Personalised Number Plate

I think it's £80 and that covers the so-called assignment fee to put the number on a vehicle in the future.  The retention document I have is valid for 10 years.

The annual retention fee has been waived now

Renew or replace your private number

You must renew your right to use your private (personalised) number every 10 years if it’s not being used on a vehicle. If you got your private number before 2015, you must renew it more often - check your V750 or V778 document.

Renew your V750 certificate of entitlement or V778 retention document

You’ll get a reminder letter or email if you’re not using a private number and your right to use it is about to run out.

You can renew it for up to 10 years, and it does not cost anything to do.

I was confused. The £80 applies to take a private number off a car and put it on retention.   Interestingly I got my retained number well before 2015 and it’s on 10 year retention. 

1 hour ago, MikeThomas said:

Hi Tom

Trust it's not PEN 15

Sorry, feeling in a mischievous mood this weekend! :lol:

Best wishes

Mike

No its........

F 1 RES

:ph34r:

If you use a 'modern' not age related number plate on a 1950's car do you have to have all the modern enhancements on your car like reflective number plates, orange indicators, hazard flashers and seat belts?  Or is that an urban myth?

Peter W

Unless the law has changed very recently, You can’t put a number plate on a vehicle which makes the vehicle look younger than it actually is. Therefore any jan ‘63 or younger plate must be the same year as, or older than, the vehicle on which it is used.

pre ‘63 dateless plates can be used on anything (as long as it is transferable) - so putting a more modern plate on a 50’s car is a non-starter.

..... Andy 

37 minutes ago, AndyR100 said:

Unless the law has changed very recently, You can’t put a number plate on a vehicle which makes the vehicle look younger than it actually is. Therefore any jan ‘63 or younger plate must be the same year as, or older than, the vehicle on which it is used.

pre ‘63 dateless plates can be used on anything (as long as it is transferable) - so putting a more modern plate on a 50’s car is a non-starter.

..... Andy 

Thank you for that

Peter W

31 minutes ago, peejay4A said:

Out of interest, what determines whether a number is transferable or not?  

DVLA 

typically one that has been issued as an age related plate cannot be transferred  eg issued on import.

in the past 15 or 20 years you could move a reg from a motorbike to car and visa versa

i got one years ago when I gave up smoking. It’s been on a few cars and bikes since. Currently makes my daily driver undated unless you are familiar with Audi version changes. 

Each time the out going vehicle gets its original ref back  

just tell your insurers you want to keep it in the event of a total loss.

Edited by Hamish
Sp
On 4/27/2019 at 9:50 AM, MikeThomas said:

Trust it's not PEN 15

So, who was the motorbiker who allegedly had that plate in the 70's I think? Not Barry Sheene, another famous racer, but I can't remember his name. And perhaps his ownership of the plate was a myth anyway. Just a vague memory from the mists of time which fluttered into my excuse for a brain the other day.

Cheers, Richard

Richard

i found this on line and fits with bike racer theme. 

PEN 15

Well remembered. 

H

872D2D4A-5914-4A96-BBB9-FA38FF70D3DA.jpeg