A MOST BASIC QUESTION!

Hi All,

I was challenged the other day - the indicator switch on my TR4 is on the wrong side, quoth he!  My non-overdrive has the stem on the left. He said it should be on the right.  The original handbook states that it is on the "inboard side of the steering column cowl,  [and shows it there in the labelling of Instruments & Indicators, both LHD and RHD].  I sent a tech query to Moss and Adam  replied thus...."I have always known the switch to be mounted on the right side as sitting in the driver's seat in a RHD car. As a family we have a Mk3 Spitfire, Mk1 Vitesse and a TR6 all with overdrive and the indicator switches are all on the right side of the column, same side as the column overdrive switch.
> Our schematic shows it on the right side too."

Bill Piggott's originality tome describes it as being on the steering column on the opposite side to the optional overdrive.  My gut feel is that makes it on the LEFT as mine is.

I suspect there is a danger of parts books favouring US cars due to the overwhelming number of LHDs to RHDs.

Pic attached of my car's twig.          I look forward to expert opinion!

Best wishes    Willie

7. Dash view minus dummy OD switch.JPG

34 minutes ago, Willie said:

I suspect there is a danger of parts books favouring US cars due to the overwhelming number of LHDs to RHDs.

I think you answered your own question

I’d leave it on the left. I moved mine to that side so as to minimise confusion with the daily driver.  It’s easy enough to swing it over if you really want to. 

Thank you both for your input. I'm hoping someone knows what is correct! I like the car as standard, subject to minor changes, but would be most interested in the "correct" layout, having been informed by a knowledgeable-sounding individual that the left side is incorrect!!

Best wishes     Willie

When indicator stalks were first fitted to cars,  the UK always had them on the right hand side.  That meant you could indicate with one hand and simultaneously change gear with the other. European imports had the indicators on the left and this slowly became the norm presumably for ease of manufacture and export, to the detriment of driving convenience.

Thanks Rob.....however, I am interested in the answer to the specific question - ON WHICH SIDE OF THE STEERING COLUMN  WAS THE INDICATOR STALK FACTORY FITTED ON A TR4 WITHOUT OVERDRIVE!

Best wishes     Willie

Hi Roger, I'm still not getting the answer!!  Just looked at a shot I took at IWE in 2015 as I was negotiating the sprung spoke steering wheel seen above. That TR4 with spoked wheel [and o/d] has the indicator stalk on the left. I just want someone with the knowledge of the factory set up to tell me I'm right OR my acquaintance from the other day is right!  Lots of good and sensible points made, BUT NO ANSWER.  

Best wishes    Willie.  

Overdrive stalk for UK and all other right hand drive markets is on the right of the column with the indicator switch on the other side.

Stuart.

Just now, RogerH said:

Hi Willie,

my TR4 has the indicator stalk on the left and OD on the right - as per Stuarts post above.

My TR4A has the OD AND indicators on the right with the light stalk on the left.

Roger

Thats correct, when they changed the light switch to a column one when the 4a came out they moved the indicator switch to the other side of the column.

Stuart.

Very many thanks Gents - you never let me down!!  My acquaintance was in a 4A so that probably accounts for the difference!  

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO CONTRIBUTED.          Best wishes    Willie

Illustrations in the original owners handbook should be sufficient authority. On the TR4 the turn signal control is always inboard, so on the right hand side of the steering column cowl on a LHD car and the LHS of the cowl on a RHD car while the optional overdrive control is on the opposite side to the turn signal control.

For some reason the arrangement on the TR4A is totally different.  The turn signal control is on the LHS of the column cowl on a LHD car and the RHS of the cowl on a RHD car. The owners handbook for the 4A also states that when an overdrive is fitted the control is on the same side of the column cowl that houses the turn signal control.

Tim

But there seem something strange. Over the years I have always looked into LHD TR4s to see if it had an OD switch - by looking at the inboard side. Usually not, most American delivered cars I have seen are without OD. 

My car (LHD) has the turn control on the door side, the car my brother bought a year ago in Los Angeles has the same. There are lots of USA TR4s on Ebay and Hemmings, I had a look and they ALL have the turn indicator on the door side!

Curiously I looked in the handbook and yes - it "should" be on the other (inboard) side. But why have all these USA TR4s them on the other side? I understand they may not be original anymore, who knows what happened over the years etc., one or two might have switched position over the years but surely not all????

s-l1600.jpg  

s-l500.jpg 

66525178-770-0@2X.jpg

66302934-770-0@2X.jpg

64617736-770-0@2X.jpg