Overdrive solenoid puzzle

So I have a new OD solenoid which I was going to fit today, as the garage had a look and said all seemed fine with what was going to it but it was not operating. the wire was disconnected and up on top of the box (I assume the garage had left it off), so had to get the tunnel out to get at it....which was a pain!

Reconnected wire to old solenoid, sure enough, a click is only heard from relay when disengaging, nothing from solenoid and no operation. Connected new solenoid (did not install it in situ).....same thing. Put meter on cable to solenoid....sure enough 12.5 ish volts on it when engaged, 0 when disengaged. Put meter on old solenoid, disconnected.....very low ohms, going up to 12 ish when plunger pushed up. Same on the new one. This indicates they both should work fine, right? But no dice.....I can't figure what the problem is.

Did you have the cable actually connected to the solenoid when you measured the voltage?  If not there was no load on the wire and your meter could just be reading voltage through a duff connection as it takes next to no current itself. 

Do the solenoids pull-in properly when connected direct to the battery?  If so its probably a bad connection somewhere in the relay circuit.

Hi, and thanks....some good points. No, I simply connected meter to wire end when checking voltage, not connected to solenoid. And I didn't think of checking the solenoid(s) direct to battery!....will try those things.

One of my projects next time I have the tunnel off will be to install a light to confirm when the solenoid is getting 12V at its terminal. Reliability is not a strongpoint of  old Lucas bullet connectors.