Advice please re knock in drivetrain

Just to update everybody on this issue.

Having decided that the problem was in the diff, I agreed terms on a reconditioned unit with Rich and started to take it out. It was then that I discovered play in the rear UJ on the prop shaft which I think was causing the knocking all along. Not sure how this came about. All the bearings were there but one side of the UJ was able to slide over and back in the caps. You can see what I mean in the video.

Anyway, replaced the UJ in the prop shaft. Put it all back together and the clunking is gone. Had a 40 mile drive through the Sussex countryside this afternoon and no clunking.

Rich kindly agreed to defer our deal on a replacement diff, gentleman that he is.

Thank you to everybody who helped with this issue.

Sean

Hi Sean,

what is the history of that UJ.

Last year I became aware that some UJ's (GKN perhaps others) had blue or black witches hats inside then to space out the bearing.

What their actual purpose is I do not know but they would stop your sliding

Roger

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

Just to update everybody on this issue.

Having decided that the problem was in the diff, I agreed terms on a reconditioned unit with Rich and started to take it out. It was then that I discovered play in the rear UJ on the prop shaft which I think was causing the knocking all along. Not sure how this came about. All the bearings were there but one side of the UJ was able to slide over and back in the caps. You can see what I mean in the video.

Anyway, replaced the UJ in the prop shaft. Put it all back together and the clunking is gone. Had a 40 mile drive through the Sussex countryside this afternoon and no clunking.

Rich kindly agreed to defer our deal on a replacement diff, gentleman that he is.

Thank you to everybody who helped with this issue.

Sean

Sean - really glad you got it sorted without having to change the diff (:( - I tried to find a crying emoji but there didn't appear to be one in the library which are the only ones I could use!) , honestly and thanks for the kind words - anyone want a spare diff! 

Cheers   Rich