USA interstate transport and shipping to the UK

Hi

I'm new around here, and am looking to buy a non-runner project car in Arkansas, US and I'd naturally like to find the least expensive way to get it to the UK (Essex would be good).  Can anyone help with suggestions for across the States transport to a east coast shipping port and/or consolidators. 

Thanks Pete 

Edited by Bfg

Pete

Try this for the USA to USA port   https://www.uship.com/     - essentially logistics company will quote you but remember Uship are a 3rd party and you need to satisfy that you chosen logistics are OK - (normally via there feedback) 

When I imported my TR6 I used - 

http://www.kingstown-shipping.co.uk/  and can recommended them - personally I would contact the shippers first as they will advise you of which US port your chosen vehicle can be moved to and which UK port it can be brought into and what costs are involved - the 6 I imported was a non runner and this doesn't seem to effect the cost that much 

Another shipper based in the UK are -   https://www.autoshippers.co.uk/contact.htm but cannot speak for their service, however their website does give some idea of the costs involved  _ VAT rate NOVA etc 

My understanding is you cannot export from the US without a clear title for the vehicle - but check this with the shippers 

I imported a very cheap but incredibly solid and relatively ! rust free (but very tired) 6 from North Carolina     

Hope this helps 

Matt

now=1445811910589 (2).jpg

From Arkansas, I'd look at shipping out of New Jersey or New York.  Much less expensive going over to Europe.  As a bonus, either is closer to Arkansas, so shipping to the port will be less as well.

Check out Hemmings Motor News for transport companies.  They regularly advertise.

Edited by YankeeTR5

Thanks Matt, I'll follow up on those suggestions and see how thing pan out.  Much appreciate your advice too.  GLWT6 - looks tidy and a great colour too ;)   As I understand it - there's no import tax on your car, but there will be 5% VAT on the cost of the vehicle and its sea freight.

Thanks YankeeTR5 ,  Yes I'm sure sea freight from New Jersey would be less expensive.   And I apologize I meant from an East coast port not West coast ..duh !  (musta been blonde hair moment.  I've since corrected the O/P).   

From  Little Rock to the Red Hook terminal, New York is about 1,240 miles (almost 19 hours)  whereas it's 440 miles (7hrs) down to Port Huston, Tx.  I might guess the extra distance in sea freight would cost less than the extra distance in overland transport.  Perhaps someone might advise if this is the case ?  

And Thanks I'll also have a look at Hemmings to see what's available.  

I much appreciate your taking the time to reply gentlemen.  Any further &/or other's suggestion / contacts are most welcome here  ;)

Bfg.  

Edited by Bfg
2 hours ago, Bfg said:

Thanks Matt, I'll follow up on those suggestions and see how thing pan out.  Much appreciate your advice too.  GLWT6 - looks tidy and a great colour too ;)   As I understand it - there's no import tax on your car, but there will be 5% VAT on the cost of the vehicle and its sea freight.

Thanks YankeeTR5 ,  Yes I'm sure sea freight from New Jersey would be less expensive.   And I apologize I meant from an East coast port not West coast ..duh !  (musta been blonde hair moment.  I've since corrected the O/P).   

From  Little Rock to the Red Hook terminal, New York is about 1,240 miles (almost 19 hours)  whereas it's 440 miles (7hrs) down to Port Huston, Tx.  I might guess the extra distance in sea freight would cost less than the extra distance in overland transport.  Perhaps someone might advise if this is the case ?  

And Thanks I'll also have a look at Hemmings to see what's available.  

I much appreciate your taking the time to reply gentlemen.  Any further &/or other's suggestion / contacts are most welcome here  ;)

Bfg.  

