Very......one of the first few Traction’s I received as a new member  too.....seems along time ago, but still pertinent. 

Iain

Every chance I get I encourage TR owners to check these essential fitments, Roll over bar, Alloy rear firewall, and as outlined the front wishbone suspension mounting on the TR4a/5/6.

Driving a TR is one of life's pleasures but they are cars from a bygone age, if a new car was being sold with these shortcomings we wouldn't consider either buying it or driving our families around in it. Instead owners persuade themselves that they drive sedately on public roads forgetting the unforeseen cyclist emerging from a side road that causes a driver to swerve and put a wheel onto a soft verge which digs in and...it's over. No rear roll over bar or alloy rear of cockpit firewall... No second chances.

Or whilst you are sat at a sideroad T junction a 3.5 ton White van driving too fast losing it and T boning you turning the car over, causing the cockpit to lozenge, the fuel tank to rupture and the occupants to be killed in the conflagration. No rear roll over bar (which helps the cockpit remain square) or alloy rear of cockpit firewall... No second chances. 

Alec had lost friends over the years of variations of the above and had posted a number of times trying to persuade TR owners to examine their own cars and commit to improving it's safety. It's all about priorities.

Mick Richards     

...and I recall making those aluminium firewalls on the bandsaw when I worked with C&B. The templates were still in the sample stores when I left in 1993.

Friday was my day in the workshop.  I think the man who ran the workshop saved up all the special jobs for me to do - I seemed always to build diffs or steering boxes, bandsaw out firewalls or bulkhead sealer plates, fly press outer sill ends & blanke and raise hardtop cappings for TR2-3A.  All strenuous or ponderous stuff.

Peter W

Alec' s words are even more pertinent today than in 1979.Triumphs in general and TRs in particular look incredibly vulnerable compared to contemporary vehicles. I have a roll bar fitted and front hub strengthening kit but does anyone know where the tank shield and suspension strengthening kit can be purchased. Apologies in advance if this has already been discussed in other threads ,

Cheers 

Laurence 

Edited by D1070

Laurence your car should have the front suspension kit fitted already I would have thought, Revingtons do a firewall kit.

Stuart.

However, be aware that the Revington firewall for a Sidescreen needs quite a lot of fettling to fit it. It’s not a simple bolt on task. At the very least you need to make a template and cut it to fit before trimming the aluminium sheet you get from Revington. 

Rgds Ian

I fitted a Revington firewall a couple of years ago.

1) It is only a sheet of ally (thickness?) which has been cut VERY approximately to the right shape and needs serious fettling (cutting and bending) A template in cardboard first is essential.

2) It is one hell of a fiddle to fit especially if your panel ajustment skills are very limited like mine. The top is an aberration and to be done really well the fuel tank needs to come out.

On my post 60 000 3A I pop rivetted ally angle iron to the body work  wherever I could and then fitted the firewall while 'shaping' it at the same time. The whole sealed with soft setting mastic.

Mine intrudes into the cockpit area a little so reducing the space behind the seats

Not an easy job but satisfaction guaranteed once it is in 

james

Edited by james christie

There’s just as much work getting the proprietary firewall to fit as there is making your own. 

I have templates and a former to make a lip around the diff bulge which you are welcome to borrow Laurence. 

In 1979 I was going to see John Hayter of the Berkshire TR Centre to buy a surrey top to give some roll over protection when I barrel rolled the 4A. Its not a comfortable feeling being trapped in an inverted car with the petrol gurgleing out nearby. Fortunately some burly lads came along and flipped the car back on its wheels before disaster struck. A firewall would have been good but it wouldn't have prevented the dislodged filler cap which a surrey top or roll over bar would have. John had stories of front suspension failures but hopefully most cars have been sorted by now.

Cheers Richard