Hi,

I am re-building and restoring my Princess calipers (SS pistons and new seels) and I have a couple of questions.  First, how do I bleed them, given the three nipples?

Second, after I take them back to bare metal, what is the best way to prevent rust?  VHT clear coat (which brand, if any), zinc coating or something else?

Cheers,

Michael

What I did when bleeding was start at the top one, since air rises to the top. I found that having done that one first I found that little or no air comes out of the bottom ones. 

Al

• 1 month later...

Best way to bleed them is to go to Halfords and buy one of the Gunston pressure bleeders that you connect to a tyre so you don't need to do the up/down thing with the pedal and upset you other half in the process.  It also much better at driving out air bubbles.  I always start at the lowest one first to chase the air 'uphill'.

1 hour ago, Larryjc said:

Best way to bleed them is to go to Halfords and buy one of the Gunston pressure bleeders that you connect to a tyre so you don't need to do the up/down thing with the pedal and upset you other half in the process.  It also much better at driving out air bubbles.  I always start at the lowest one first to chase the air 'uphill'.

If there is anymore than 10 lbs pressure in the tyre, you, your car, your garage and the wall between your neighbouring properties will be dripping with brake fluid. Try and make sure the brake reservoir cap is a really good fit.

Mick Richards

+1 for what Mick just said.

It happened to me last week ! (I think I had about 12 PSI)

After the explosion I modified the process slightly. In the kit there is a bottle that you fill with fluid, so you don’t need to keep checking if the level has gone down in the master cylinder. The problem here is that if (When) the cap comes off the master cylinder, you end up with a brake fluid spray gun.

I just left the bottle empty. OK, you need to check the master cylinder level periodically, but the whole process does not end in disaster.

Charlie