Vredestein or Firestone

I am about to change rear tyres on the 4A but unsure whether to mix the brands. I have had Firestone 195/65 R15 on the car & they have been very good, lasting well with good grip. Vredestein have been mentioned a lot lately so should I replace with Firestones to match the make with the fronts or change the rears to Vredestein?

I am one of the converted for Vredestein. Grippy enough for me and lasting well  That is using the standard size and profile  165/80/15 on TR6 5.5J steel rims

The 195/65/15 seem a good price

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&sowigan=&one_size=195|65||15&Speed=&Marke=Vredestein&ranzahl=4&search_tool=standard&rsmFahrzeugart=&suchen=Search+for+tyres

Cheers

Peter W

What's grim about it & is it safe & sensible to still have another make (Firestones with similar tread pattern) on the front?

2 hours ago, monty said:

What's grim about it & is it safe & sensible to still have another make (Firestones with similar tread pattern) on the front?

Yes I would have thought so as long as you do not mix types or sizes on the same axle.

I would probably ask the tyre supplier/fitter.

Cheers

Peter W

3 hours ago, monty said:

Yes ok Monty, just remember if only 2 tyres are being fitted, to fit to the rear so you may have to swap around.

Mick Richards

I think as long as the Ttrac works well it seems pointless to spend a lot more when with the low mileage I drive, my tyres get old before they wear out! Anybody got a photo of this grim sidewall?

40 minutes ago, monty said:

I think as long as the Ttrac works well it seems pointless to spend a lot more when with the low mileage I drive, my tyres get old before they wear out! Anybody got a photo of this grim sidewall?

I posted a link above that has a sort of sidewall view.

https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&sowigan=&one_size=195|65||15&Speed=&Marke=Vredestein&ranzahl=4&search_tool=standard&rsmFahrzeugart=&suchen=Search+for+tyres

Which 195/65/15 tyre are you thinking of?  T Trac, Quatrac or Sportrac - looks like they all have the same modern sidewall design.

Cheers

Peter W

4 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

I posted a link above that has a sort of sidewall view.

Which 195/65/15 tyre are you thinking of?  T Trac, Quatrac or Sportrac - looks like they all have the same modern sidewall design.

Cheers

Peter W

People seem to be mentioning the T Trac as a general useable acceptable tyre except for this sidewall issue which I still do not see or understand. Covering 2000 miles or less a year my tyres get old rather than worn so cannot see the sense of spending a lot as long as the tyre type is good.

1 hour ago, monty said:

People seem to be mentioning the T Trac as a general useable acceptable tyre except for this sidewall issue which I still do not see or understand. Covering 2000 miles or less a year my tyres get old rather than worn so cannot see the sense of spending a lot as long as the tyre type is good.

I think people talk about T Trac as the usable acceptable tyre as it comes in 165/80/15 size at a sensible price. 

Peter W

When I polished the TTrac2 sidewalls for the IWE  the accentuated pattern appeared as dark and light patches in the sunlight.  To be fair its a lot less of an eyesore when left unpolished. 

E16063FA-5375-4913-AA86-C43C227C6A6E.jpeg

2 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

I think people talk about T Trac as the usable acceptable tyre as it comes in 165/80/15 size at a sensible price. 

Peter W

Also because it has good grip in the wet, and good economy.

Andrew, try to think of the sidewall pattern as a feature, not an eyesore!

Pete

Just bought 4 x T Trac2 for £172 from  Demon Tweekes. Delivery included. What is not to like? Made in the Netherlands ....so it says on the sidewall.

Last set of T Tracs just time expired. Great tyres, great wet and dry grip and great value.

Iain.

1 hour ago, Drewmotty said:

To be fair its a lot less of an eyesore when left unpolished. 

spot on.... i found that out with mine,  the dull/matt look is definitely the best bet.

..... Andy

Seriously, within reason, does it matter what they look like as long as they work?  To me it was a no brainer, £40 a corner vs somewhere north of £100.  Like Monty said, my tyres get old before they get worn out.

Rgds Ian

Thanks to all for the comments & advice. Have just ordered 2 TTrac's from Camskill @ just under £77 including delivery. £30 to fit & properly balance (centre lock wheels) @ Blockley tyres later. At my rate of use should last years!

8 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

Seriously, within reason, does it matter what they look like as long as they work?  To me it was a no brainer, £40 a corner vs somewhere north of £100.  Like Monty said, my tyres get old before they get worn out.

Rgds Ian

Hi Ian,

quite so.

I had the T-TRacs and they worked well and lasted reasonably well - perhaps a slightly harder compound compared to the sprint classic.

I had to buy the Sprint Classics last October because there were no T-TRacs in the country with no due date.

I feel (my opinion) that the Sprint Classic is a far better tyre. Excellent grip both in dry and wet.

I know it doesn't really matter but they do look good.

Roger

If you don’t like your sidewall pattern, just attack it with an angle grinder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnwevOfIUqA

Or turn them into Goodyears:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/lovebugfans/got-goodyear-no-then-make-some-t9360.html

Do people REALLY do this?

Charlie.