TR6 Diff oil leak/removal

I live in Kent a few minutes from Brands Hatch. I am looking for a reliable mechanic to remove the diff on my 1975 TR6. The diff itself is working well but the oil leak has gradually got worse to the point were I have to top it up twice a year using almost a litre each top up. I feel I have pushed my luck far enough and the time has come for a complete overhaul on the rear end.

I would be most grateful if anyone recommend  a mechanic or garage in my area. Although I have had the 6 for over twenty years I have been lucky enough not to have any major mechanical work carried out on the car.

I have attached a photo of my pride and joy

Kind regards

Grant Coulson

IMG_4445.jpeg

Grant 

Which seal is leaking - front or rears? If the leak is that bad, you may find you will need to replace the offending flange as it could be leaking because the seal surface is worn or corroded and no amount of seal replacement will cure that.

Cheers

Rich 

A few years ago i replaces all three seals on my tr6 diff, not too difficult apart from separating the tapers :

post-9473-0-89147100-1498316594_thumb.jpg

steve

Did the UK not get the raised bumpers and rubber overriders in 75?

Graham 

6 hours ago, Graham J said:

Did the UK not get the raised bumpers and rubber overriders in 75?

Graham 

Thankfully no.  Only NAS markets.

cheers

Peter W

I had the same problem last year. It was the breather that was blocked, worth checking that first before spending major money.

Mark.

Thanks very much for all your replies. 

Rich, It is coming from the rear but as you know it's very difficult to actually see exactly which seal without getting it up on ramps, it might be more than one seal.

Steve, its a job I would not take on myself, I have very limited engineering skills.

Roger, that's a good shout, I'll give Maidstone a call.

Mark, I was unaware the diff had a breather, having looked at diagrams i will now have a fiddle around. I might be lucky but as the leak has been around for years I would imagine the seals will have been blown by the pressure should the breather be blocked.

Thanks again for all your input.

Consider fitting a Speedi-sleeve to the input flange seal area if it is grooved.  size SKF 99149

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/99149-SKF-Speedi-Sleeve/222282904862?hash=item33c117f51e:g:Ef0AAOSwTmtantGK&frcectupt=true

Cheers

Peter W

On 5/13/2019 at 8:13 PM, Grant Coulson said:

Thanks very much for all your replies. 

Rich, It is coming from the rear but as you know it's very difficult to actually see exactly which seal without getting it up on ramps, it might be more than one seal.

Steve, its a job I would not take on myself, I have very limited engineering skills.

Roger, that's a good shout, I'll give Maidstone a call.

Mark, I was unaware the diff had a breather, having looked at diagrams i will now have a fiddle around. I might be lucky but as the leak has been around for years I would imagine the seals will have been blown by the pressure should the breather be blocked.

Thanks again for all your input.

Hi Grant,

I had leaks from the driveshaft seals and pinnion seal, once I cleared the breather I have had no leaks at all.

Cheers.

Mark.

Here are photos of the breather pin, top & inside views.

Capacity of the entire differential is 1.42 liters.

If you raise the rear end with a trolley jack centered under the diff (with supports under the chassis), or, even drive it up on some wood boards- you could slide yourself underneath to have a look at where it is leaking from.

This way you could be more knowledgeable when you approach the repair shop.

Cheers

Walt

DSCF1104.JPG

DSCF1102.JPG

Edited by Sapphire72

I would recommend Hardy Engineering of Leatherhead, having used them for a number vehicles, including at various times a TR6 gearbox, overdrive and differential. They are classic car transmission experts and have the facilities to remove your differential, check its condition and rebuild/repair as necessary. In my experience they will do this without without carrying out un-necessary work.

Leatherhead is of course not too far from Brands Hatch.

Ian

Talking of over filling what is the correct capacity for a TR6 Axle. I have the original handbook for a 1975 which states 1.27 litres, a Bentley manual which states the same and a Haynes manual which states 1.42 litres.  I assume 1.27 is correct?  Can anyone solve the riddle . The Bentley manual does mention1.42 for a pre 1970 USA model!  Maybe that is the answer.

Roger

I fill it until oil pours out, the filler opening is also the required level.

Waldi

22 hours ago, The horseman said:

I would recommend Hardy Engineering of Leatherhead, having used them for a number vehicles, including at various times a TR6 gearbox, overdrive and differential. They are classic car transmission experts and have the facilities to remove your differential, check its condition and rebuild/repair as necessary. In my experience they will do this without without carrying out un-necessary work.

Leatherhead is of course not too far from Brands Hatch.

Ian

+1 They are known to be the DB's for transmission work in the S,E. for all marques, this is where I would go! In my view diff work is a precision job well beyond most classic car workshops!

Bruce.

1 hour ago, Waldi said:

I fill it until oil pours out, the filler opening is also the required level.

Waldi

I do that as well with the car level, but I've never known how much is needed for a  total  fill.

Thanks Waldi/Mike/Walt

I was interested in knowing what the correct capacity was as I have my  empty axle out at the mo and it's an easy fill rather in situ. I will next time top on a level surface once I have worked out an easy way as my TR is a bit low to get underneath. A bit weird my owners workshop manual says 1.27 litres and that whats gone in.  Out on the road hopefully Wednesday, first time this year as the winter jobs took a bit longer than expected.

Waldi I have attached a link you asked for showing a Bosch filter as 8 Micron. I expect most post filters around that figure. Better late than never.

Regards

Roger

38 minutes ago, Rogcastle said:

Hi Roger, I think it was John who was interested in another post. 

Best regards,

Waldi

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Steve 07976 said:

the 0450905021 is not a suitable filter for a Lucas PI system as it is only rated to 8bar. A friend had one fitted to a Jag with a Mk1 Lucas PI system. The can split with quite spectacular results.

8 bar is 116 psi rated pressure. I would have thought it would take a least 170 psi to rupture it. Well above the PI system's working pressure.