Talk to the shippers quoted above first as the overland costs are still pretty high (IIRC a dollar a mile at least) so Texas maybe a better bet.Its always difficult due to the distances in the States to decide whether to go for a car you see thats located in the middle of the country and cheap as opposed to a more expensive one located relatively close to a port.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

That's good to know you had good service from Kingstown as well Graham 

I'm currently using Kingstown for the importation of the Bonneville I've bought on the basis of the good service they provided when importing my 6 - ask for Mark Cowley 

There are so many temptations on craigslist !!!

cheers

Matt

Pete, 

The dealer I purchased my import from last year arranged the shipping using Schumacher Cargo Logistics.  A USA company that ships to Felixstowe and usefully has an office in Felixstowe. Shipping from a number of USA ports. Check out their website and suggest you send them an email to get a firm cost from Arkansas. At least you will be dealing with only one company if you do it all through them. 

All went well and I would recommend them. Car arrived safely. Met delivery promise of 8 weeks. Dealer delivered to docks on New Jersey. Next day SCL USA then sent me a arrival inspection report and photos of its (poor) condition. 

Dock to Dock cost was 1,050 USD. Then £440 for uk handling paid to SCLUK.  They did all the customs stuff and I received NOVA within days of arrival. Note the 5% applies to all shipping costs, USA and uk. 

Any other info you want from my experience let me know.

All best with it. David B

I used Kingston Shippers, Hull. Cost £1,050 three years ago from Houston. Really good service. Even got a tracking app so I could see where the ship was.

• 4 weeks later...

Today, I'm back on this.. I really hate admin ..but its got to be done..

1.  Schumacher ; Ian Jeffreys <ian@scluk.org>           I first wrote on  4th April - no price.  And again two weeks later - no reply.  So again today : 25th May

2.  Sea Kargo                                                                                     I first wrote on 4th April  - no reply          So again today : 25th May

3.  Ross and Jennifer Lilleker - contact via Jim the transport      I first wrote on  5th May - no reply.   So a reminder today : 25th May

4.  STS   were very quick to reply with    £2,200 for sea-freight if I get the car overland to their depot in North Beach, Florida or (possibly) the same from Huston

Today,  Saturday, 25 May  I pulled my digit out and sent details and  requested a quote to the following :

5. Global Container Services Limited  - Chris

6. US-CustomerService@Cevalogistics.com -  My email bounced back saying emails for quotes will not be forwarded.  So I sent it to their UK office . .

7.  SH-NE-UK-info.uk@Cevalogistics.com

8.  info@kingstownshipping.co.uk  -

9.  rstrohecker@cfrrinkens.com          - recommended by Ken (TSSC)

I also filled in a quick 60-second Auto quote from

10. www.autocarshippers.com  - 60 second quote auto reply was ..they will contact me within 24 hrs. ! :D

I'll let you know how I get on.

NB. if you haven't seen I've written more  of this car on < That Was A Year That Was  >

Pete.

Edited by Bfg

Pete,

mm. bit of a problem your having. I used and suggested Schumacher Cargo Logidtics but my dealings with uk office (SCLUK) were all with Katie Hand and all went well. However they only got involved following arrival in uk.

Up to that point all dealings were with SCLUSA. My contact , and she always replied to my emails and provided good info, were with Jenny Kouyoumhian (jenny@sclusa.com). She was based in the Port Elizabeth office in New Jersey where my car was freighted from. 

try her.  David B

Thanks David B,   I do appreciate the contact.

I have used Schumacher a couple of times myself when I've brought British classic motorcycles back, and I've each time dealt directly with Ian Jefferies here in the UK.  It should not make any difference but you'd think my being a repeat customer would go a little way to getting even basic service.  And yes I did pay their bill immediately and without hassle.

Tbh.,  if I don't get some sense out of them from this reminder - then I'll simply not use the company again.  There's no point in getting things moving from the US  if  I'm stumped with their UK office.

Pete 

Edited by Bfg

Someone has also recommended Hillshipping, so I've sent them details.  

And...... 

I've got a sensible quote back from CFR Rinkens

$595.00: Trucking the vehicle from Little Rock, AR to our terminal in Houston, TX.  That's about 450 miles

plus

$1,225.00: Shipment from our terminal in Houston, TX to port Felixstowe, United Kingdom via shared container and our revolutionary steel loading system.  That's about 6100 nautical miles  (about 7000 miles). 

plus

optional insurance @ 2% of the replacement cost.

plus

" Payable to our Agent at the Destination:

Handling charges and port fees :  380£
Customs Clearance Included
Import taxes and duties:
       a. Anything less than 30 years old – 10% Import Duty – 20% VAT
       b. Anything over 30 years of age – If it meets the criteria can be imported under the historical rate of VAT at 5% and 0% duties

You receive 14 days of free storage at our terminal. After 14 days, you will be charged at a rate of $8.00 per day for storage."

So all in about £2000 which is what I had assumed when I bought the car.

I had given them overall dimensions and weight with the spare chassis mounted over the car, but their reply made no mention of it so for the time being I'll assume they just accepted my word that it will be securely bolted and so handled as a rolling steering car with a long roof rack. 

I can live with that, but of course I'll wait and see what other prices are and when they get around to replying.

Edited by Bfg

This week so far  :  Arkansas river through Little Rock has burst its banks and homes are in flood.  Another 4" of rain is forecast.  I think Raymond's home is safe at the moment but roads are being closed and of course preparation to get the TR ready for transport is of lowest priority. 

In the meantime business here as usual  ie.,  most companies haven't yet bothered to reply to my request for a quote : 

1.  Schumacher ; Ian Jeffreys <ian@scluk.org>      I first wrote on  4th April - no reply.  And again two weeks later - no reply.  So again today : 25th May       29th :  No Reply

2.  Sea Kargo                                                                I first wrote on 4th April  - no reply          So again today : 25th May        29th : £595 overland + £675 sea freight + £375 UK dock charges 

3.  Ross and Jennifer Lilleker - contact via Jim the transport      I first wrote on  5th May - no reply.   So a reminder today : 25th May                                              29th :  No Reply

4.  STS   very quick to reply with  :  £2,200 sea freight ..if I get the car overland to their depot in North Beach, Florida or (possibly) the same from Huston.  with no breakdown of costs

5. Global Container Services Limited          - Chris, recommended by an old friend from work.                                                                                                                              29th :  No Reply

6. US-CustomerService@Cevalogistics.com -  My email bounced back saying emails for quotes will not be forwarded.  So I sent it to their UK office .            29th :  No Reply    

7.  SH-NE-UK-info.uk@Cevalogistics.com                                                                                                                                              28th :  Business and volume only -  Not interested in one offs

8.  info@kingstownshipping.co.uk                                                                                                                                                            28th : £1000 overland  + £1800  sea freight and UK dock charges 

9.  rstrohecker@cfrrinkens.com          - recommended by Ken (TSSC)                                                                                        26th : £476 overland  + £980  sea freight + £380 UK dock charges.

10. www.autocarshippers.com  - 60 second quote.  Their auto reply was ..they will contact me within 24 hrs. !                                                                                         29th :  No Reply

These price (most likely) do not include insurance. On company says theirs is an option @ 2% of the replacement value.  They also don't include UK import VAT @5%  of the value.  There may or may be other costs - which may or may not become clearer when I ask for a definitive 'amount I need to pay'.  But at the moment it seems as if  Sea-Kargo are at the forefront with £1645,  which is almost £190 less than  CFR Rinkens  with £1836.

Just goes to show how it pays to shop around.  Of course this does not say which company provides a better service, only their response times and prices.

Bfg.

This is what I found. Sea Kargo did a first rate job. As I said before they arranged the collection from  Vaginia, customs clearance, escrow payment, tracking, images at the port, UK customs paperwork, 5% UK tax payment and delivery to my door. The only hiccup was Christmas and New Year in the middle of the UK landing process but Great service. Good communication and always someone there to talk to.  

BTW, get the transit insurance- containers drop of ships!

Being inexperienced in this game I had a few questions to  Jason Hemming at SeaKargo  re.  their quote . .

Hello Jason,

I just wanted to thank you and acknowledge receipt of your quote for transport & shipping of  "1x Triumph sports car with roof Rack ( Non Runner )"  from home to home Little Rock Arkansas to IP6 9JB.   Your quote is looking very competitive.

