After a pause of a few years I am now back to my TR6 rebuild and despite lots of pictures, there are aspects that I with!

Does anyone have pictures of the exhaust fitted to the rolling chassis or from underneath a built up vehicle?

My car is a CR series and the exhaust came from Bell's in Cricklade together with a fitting kit from Rimmer Bros.  So far the rubber support straps do not facilitate the rear box sitting level, which I recon must be wrong!

Thank you 

My rear box was not horizontal either, I had a fitting kit from Moss, but used Mikalor clamps. This combination did not go well for the RHS of the box. When I ordered an additional pair of standard clamps that i put besides the Mikalors for that position I got it level. 

Waldi

13 minutes ago, Waldi said:

My rear box was not horizontal either, I had a fitting kit from Moss, but used Mikalor clamps. This combination did not go well for the RHS of the box. When I ordered an additional pair of standard clamps that i put besides the Mikalors for that position I got it level. 

Waldi

I had the same problem with the rear box but corrected it by using jack on the dropped side and used standard exhaust U clamps, has never moved since and is gas tight. I think that the use of S/S pipework makes this more lightly to happen as there is much more movement in the pipe joints and one has to get the overall pipe lengths setting exactly correct. I did also use exhaust joint pipe sealant.

Bruce.

Hi Bruce,

yes, U clamps is what I meant.

You make a good point about the SS systems:

The SS exhaust has a 50% higher thermal expansion compared to a mild steel exhaust, and the front is the fixed point, so all movement is towards the rear. 

A rough indication of the amount of movement:

1) Average metal temperature (not gas): 270 degr. C, this is an estimate, it will be higher or lower, depending on driving conditions etc.

2) Length: 3 meters

3) Expansion coefficient for austenitic SS: 1.8 mm/m/100 degr.C

This results in an expansion from 20-270C:

(270-20) /100 x 1.8 x 3.5 =16 mm.

Especially the rear rubber mountings should be installed with a cold offset (rear box more to the front) , so it is as close as possible to neutral when hot.

Waldi

Thank you all for the info,  I did not realise that the S/S exhaust would expend so much!

14 minutes ago, Slantfour said:

I did not realise that the S/S exhaust would expend so much!

Yes, it does; mild steel will expand at a rate of 1.2 mm/m/100C, so around 2/3 of a SS exhaust.

Waldi

For what it's worth I used to cold set pipes 50%- with the support on zero movement halfway between hot and cold. 

My rationale on this was that damage to the supports was minimized by limiting the movement to 50% each way rather than, say, 100% in one  direction.

Don't know if linear expansion would be a problem with my exhaust, there are a lot of bends to take it up.

8 hours ago, Mike C said:

For what it's worth I used to cold set pipes 50%- with the support on zero movement halfway between hot and cold. 

My rationale on this was that damage to the supports was minimized by limiting the movement to 50% each way rather than, say, 100% in one  direction.

Don't know if linear expansion would be a problem with my exhaust, there are a lot of bends to take it up.

Hi Mike,

the 50/50 method can be a good approach, as sometimes we are limited by bracket positions etc.

Regarding the elbows influencing movement:

they do not influence the thermal movement between 2 points, but do create some (limited) flexibility.

Regards,

Waldi