Windscreen fit with surround on or off the car

Good day,

Close to fitting the new windscreen. I have the surround off the car.

?? Should I fit the empty surround to the car then fit windscreen or, fit the windscreen to the surround then the whole assembly to the car. 2nd option gives me good access to fit windscreen with surround on my workbench but am worried about possible distortion and screen breakage when I fit the whole assembly. 

Whats the options chaps??

David B

I'm not saying it can't be done, but you'd need a substantial jig to hold it in place while wrestling with it - something like a car would be perfect.

Fit the frame to the car first - you can adjust it later.

Jerry

Jerry,

That’s interesting. Hadn’t thought it would be a such a wrestle. Thought I would just lay the surround on my b&d workmate and work around it. Mmm! Will think about that. 

Thanks for that. David B

David

I had a similar experience with both the windscreen and the glass for the surrey top.  It can be quite a struggle to fit the rubber especially if new.  I agree with Jerry - definitely fit the glass with the frames fixed to the car.

Tip - choose a warm day and leave the car in the sun for a couple of hours to make the rubber more malleable.

Bob

Edited by Bobble