1.  Even though I have notebook and Microsoft Word, your booking form attached as a .docx  does not convert on my computer. Can it be sent as a Word.doc file or else in another format please. Attached as PDF

2.  Unfortunately the car will not be ready for collection for another eight weeks, not least due to torrential rains and the flooding around Little Rock at the moment. Is that  OK ? OK

3.  Insurance :   Am I correct in thinking the overland hauliers include insurance against any and all damages in their existing quotes ?  With the agent that we use for this routing you would need to take out marine insurance,  there marine insurance covers the vehicle from the door in the US to unloading of the container in the UK

4.  And so, the optional insurance is to cover damages or loss : in the container ports, your depots, and at sea. Can you give me an indication of the cost of such insurance.?

5.  An overview of what that cover includes, and does not include, would be helpful.  Please advise the value of the vehicle

6.  And a question for your HMRC liaison.  Although left hand drive, the car I'm buying was first registered in 1965 in Coventry. Registration number DWK 741C.  Subsequently (unknown when because the original owner is deceased and the car has had three subsequent owners) the car was shipped (exported) to New York.  Do I still have to pay the 5% VAT ?  YES you will have to pay the 5%

7.  And if is this 5% VAT  on the value of the car itself,  or the value of the car with overland transport,  dockyard handling & admin, and shipping costs ?

See example of how the taxes are calculated

• Vehicle Value =                 10,000 GBP
  • Freight (sea) =                         675 GBP
  • VAT Adjustment                     300 GBP      . . Anyone know what VAT adjustment is ?
  • Total                                      10,975 GBP
  • 5% VAT =                                  £ 548.75

8.  Will your agent require a Heritage Trust certification of the vehicle's factory dispatch place and date from me ? Our US agent will not need the heritage certificate,  however they will need the Title and bill of sale for the vehicle

9.  I presume Notice of Vehicle Arrival (NOVA) is still applicable to a UK registered car which was exported and is now returning. ?  YES

10.  Please advise what "Any customs inspections, either in origin, on route or at destination"  I might expect with your door to door service.  Customs could pull the container at any location along the way,  the charges will vary depending on what they are doing

11.  Please confirm there will be no Demurrage (Storage Charges) with your door to door service.  I cannot, if the container is pulled by customs then demurrage will apply  

12.  Are there any other costs I might incur ? if the title has the wrong vin for instance, a Title application would apply this can vary again

Thank you Jason for your kind assistance in these matter.

NB he replied within 2 hours of my asking these question.  Such prompt service is confidence inspiring. 

- - -

I wrote to thank him and found myself with a few more questions, which I've now asked him . .

" Thanks Jason for your prompt reply.  That is confidence inspiring. ;) 

The concerns / answers are now pretty clear (I hope),  but just a few more questions at this time.

1.   What is "VAT Adjustment " ?

2.   "Please advise the value of the vehicle"   I'll be paying $ xxxx  (approximately £ yyyy) for the vehicle including its roof-rack and loose bits boxed inside the car.  However finding another at this price might prove nigh on impossible (..its an abandoned project that came to light through correspondence in a forum rather than an advert),  so I'd most likely prefer to insure it for a sensible 'replacement value' at £ zzzz.   However I'm wary that the import VAT might be reflected in its insured rather than the actual price I pay.  Can you clarify which is the case.?   Thanks

3.   Are there  'Act of God' get out clauses (I have visions of storms at sea,  or a lightening strike to a steel container) that an insurance company might use to avoid paying out.?

4.   Is there an insurance excess with sea-freight insurances ?

I appreciate you help with these queries.  Good service Sir.     Peter  "

- - -

Edited by Bfg
  • 3 weeks later...

Update on my car. Unloaded in Milton Keynes today. Cf rinkens and shipmycar.co.uk between them did an excellent job.

even though my TOR was over 12 months old they managed to get it accepted so no duty it tax to pay !!!!

Edited by Kenj
spelling mistakes