I think parts of this were done for the cameras. When they are lowering the 3A body onto the chassis the rear over riders are already on the chassis. Not how it would be done I would think.

The rear over rider brackets have a long bolt that actually goes through a tube in the body. In order to get that bolt in the over riders need to be removed, so I guess they would need to go on after the body was fitted

But I may be wrong…

Charlie.

Edited by Charlie D
2 hours ago, roger murray-evans said:

Rod,

I presume you are referring to the white(?) TR3 chassis frames.

Looking at the film, you'd think they all came in any colour as long as it wasn't black!

Roger M-E

Interesting point. You also had noticed that the non TR chassis on the build line are dark coloured, so probably black.  That hints that this is not a pre painting stage. The light coloured chassis is fitted with brakes discs, hand brake lever etc, stuff having to mask that lot when the black is applied.

OK, hands up all those with a not black chassis on a TR3A.

NB My hand is not raised.

Peter W

The two Italias I have had through one had a powder blue chassis and one had a red one. Last 3a through also had a red one.Seems to only be sidescreen (Or derivatives) that have coloured chassis all later cars seem to have black (Obviously apart from the VC cars that had white ones)

Stuart.

Taking the subject a little further then perhaps the  fact that nearly a dozen TR3 chassis

on the line were non-black, would indicate a batch of special orders?

Personally, I've never come across any TR chassis that wasn't black, but happy to accept

they obviously did/do exist and would be interested as to why.

Roger M-E

Mine was originally red. It still has red on the cruciform and the front cross tube. When it was painted black over the top I don’t know other than between build in Nov 1957 and 1972. 

Iain

18 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

Why not?

rgds Ian 

Because the long bolt that goes through the body is put through from the rear before the overrider is bolted on.

6 hours ago, John McCormack said:

Because the long bolt that goes through the body is put through from the rear before the overrider is bolted on.

Thks for this John but if the bottom overrider bolt is not done up tight could you swing it to on side to allow the top long bolt and tube to be fitted?

rgds Ian

5 hours ago, Ian Vincent said:

Thks for this John but if the bottom overrider bolt is not done up tight could you swing it to on side to allow the top long bolt and tube to be fitted?

rgds Ian

Unfortunately no Ian.

The overrider is held in place on the S shaped mounting bracket with two bolts, one above and one below the long bolt. When attached to the S bracket the overrider obstructs access to the long bolt hole from the top.

It isn't possible to put the long bolt in from the underside because the long bolt is inside a spacer tube that fits inside the hole in the body. The spacer tube must be installed from the rear.  

This diagram might help explain it.

image.png

19 hours ago, iain said:

Mine was originally red. It still has red on the cruciform and the front cross tube. When it was painted black over the top I don’t know other than between build in Nov 1957 and 1972. 

Iain

My limited experience, two cars, would support Rod's comment in the original post and your time frame. My 1960 TR3 was red with a red frame. I only recently discovered this after 55 years of ownership because the car was undercoated with black by the selling dealer, a common practice then. Stripping the frame revealed the red paint.  My 59 was originally white and has what appears to be a powder blue chassis from the traces remaining. I find that a good place to check is behind the rear shock mounting surface. (I initially thought this red might be red primer but it is a very close match to signal red and blue on the other car.) Of course there is ample opportunity things got monkeyed with in the 60 or so years since these were built.

The rear bumpers are curious but I can't see what would be gained by changing the assembly procedure for the camera.

The film is very interesting piece of history at any rate. How things have changed!

Tom

16 hours ago, TomMull said:

My limited experience, two cars, would support Rod's comment in the original post and your time frame. My 1960 TR3 was red with a red frame. I only recently discovered this after 55 years of ownership because the car was undercoated with black by the selling dealer, a common practice then. Stripping the frame revealed the red paint.  My 59 was originally white and has what appears to be a powder blue chassis from the traces remaining. I find that a good place to check is behind the rear shock mounting surface. (I initially thought this red might be red primer but it is a very close match to signal red and blue on the other car.) Of course there is ample opportunity things got monkeyed with in the 60 or so years since these were built.

The rear bumpers are curious but I can't see what would be gained by changing the assembly procedure for the camera.

The film is very interesting piece of history at any rate. How things have changed!

Tom

I can't see why they would have put the overriders on either. There seems no reason for it and there presence creates a high risk of damaging the body as it is placed in position on the chassis. Curious.

This really is an interesting film. Putting Atlas vans on the same line as TRs demonstrates clever early production flexibility pioneered by Jaguar and perfected by BMW.Getting the right parts to the right place at the right time is a difficult discipline. I wonder how many TRs were built with Atlas van rear axles and how many Atlas vans ended up with TR engines! Great stuff.

Its possible the overriders on the last car in the clip were for guidance of fitting the tub and are possibly removable for that task,  as the car in front does not seem to have the overriders fitted but the tub is in position, maybe.

Paul

On 5/4/2019 at 5:14 PM, roger murray-evans said:

Taking the subject a little further then perhaps the  fact that nearly a dozen TR3 chassis

on the line were non-black, would indicate a batch of special orders?

Personally, I've never come across any TR chassis that wasn't black, but happy to accept

they obviously did/do exist and would be interested as to why.

Roger M-E

Paint shop used whatever was left in the gun, not special order at all.

Stuart.

4 hours ago, Paul J said:

Its possible the overriders on the last car in the clip were for guidance of fitting the tub and are possibly removable for that task,  as the car in front does not seem to have the overriders fitted but the tub is in position, maybe.

Paul

Maybe, but the risk of damaging the body on the overrider iron would have been very high. It is a close fit there.

In case anyone is puzzled as to why the VC cars (Works' TR4 Rally cars) had white chassis, it was so that damage or cracks could be spotted more easily - and they suffered both!  There is photographic evidence, particularly from the 1962 Liège Rally. The chassis of these 4 cars were modified and strengthened considerably before the white paint was applied.

Ian Cornish

Edited by ianc