Visible Theft Deterrent

Hi Mark

I bought a not too expensive motorbike chain lock, the type with a cloth cover over the chain and a plunger type lock with the yale type keyhole in the end, I put the chain through a front wire wheel and through the chassis/suspension making sure it is visible at the front of the car if it is going to be left unattended for a while, I normally use a stoplock thing on the steering wheel as well if its being left for a long time,overnight for instance, you can obviously remove the rotor arm and a good trick is to fit a tap in the fuel line somewhere so if it is driven away it will stop when the carbs empty..

Phil..

I've fitted a concealed battery master switch in both my 3A and 'E'-type. Very effective. My 'E''-type has also got a steering column lock.

Both my cars are fitted with electric petrol pumps and I will fit isolator switches as well. 

I'll also consider fitting the Halfords 'Stop Lock'.

At the moment I've absolutely no intention of bringing the cars back on the road. 

Tom.

Thanks folks.

I need a big obvious visible deterrent such as the StopLock - Thanks Roger I'll pop by Halfords and exercise my trade card on my way up North this afternoon.

I also have a Facet fuel pump and could quite easily put a switch in there or a master isolator - perhaps look at that after our TRip.

Looks like the sun is shining so will post a few pic's on my return.

Cheers

On 5/14/2019 at 6:57 PM, Geko said:

remove the steering wheel with the cordless wrench you have in your garage.

When my son was at Manchester University, someone he knew used to remove the steering wheel to stop it being stolen. However it just proved to be a challenge to a thief and the car was stolen. When it was found some time later there was a wrench attached to the steering boss.

Go for more than one device such as has been suggested by others above - concealed switches, battery isolators and a visible deterrent such as a steering wheel lock. If you leave it anywhere with the top down then wind up the windows to stop people leaning inside to have a look at it. You could always fit a wheel clamp but they are a bit big and bulky to carry around.

Keith

13 hours ago, keith1948 said:

When my son was at Manchester University, someone he knew used to remove the steering wheel to stop it being stolen. However it just proved to be a challenge to a thief and the car was stolen. When it was found some time later there was a wrench attached to the steering boss.

Urban legend...

9 hours ago, Geko said:

Urban legend...

Hi 'Geko"

You have obviously not lived in Manchester. He had some other friends who were burgled - or should I say there was a knock at the door and when they opened it there was a gang standing there with sawn off shotguns. They held my sons friends at gunpoint while they took what they wanted. When the police finally arrived the only help they could offer was to say to his friends they should move to a different area.

I was once in a phone box there with my son phoning a landlord to find a new place for him to live. Outside the phone box someone was being robbed at knifepoint while we were on the phone. Fortunately the robber ran off and left us ok. Another occasion there was a gun battle between drugs gangs nearby. I also remember driving down one road where gangs of youngsters were throwing bricks and stones at passing cars - nice!

It's not all like that before someone points that out but there are definitely some areas to avoid.

Oh and the story of the car without the steering wheel being stolen is actually true on this occasion.

Keith

Having lived and worked in and around openshaw Gorton area in the 1990s I and confirm and more what m/c was like. 

Older cars were like boris bikes  the scallys would help themselves to a car and dump it only for the next person to use it. Trick was to only have about a gallon in it.

Loads better now.

Whilst doing a gig at the Hacienda club (Manchester) in the mid eighties the bar upstairs was robbed at gunpoint and our tour bus was broken into with the driver asleep inside it!

Stuart.

Gun crime ???  I thought that Cardinal Blair had banned guns off our streets ??? Thanks to him my collection of antique Winchester commemorative rifles

were ruined as I had to have them deactivated. Most of the rifles had never, ever been fired since they left the factory!

Well, what about the Chilcott enquiry ~ when (if ever) do we see the named person brought to justice???

Tom.