Gearbox/overdrive oil change

I am about to change the gearbox/overdrive oil & cannot remember from last time what the arrangement of the o/d oil filter is when the large brass nut is undone with the special spanner. Do the filter & magnets just drop out when the nut is released or are they attached inside? Obviously one has to be careful not to lose any items when the oil flushes out! 

In my A type the brass gauze filter just sits on a shallow peg on the big brass plug. 

I had 3 magnetic rings that sat on the plug recess with the gauze above 

8EEC4A2E-EFB0-49CE-B1D6-C23CBA276BE4.jpeg

88404BCC-F8D5-4BD5-885E-F9E7087CFD97.jpeg

7C909290-E14D-41CB-AB44-B58A25C1976C.jpeg

Many thanks Hamish, just what I needed to know. Did you need to top up the oil in the gearbox a while later after giving time for it to circulate to the O/D?

Hamish,

Interestingly the workshop manual & Triumph parts manual both show the magnets above the gauze filter (in fact they both call the magnets a seal!) but the Moss & Rimmer catalogues both show the magnets underneath the gauze like you describe.

33 minutes ago, monty said:

Many thanks Hamish, just what I needed to know. Did you need to top up the oil in the gearbox a while later after giving time for it to circulate to the O/D?

Always top up after a run that you have used the overdrive several times on.

Stuart.

28 minutes ago, monty said:

Yes

i kept going back to it every 30 mins or so to let it level off. 

Each time putting the fill plug back in. 

Until oil comes out of the full plug after going back to it. 

I also had the car as level as I could on 4 axle stands. 

I seem to recall it takes just under 2 litres (?)

i also operated the box and od in second whilst on the axles stands. But that just me taking my own risks based on a very stable raised  car. Others  I know will have their own thoughts on this and rightly so.

H

3 hours ago, stuart said:

Always top up after a run that you have used the overdrive several times on.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, will do. With reference to my observations mentioned, why does the workshop manual show the items in a different order to the Moss/Rimmer brochures?

All very interesting! Hamish's photos clearly show the 3 magnets as indicated in the 2nd edition of the TR4A spare parts catalogue & the Moss/Rimmer brochures. It is just the orientation that varies. Maybe it does not matter if the magnets are above the filter or between the drain plug & filter! Will see on mine when it is drained on Friday. Roger may be correct but cannot see why a seal would be needed between the oil pump body & gauze filter as shown in the workshop manual. Another TR anomaly!

I drained my GB over the winter.  The arrangement of my 3 magnets and filter is the same as Hamish's photos.  I guess the magnets are below to grab hold of any fine particles that make it through the filter.  While the GB drain plug was out I took the opportunity to replace it with a magnetic one (I also use the same for my engine sump plug).

https://ebay.us/pYRkfD

Steve

Edited by Steve Priest
2 hours ago, Steve Priest said:

I drained my GB over the winter.  The arrangement of my 3 magnets and filter is the same as Hamish's photos.  I guess the magnets are below to grab hold of any fine particles that make it through the filter.  While the GB drain plug was out I took the opportunity to replace it with a magnetic one (I also use the same for my engine sump plug).

https://ebay.us/pYRkfD

Steve

Good idea Steve!

Magnetic drain plug in the rear axle (TR2-TR4) is also a good idea.

Triumph sealed for death the diff. on TR4A onwards - another cost-saving in production?  Not fitting a fuel tap in the TR4 was another "improvement".

Ian Cornish

The three magnetic washers in my o/d drain plug were, on acquisition of the car in 9/70 as per Hamish and Steve, under the filter. This is also how they were fitted when the o/d was overhauled by ORS last year so I am sure it is correct!

Tim

1 hour ago, tim hunt said:

The three magnetic washers in my o/d drain plug were, on acquisition of the car in 9/70 as per Hamish and Steve, under the filter. This is also how they were fitted when the o/d was overhauled by ORS last year so I am sure it is correct!

Tim

It is correct Tim. To be sure I contacted ORS & they confirmed the workshop manual is incorrect along with the Triumph parts catalogue!

The flow I guess is from the outside of the brass mesh cup thus the magnets hold the debris settlement. 

This is what I found. No big chunky bits. But the box and od was rebuilt and has so far survived Curborough sprint 

8AE1D7FC-38B7-42A8-9229-D839D26085F1.jpeg

Was that all metal Hamish? - or is that excess silicon sealer from the rebuild that's found its way to the sump section on the O/D - it has a slightly translucent appearance

3 hours ago, Chilliman said:

Was that all metal Hamish? - or is that excess silicon sealer from the rebuild that's found its way to the sump section on the O/D - it has a slightly translucent appearance

Good observations - Virtually all of it was silicon - very thin.