Still Hoping......No More

Hello all.

I have been on the forum since the summer of 2017, even though I did not, or never had owned a Triumph.  I have followed the posts in all the Triumph sections with the intent of learning all I could about the cars.  Under cars owned, I listed "still hoping"

I have learned so much from all the incredible people on this site, other sites, and on YouTube that have been created by people who are willing to share their knowledge and experiences.

With the help of all of you collectively, I have purchased my first TR.  

I have purchased a 1976 TR6.  I was looking for a running, driving TR, Not a project.  I followed the advice of "buying the best car you can afford".

The car I purchased is Comm# CF58281UO, built July 1976. One of the last 50 built.  Last day of production maybe?  It would be nice to know.

The car has 46,500 original miles on it, I am the 4th owner, and I am aware of the cars complete ownership history.  The car was refreshed in 2013 from a rust free, damage free condition.  The drivetrain was rebuilt at this time.  The car has travelled approximately 1,000 miles since the refresh.

I have run the car 3 times since purchasing it on Thursday, and absolutely love it.  I am pleased that I will be the  caretaker of this TR, hopefully for many, many years to come.

So, once again, thank you all so much for your participation in this purchase.  I will return your generosity by being as generous to others as I can, as I continue to acquire knowledge myself.

Graham

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Graham J
New pictures added

That looks very nice, I bet you are proud of it and righty so. Let’s have some pictures engine bay and interior. Happy driving

Paul

Congratulations Graham,

I think several of us became hooked as a result of the good information and atmosphere on this forum (I did).

Enjoy your TR:)

Waldi

Great looking car, yes this forum is great and helped me a lot with a restoration.

Enjoy the TR

Dave

Hi Graham, great car and obviously one of the best colours :D, all you need to do is enjoy it as much as possible, oh and drive it like you stole it. (Safely of course;))

Lovely car, same colour as mine. My wife and I are travelling through Ontario in June, driving from Vancouver to Toronto where one of our sons live. I am keen to experience the performance of the north American cars. Maybe we could catch up. Where are you located?

Graham

My guesstimate is that your car was built on Monday July 12th or Tuesday July 13th 1976.

My US spec car was built on March 6th 1976, a Saturday, which suggests a 7 day working week and it was the 4226th last car! I doubt if the production line stopped for bank holidays so there are approximately 130 productive days between the March 6th and July 14th the last day of manufacture. The average output therefore was 32 cars per day in the last four months of production.

The last car off the line was 58328 and since your car was 47th from last it suggests it was made a day and a half before the line closed on Wednesday July 14th if output rates continued at the same 32 cars per day to the very end.

An easier way to be sure is to contact The British Motor Museum at Gaydon, Warwickshire and purchase a Heritage Certificate for your car which will list details such as build and despatch dates, engine and body numbers, colour scheme, and details of factory fitted equipment.

https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk

e: enquiries@britishmotormuseum.co.uk

Martin

Very nice looking TR6 Graham and with overdrive which is unusual for north American cars. Just in time for the 2019 driving season too. I've had my TR6 for over 30 years and I still get a big grin when I drive it which is most days in the summer.

Stan

Graham, 

As I noted earlier above your TR6 was indeed built on the last day of production. The production records at the BMIHT show that CF58279U to CF58328U inclusive were recorded as built on the 14th July 1976 so yours was one of the first off the line that day.

cheers

Derek. 

38 minutes ago, saffrontr said:

built on the 14th July 1976 so yours was one of the first off the line that day

I remember that date,the day after my 20th birthday,what a hangover, although the weather was great.

Congratulations on the new car,looks great

Cameron

22 hours ago, Jim F said:

Graham, congratulations and the 6 looks great.    I'm sure someone in the forum will be able to tell you the day the car left the production line and how close to the final production date.

Jim

Thank you Jim

17 hours ago, saffrontr said:

Hi Graham,

Great find and congratulations on your purchase, your TR6 was indeed built on the last day of production the 14th July 1976.

Cheers

Derek

Derek, thank you for the production information, that is great news to me.

Graham

18 hours ago, Paul Hill said:

That looks very nice, I bet you are proud of it and righty so. Let’s have some pictures engine bay and interior. Happy driving

Paul

Paul,

additional pictures added.  Not cleaned up yet though.

Graham

16 hours ago, John McCormack said:

Lovely car, same colour as mine. My wife and I are travelling through Ontario in June, driving from Vancouver to Toronto where one of our sons live. I am keen to experience the performance of the north American cars. Maybe we could catch up. Where are you located?

Hello John,

i am about 45 minutes west fo Toronto.  I would love to meet up if possible.  I do not belong to any clubs yet, but the Toronto Triumph Club seems to be the large local one.  Google it, see what events are happening while you are in the area.  Post a topic, I am sure you will get a lot of positive responses from those a lot more knowledgable than I am.

Graham

14 hours ago, BritishRacingGreen said:

Graham

My guesstimate is that your car was built on Monday July 12th or Tuesday July 13th 1976.

My US spec car was built on March 6th 1976, a Saturday, which suggests a 7 day working week and it was the 4226th last car! I doubt if the production line stopped for bank holidays so there are approximately 130 productive days between the March 6th and July 14th the last day of manufacture. The average output therefore was 32 cars per day in the last four months of production.

The last car off the line was 58328 and since your car was 47th from last it suggests it was made a day and a half before the line closed on Wednesday July 14th if output rates continued at the same 32 cars per day to the very end.

An easier way to be sure is to contact The British Motor Museum at Gaydon, Warwickshire and purchase a Heritage Certificate for your car which will list details such as build and despatch dates, engine and body numbers, colour scheme, and details of factory fitted equipment.

https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk

e: enquiries@britishmotormuseum.co.uk

Martin

Martin,

thank you for your estimate.  I will definitely get a certificate shortly.

Graham

Thank you all for your kind comments.

New pictures added.

Graham

Edited by Graham J

Magnifique! Your '6 came off the line on Bastille Day - it's is crying out for a French name (if that's not a contentious issue in Canada :unsure:). FWIW, my kids christened my '72 "Nigel", because it was the most English name they could think of

Edited by Litespud

Graham

Yours is one of the last TR6s made on the last day of production.

FYI I came across this recent article in UK Classic Car Weekly about the oldest surviving TR6 up for sale.

Number 15 off the line, made on the the first day of production, 19 September 1968.

The UK owner imported it from Canada.

Martin

Oldest TR6.pdf