4a lubrication

Doing my car lubrication this morning,   the manual shows 5 (5!)  lube nipples on each front wheel assembly, whilst mine only has 2.  So I did those - one the top ball joint, the other being the trunnion.    So where have the other 3 gone?  Is this normal?  The manual shows one at the end of each steering tie rod - mine has none and no holes for nipples either,  and the other two seem to be shown at the bottom of the trunnion - mine has none.   I'm guessing this is due to later upgrades or changes and nothing I should worry about. Is it?

Cheers

Dave

==

O.E. track rod ends had grease nipples, replacement ones none, also grease nipple in steering rack.

Harvey S. Maitland

• 4 weeks later...

And now to the rear hub.   mine is a 4A IRS with shock conversion.     There are some uj yoke couplings with lube nipples,   one of which is inside the aluminium casing fixed to the rear of the hub, which cannot be reached by human-kind, although I can see it.   Any bright ideas on how to get to it? Is there any other rear hub lube nipple? I can't see one.

Cheers

Dave

====

Hi Dave,

there is only the nipple on the UJ inside thew trailing arm  casting.

If you need to grease it then the usual method is to dismantle the drive shaft / rear brake  - not a great deal of work but little return.

It should be possible to drill a hole into the T/A casting in line with the UJ Nipple.. But where to put the hole.

Roger 

Thank you Roger.

Oddly enough the nearside nipple is accessible, but the offside never comes into range.

I did think about drilling a hole, but was a bit worried about weakening the casting. 

Anyway I'm guessing your past experience is telling me this will be an ok thing to do. I'll see if I can find the right spot to drill an appropriate hole.

Cheers

Dave

====

I drilled a 20mm hole in the very centre of the very bottom of the casting.  It allowed my flexi tube grease gun to make contact with the nipple and all is well. Now to see if it cracks!

Thanks;

Dave

====