in France some years ago aged about 60 the means of getting us home was a hire car provided by the car insurance company (Register Scheem current at that time). So now being over 70 I wonder what arrangements would be made to get us home if we broke down again.

I will contact the TR insurance but would like to know if anyone has first hand knowledge of the. 

Chris

I used to be a director of a garage business in the UK that hired vans and cars. Our insurers always insisted on a maximum age of 75 for hirers, unless we had previously referred a customer and their history to the underwriters. I did this once or twice for regular customers and the insurers accepted the hire.

Most leasing companies can't be bothered with the extra admin for a minority of older customers. Sorry, but that's the way it is.

Getting renewal terms agreed on our hire fleet insurance was always hassle, every year. In the end, as a small player, we simply ended the hire part of the business because it was more trouble and risk than it was worth.

Nigel

Update, TR Register Insurance have contacted me on this but I am still waiting for an anwser to the question. I will update when I get a full reply.

Chris