This photo popped up on my phone as one of those "...three years ago..." things.

Thought I'd post it as a reminder to always check the depth of large puddles before you drive into them!!!

Jan and I take the TR down roads like this pretty often but that day I'd been fooled into a false sense of security by how dry the dirt roads were.  Whoops.  Fortunately, a local SUV came down 30 minutes later or so and pulled us out.  :wacko::)

IMG_20160430_133047.jpg

In 1969 I had a brand new Hillman Imp as a company car. I proudly took it out to show my mates who had gone to a pub near Aston Cantlow (Stratford Upon Avon area). It had been raining heavily and I came to a low bridge and there was flooding just up to the level of the footpath.

I guessed there was about 3 or 4 inches of water there, so I slowed down and carried on. The steering got strangely light. And then I noticed water coming through the door seals and the car began to sink… Then the engine died…

What had happened was that the footpath had been raised up about 2 feet above road level (to allow pedestrians to pass in the event of a flood)and I’d foolishly assumed that it was the same level as the road. The Hillman, being rear engined, floated at the front, giving the impression that all was well. When the water level reached the top of the gear lever I was able to open the door and escape. Almost knee deep in water… I’d come straight from work and had an almost new suit on…

I walked the last half mile to the pub to ask my mates for help (They insisted in finishing their drinks first!) and eventually towed the car out. Turned the starter and water poured out the exhaust.

As Tim says:

“always check the depth of large puddles before you drive into them”

Charlie.