Knobs - Choke/Starter - Push or Pull

Bakelite switch knobs -   Wording - Choke or Choke Pull.      Starter or Starter Push

My TR2 had the two knobs with the single words Starter and Choke engraved on them only, no hint of what you should do. 

Does any one know of a change point the extra words were added at?

Was it added for the US market?

Overdrive or Overdrive Pull?

Cheers

Peter W

PS This question is up there with the red line on the tacho I suspect.  Roger M-E What is on TS70L switch knobs?

Mine is the same as Toms. 

Whilst I can push and pull the starter and choke I find it very difficult to operate side with my head.

Edited by Hamish

FWIW To rejuvenate the lettering I scrape the old white out and then use Tippex to re-letter, you dont need to be too acurate with the lettering as you then Tcut over the face of the knob which takes off the excess and cleans up the knob as well, looks very original. However if you wnat to be clever use luminous paint instead.

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...

The Lucas Spare Parts Catalog 1948-1962  lists the "STARTER" only and "CHOKE" only knobs for TR2 1954

They list the later two word switches =  TR2 1955, TR3 1956-1961

However, there is a publicity photo of Petula Clark taken in a  new TR2 in "early 1955" which clearly shows the one word knobs.

Frank

FWIW January 1954 Longdoor TR2 dash switches had single words no instructions as to what to do with them. So if you pull the starter and push the choke there's something wrong!!!!!!!!!

Rod

On 5/23/2019 at 2:56 AM, 6TTR3A said:

The Lucas Spare Parts Catalog 1948-1962  lists the "STARTER" only and "CHOKE" only knobs for TR2 1954

They list the later two word switches =  TR2 1955, TR3 1956-1961

However, there is a publicity photo of Petula Clark taken in a  new TR2 in "early 1955" which clearly shows the one word knobs.

Frank

Excellent info thank you

Peter W

Pete,

Overdrive knob.

Graham Robson's book The Triumph TRs P.21, has a dashboard photo

of TS1 'back in the day'.You can just about see the overdrive knob on the left

next to the heater switch.My less than high quality magnifying glass seems to

think there are 2 word groupings (upper and lower), so I'm going to go for

Overdrive Pull!

Roger M-E