Hi all,

Do I need to remove the tank (TR4a) fully to replace the sender unit?

I have obtained a pair of Land rover engine mounts (as suggested by forum members) any suggestions, shortcuts to fit them please ?

Many thanks in advance Lee

Hi Lee,

regarding the mounts.

Remove the nuts form the existing mounts jack the engine up on one side. Remove the old mount

The new mounts use M8 studs/nuts - these should fit.  Fit the mount. You may want to fit some large washers underneath if you want to have the engine raised a little.

Do not tighten the nuts just yet.

Jack up the other side of the engine. This is a little more difficult to gain the height but persevere.

The old mount should come out easy(ish). The new mount will be a tight fit but will go.

Fits the nuts and tighten.

Job done.

Roger

34 minutes ago, Lee Dutton said:

Hi all,

I have obtained a pair of Land rover engine mounts (as suggested by forum members) any suggestions, shortcuts to fit them please ?

Hi Lee, what model of Landrover mount did you get? (part No?) decent quality?

VMT

David

2 hours ago, Lee Dutton said:

Hi all,

The sender unit can be changed with the fuel tank in place on a 4A. I did it yesterday but it is an awkward job. Note that whilst the new sender unit comes with a cork gasket (screw holes need to be made bigger) the float is not fitted with the sound deadening ring which can be ordered separately.  I used the ring from my original unit for another 50 years of service.

Tim

Lee, as Roger mentions, adding a few washers to the mounts can raise the engine enough to allow swapping of the fan belt easily. However with my car I had a bit of a sweat getting the engine jacked high enough to clear the mount studs, for fear of damaging the oil pan. All worked out ok, but I did use swear words from long dead civilizations, trying to remove/refit the mount nuts!:angry:

Jim

17 hours ago, Lee Dutton said:

Hi all,

17 hours ago, Lee Dutton said:

Hi you may find that using a ratchet spanner with a flat blade screwdriver bit in to get the screws out and back in to the tank as there is very little space between top of tank and boot lip. Work for me last spring.

Mark