Smiths Heater motor.

Can anyone advise where to get the 3 mounting bolts and rubbers to fit motor to the top plate. These do not seem to be listed in Moss catalogue.

many thanks.

Got it fixed and it is almost silent if next to a bulldozer.

Rod

Last time I did this job I made my own out of rubber tubing.  Cut it a bit long and it 'mushrooms' out to form an isolated mounting.   3/16 bore if I recall as I think the bolts are maybe 2BA or 10-32 UNF or 3/16 BSF

Is the motor quiet running with its fan out of the matrix casing when held in the correct orientation as if fitted? Is the fan clouting the casing?

Cheers

Peter W

This motor?.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/233047135245?ul_noapp=true

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Rich,

Thats the very item, thanks.

Rod.

Peter W.

That's the motor I am using but with grub screw fitting blade rather than the original with the collet lock which is too long.

Under normal circumstances this fan is worse than useless. I cleaned the motor bearings with electrical cleaner and then I used Teflon grease and ran it without any load in all orientations and flushed it again to get rid of years of black crud now liquidised. I then fitted the fan blades and it will now shut a door the other side of the room there is so much air through put.

I installed it into the casing using the shorter version fan for the Moss Clayton matrix and the flow is reduced back to slightly more than Grandmas breath. The bottom section seems to block the flow the closer it gets to the final position. I tried holding it away and bringing closer to see the effect on the flow dangerous for the fingertips but no pain no gain.

Anyone with knowledge of blade pitch and it's likely effect would they please advise. If I deepen the pitch the worse the flow gets which is against what I thought I knew! Any thoughts as to how to get the flow rate up would be welcomed. I was thinking of fitting a Turbo driven from the exhaust but the fumes might kipper me.

Rgds

Rod

Edited by Rodbr

Is the motor voltage polarity sensitive?  In which case is it possible to be wired so it is sucking not blowing?

I have had both collet and grub screw type fans with matching motors.

The original fan pitch is quite coarse, I would imagine because the motor was quite slow.  The best improvement I ever did was fit a faster motor from some other vehicle.  Lots of faffing for only a small gain.

The modern heater as suggested by Stuart is by far the better way to go.

Peter W