Bottom end rebuild required

My engine came from a fire damaged car, I have no other details apart from knowing that it hadn't done many miles prior to the fire, I suspect it was 2-3 years ago. When the engine was checked over prior to installation, the garage found corrosion on the cam between pistons 5&6, they cleaned it up and reinstalled, the head wasn't pulled at this time. I have put around 3k miles on the car, I have had a number of issues with it and it has never really run properly, I was told by the garage that installed the engine that something was awry with a couple of the valves and I decided to fit a reconditioned head and a new cam. To cut a long story short, two of the new followers are stuck in their bores. I have found pieces of corrosion debris in the follower bores and have now decided to pull the block and have it stripped, cleaned and inspected, I can then decide what to do with it.

Ian

Thanks Tom, the place I'm going to speak with does glass bead blasting I think, their work certainly looks good. 

Ian

Hi Ian,

never grit blast an engine block, never. The stuff gets everywhere, it gets in very easy, but taking everything out is practically impossible. When the particles start circulating, all your good work is destroyed.

Do as Tom recommends.

Discuss prior to the job how the waterways will be cleaned; if it removes the deposits in there. If not, give it a separate clean before the chemical cleaning. Leave the core plugs in if this is the case, so the waterside can be topped up with phosphoric acid or similar. I used a 30% solution, but take the necessary safety precautions if you do this yourselves.

And remove all plugs from the block prior to cleaning, both from the waterside (core plugs) and the oil side before the chemical cleaning.

Waldi