Engine removal

From what I'm reading it's easiest to remove the engine and gearbox together. Most of what I've read would suggest having the hoist at the front of the car, however I don't have the space to do this. I have a 2 ton hoist so have 1/2 ton available at maximum extension, I would like to put the hoist in from the near side, I also have a balancing bar so the angle isn't an issue hopefully, should a side entry work ok or am I missing something? I have a double garage so moving the hoist backwards into the other side isn't an issue.

Ian

Think it might be tricky. I don't have room to do it from the front. So I do it from the side, but engine only. Not too complex and you can do it without disturbing the interior. 

Tim

Ian,

Ideally you should jack up the rear of the car to give you a better angle. It's tight but doable as I have just done this. Obviously bonnet off. I think you must go backwards as it is quite awkward. If not, split the engine and box.

Colin

12 hours ago, Tim D. said:

Think it might be tricky. I don't have room to do it from the front. So I do it from the side, but engine only. Not too complex and you can do it without disturbing the interior. 

Tim

How do you move the ‘box backwards to clear the input shaft Tim or is this just not an issue?

There is enough room to lift the engine enough to clear the front cross member so you can manoeuvre it forwards to free it from the shaft. I support the gearbox on a trolley jack while doing this to prevent too much strain on the shaft. 

Tim

If you need to lift the engine from the front, why not just roll the car half way out of the garage when you're ready to lift, then when you have the engine/tranny out, roll the hoist off to one side and push the now-engine-less car back into place. The only thing to watch for is the front end of the prop shaft drooping. Am I missing something?

5 hours ago, Litespud said:

If you need to lift the engine from the front, why not just roll the car half way out of the garage when you're ready to lift, then when you have the engine/tranny out, roll the hoist off to one side and push the now-engine-less car back into place. The only thing to watch for is the front end of the prop shaft drooping. Am I missing something?

Difficult if you have a gravel drive.

Stuart.

I have just done this, the difficult part is getting to the bolts around the bell housing with out taking the tunnel out,  i supported the gearbox on a trolley jack , removed the engine mounts and lowered the engine to allow access to the bolts. the engine then came out quite easily , Same procedure when refitting.

I have most of the bolts around the bell housing removed, including the starter motor top bolt, just the ones at the bottom to do. If I were to roll the car back I wouldn't have any support for the gearbox when I pushed the car back into the garage, I'm going to have to take the engine out over the wing. Given that the head is off, my balancing bar will be quite close to the top of the block, hopefully I should have enough clearance, it it becomes an issue I can always take the sump off. I have an assistant coming at 8am tomorrow, hopefully it shouldn't take long.

Engine removed over N/S wing this morning without any drama, thanks for all the assistance.