Screen frame repaint

Lovely morning, to mess about with a TR windscreen !

i undid all the bolts highlighted by Stuart, the footwell ones are a little tricky buy not too bad.

firmly but gently levered the screen corner forward, and propped in place with ‘special tool’

retightened all bolts and removed ‘special tool’

gap is improved a bit but the screen did return somewhat.

glued in the Large size rubbers

pleased with the result !

just need to mastic and rivet the capping on and jobs a goodun :-)

steve

C6EFC84F-9A6D-43B9-ADA2-0EF543AFF109.jpeg

Edited by Steves_TR6
3 hours ago, Andrew Smith said:

I don't visit here as often nowadays and have just seen this thread Steve hence my, now, nugatory comment on FB :rolleyes: - nice job!

Cheers, Andrew 

Thanks Andrew

i’ve just fitted new ss wipers to complete the job, not original obviously but then not much is on my car :-)

steve

Hi - having read this post and checked my side window gaps I need to adjust the glass (top 1/2” closer to frame than bottom) to get it parallel with windscreen frame. Referring to Stuart’s advice can you confirm that the glass slope can adjusted via the winder mechanismbolts, or do the channels need adjusting also?  Many thanks for your advice.

Colin W

Hi Colin

i did not have much success with adjusting the window angle via the mechanism.

mine seem to be at the extreme of adjustment already, so you may be lucky.

just loosen the 7 (4 and 3) bolts and the window can be wiggled to and fro.

for me, adjusting the windscreen frame was more productive, although much of the adjustment dis disappear when i tightened up the fixings

hth

steve

Thanks For your reply Steve. Still contemplating the hassle of removing the door trim panels! I can’t tilt the top of the windscreen further forward as the hood latches barely reach their sockets as it is. As the door glass still seals effectively against the  fur flex seal I may live with it as is.

cheers Colin

In extremis you can slot the holes for the winder mechanism a bit more also the holes for the screen frame bracket as well.in addition the window slides can be shimmed with washers to alter the angles, Last resort is a small wedge under one end of the glass in its carrier channel but make sure the glass is still well gripped in the channel it does sometimes take a lot of time to achieve a good fit but it is possible.

Stuart.

Good luck Colin

let us know how you get on as i’m not 100% happy with the result i got.

steve

• 1 month later...

I've repainted my frame...well in fact it had been left in body colour by previous owner(s), and no its not a '69 model year. 

But I also need to adjust my drivers side window gap, closer at the top. 

I'm going to try the regulator adjustment, but a while ago I tried to locate the bolts holding the screen pillar, but I couldn't make them out, any clues how to find them? 

Gareth

Edited by Mk2 Chopper
12 hours ago, Richard71 said:

There's mention in this topic of two different sizes of window to "A" post seal from Woolies.

Could anyone post a link to these seals please...….I took my car out in the rain earlier and it's high time I got these fitted.

Richard.

The window to "A" post seal is a Moss part. Number 24 on here https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr5-6/body-chassis/windscreens-glazing-fittings/windscreen-interior-mirror-sun-visors-tr5-6.html

Stuart.

32 minutes ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

I've repainted my frame...well in fact it had been left in body colour by previous owner(s), and no its not a '69 model year. 

But I also need to adjust my drivers side window gap, closer at the top. 

I'm going to try the regulator adjustment, but a while ago I tried to locate the bolts holding the screen pillar, but I couldn't make them out, any clues how to find them? 

Gareth

See link on previous answer for bolt location.

Stuart.

38 minutes ago, stuart said:

See link on previous answer for bolt location.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, I don't remember seeing anything like that under there, so I'll have to take another look, I'm guessing I'll need to remove the fresh air pipes to gain some access? 

Gareth

21 minutes ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

Thanks Stuart, I don't remember seeing anything like that under there, so I'll have to take another look, I'm guessing I'll need to remove the fresh air pipes to gain some access? 

Gareth

The brackets are behind and slightly below them, it depends on how dextrous your hands are. The other two bolts are at the top of the "A" post in the door shut at the back of the wing.

Stuart.

Thanks again Stuart, that gives me somewhere to gave a closer look, particularly the a post ones.

Gareth

The bolts are pretty easy to find..... once you’re upside down in the footwell !

43 minutes ago, Steves_TR6 said:

The bolts are pretty easy to find..... once you’re upside down in the footwell !

So that's where I've been going wrong! :lol:

21 hours ago, stuart said:

Thanks Stuart,

I bought a complete body seal kit from The Roadster Factory some years ago, there were some left over after the car was in the bodyshop for re-spray and I've found what must be the seals  we're referring to (see pic). The car is away for MOT at the moment, will check fitment when I get it back tomorrow.

Richard.

P.S.

I'm assuming I'll have to remove the windscreen capping & door seal to fit this properly, correct?

20190614_060803.jpg

Edited by Richard71
2 hours ago, Richard71 said:

Thanks Stuart,

I bought a complete body seal kit from The Roadster Factory some years ago, there were some left over after the car was in the bodyshop for re-spray and I've found what must be the seals  we're referring to (see pic). The car is away for MOT at the moment, will check fitment when I get it back tomorrow.

Richard.

P.S.

I'm assuming I'll have to remove the windscreen capping & door seal to fit this properly, correct?

20190614_060803.jpg

Only the door seal needs removing up the side of the frame as the "P" seal just butts up to the capping.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart