Brake servo on TR4

I've recently fitted a Moss after market servo to my TR4. Emergency braking is very good but normal use is erratic, sometimes no effect and sometimes fierce and grabbing. The hydraulics were fitted professionally by a trusted local garage. Is this normal or do I have a fault? Can anyone help?

On the basis that all braking needs to be consistent in terms of response either with or without servo - I think you've answered your own question......

Which Brake Servo did you buy, the cheaper Powertune (made in China ?) or the identical looking Lockheed (supposedly ) version which is made in the UK.

I had exactly the same problem and changed for the Lockheed version which works perfectly.

Driving with the Powertune servo was a nightmare - it would stick and could only be released by stamping on the pedal several times. Quite dangerous.

The driving experience has been transformed (positively) since fitting the Lockheed servo.

Cost about double, but well worth getting it right.

Chris

1 hour ago, mikesloan said:

I've recently fitted a Moss after market servo to my TR4. Emergency braking is very good but normal use is erratic, sometimes no effect and sometimes fierce and grabbing. The hydraulics were fitted professionally by a trusted local garage. Is this normal or do I have a fault? Can anyone help?

Mike - if you still have the original, why not consider getting it rebuilt by Past Parts in Bury St Edmunds - give them a call to discuss

www.pastparts.co.uk/

Address:
Past Parts
Unit 4 Chase Road
Northern Way Industrial Estate
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
IP32 6NT

Telephone:
01284 750729

Cheers Rich 

No connection other than a satisfied customer

Edited by rcreweread
spelling

Had the one on the car fail some years ago when at Le Mans ( on the Mulsane ) as it happens, managed to bypass it to get home.

Bought a lockheed identical replacement from I think a Morris minor web site have had no problems with it at all,   thats that jinxed then! You will probably get some responses from people who don't think you need one but it is personal choice..

Phil..

Special Offer eh ??

I’d change it if you want peace of mind.

It might be worth making a complaint to Moss and see if they will credit you the cost of the Powertune servo if you buy a L9ckheed one from them. Even so, you will still be out of pocket having had to pay for a servo to be fitted twice - although swapping in the new one is easier given that the hydraulics ar3 already in place now.

Th3 other option is to try and service the existing unit and use dry lubricant (molybdenum disulphide ?) on the sticking air valve, which I have read elsewhere seems to alleviate the problem.

If you need any spares I have the discarded Powertune servo sitting around.

Chris