Radiator cap and high running temperature

10 hours ago, Mike C said:

Oil on the passenger floor in a RHD car is probably from the oil gauge or its connecting pipeline.

To avoid any confusion, the oil was on the ground under the car, not in the passenger side, but your point about the pipeline is one I was considering as the spill seems to centre on where this connection is. If not here, then possibly the oil pressure release valve - can this spurt out about 100ml of oil in certain circumstances?

8 hours ago, Mike C said:

When the oil spurts out from that location it doesn't stop. I find the easiest way to track down oil leaks is to thoroughly clean everything then watch closely for any  incipient leaks.

That's the plan now. It's going to be a few weeks before I can get back out to do this now with work commitments, a holiday booked and having to "sort the garden out" to balance up the time I spend on "that damn car"!!

Is the car fitted with an oil cooler !

One of my pipes developed a pin hole leak had to take the rad duct cover off it was in a section of pipe not rubbing on any metal parts can only think a stone caused a very small cut.

All sorted now

Alec

7 hours ago, alec said:

Is the car fitted with an oil cooler !

No oil cooler, spin-on oil filter conversion but not the one that takes the oil cooler

If I may continue this thread.

I have new re-cored radiator and new thermostat.  Today, engine was pushing into red and I had to put the internal radiator on (sun and heavy traffic).

I removed the thermostat and it helps, quite a lot, but suspect there is another issue.

Any help appreciated. 

I have new re-cored radiator and new thermostat.  Today, engine was pushing into red and I had to put the internal radiator on (sun and heavy traffic).

I removed the thermostat and it helps, quite a lot, but suspect there is another issue.

Any help appreciated. 

Any help appreciated. 

Any help appreciated. 

I would first test the thermostat in water, see at what temperature it is fully open.

If the car has been overheating since you installed the new radiator but was ok  before that it may be an air lock too; see recent thread about same topic.

Waldi