Our Forum - the Way Forward.

Our forum - the way forward.

Many of you will know, that a team was set up to look at all aspects of our forum, including the rules as proposed and accepted at the AGM, in November. Following lots of feedback from forum users here and other members via TR Action, a set of recommendations was put to the MT in early March. Even before this, one excellent development was the appointment of a dedicated MT member with special responsibilities for our forum, Namely Mick Forey.

Following the submitted recommendations, Mick Forey, and Wayne met with Brian and John for a very long, extremely fruitful face to face meeting, where every aspect of the recommendations was discussed and explained in detail. Mick and Wayne then took the full recommendations to the MT meeting, on Saturday April 6th.

The MT voted unanimously to accept the recommended changes to the forum and the forum rules.

It was clear from the feedback received, that many forum users, both internationally  as well those in the UK who do not attend a local group, regard the TR Register Forum as, 'Their Group' and asked why it could not be recognised as such? We did look at this, but soon realised that to designate the forum, as another group, was too narrow, in fact what the forum has become is a;- TR Register World Wide Community.

We wished to acknowledge this, and treat our forum accordingly, so we can announce the following;- The forum will have its own coordinators to ensure the smooth, continued growth of this community, namely

A Forum Community Coordinator (FCC) A deputy Forum Community Coordinator (DFCC) and A Forum Technical Coordinator (FTC) These group of, 'Go To' folk

for anything to do with our forum will have a direct line to our dedicated MT forum Rep. Mick Forey. We all see this as a great step forward in ensuring  smooth running and growth of the forum. One of the roles of the FCC, will be to write a regular column for TR Action, entitled Forum Focus, detailing the help and advice our forum has provided in recent weeks, and pointing at specific posts of interest. The First Edition of Forum Focus will appear in TR Action 313. We hope this will convince more members to take a look at the forum and see what a friendly and helpful place it is. The main role of the TFC is to resolve questions about the functionality and administration of the forum itself. This will relieve Wayne of  a large workload and should provide a faster response to forum technical issues.

As an interim measure, and to ensure the smooth adoption of this new way to see our forum, John Morrison has agreed to  take the role of FCC, Stan Foster has agreed to take the role of DFCC, and Tim Burgess the role of FTC. As stated these are interim appointments and it is intended to hold elections, via a forum poll, for  all the Coordinators posts in due course, we do feel that Stan and Tims acceptance of the relevant roles really enhances the international feel of our forum, long may this continue!

Of equal significance are the other changes that have been made in accordance with the feedback received from fellow forumites;-

Three sections, namely;- TR Competition, Rallying and Car Preparation will be amalgamated into one section.

A new section will be incorporated into our forum, entitled, 'Out and About' it will be open to members and non-members alike. This follows the feedback that apart from the technical forum there was nowhere to showcase what members get up to with their TR's and to encourage members and non-members to join like-minded people in doing what this club is about; Getting Out and About in their TR's. So if you have been somewhere or plan to go somewhere then let people know. It's the ideal place to arrange a meet up at short notice and  then let others know what they missed. 'Alec's inn', will remain in the members only section and will be

for discussions on a wide range of subjects of interest to members.

Wayne is looking into changing the forum registration process. In the short term making the registration more user friendly and less intimidating, In the longer term only having a single log-in to the forum and the website members only sections. Having duel log-in has caused a lot of frustration, particularly for newer members.

Our forum rules, have been re-visited and amended to better suit our forum, these amendments in detail will be posted under separate title in due course.

All these changes have been agreed and will be instigated forthwith, you will also understand that with the now established lines of communication between,  forum coordinators and the MT. it should be possible to ensure rapid attention to any particular issue, and to effect further change in a simplified way.

We feel that these changes are tremendous improvements to our forum, simply put they make it better, and by definition that makes the TR Register better.

Finally, we would all wish to acknowledge the help and support of both Mick Forey and Wayne, without this we would not have been able to make the progress we show here.

Now it is up to us all, to spread the word and make the forum even more welcoming to all TR enthusiasts wherever they are in the world.

Stan Foster, Tim burgess, Brian Ranshaw and John Morrison.

forum post version five.doc forum post version five.doc

Well done and thank you all who have put your time forward for the benefit of the forum and the rest of us. 

H

Hi FCC John,

Thanks for the update and reaching some understanding with the "MT", whatever that is.

As the forum never sleeps I suggest you ensure your moderators cover all major timezones rather than focusing on geography,

dave

Great Stuff John and Co. Straight Talking and easy to understand goes a long way   !

Hopefully  we will see the return of members, that didn't like the previous set up.

Onwards and upwards, 

Conrad.

Good work John, Brian and team and many thanks for the effort put in to this task.

Looking forward to seeing the new forum rules and what has changed regarding the clauses which caused so many resignations.

Are you able to give any preview of the changes or when will they be published?

Thanks again,

Sean

Sean,

the ammended rules are all agreed, hopefully, they better suit our forum, for that was the intention.

Wayne has to practically change the forum wording etc, very likely this week, although sign-in is already a much nicer experience.

If you had a specific question, then I do not see any problem with finding an answer.

John.

Progress has it seems been made, which I doubted could be achieved. Out and about, could be another room in Alecs Inn, the Vault, or the cocktail bar, depending on your position in life that your Mrs allows.

I have certainly missed the pals I had on the TR Forum, the new rules and the efforts of those who have achieved the changes so far, have amazed me.

They deserve the thanks of more folk than me. Something to really look forward to.

Edited by pfenlon
5 hours ago, John Morrison said:

Sean,

the ammended rules are all agreed, hopefully, they better suit our forum, for that was the intention.

Wayne has to practically change the forum wording etc, very likely this week, although sign-in is already a much nicer experience.

If you had a specific question, then I do not see any problem with finding an answer.

John.

Thanks for the response John,

It was really about whether the oppressive restrictions in the old (new) rules which caused many to refuse to sign up have been removed/modified in a way that might be acceptable.

Cheers,

Sean

Really, really good news, many thanks to John and his team, who have listened and worked to make this a better place

I would echo Seans comment regarding the sign in rules, as it was these that prevented a lot of old hands from staying.

On the positive side, the above is the only potential stumbling block to seeing at least some of the old hands back with us

John

John

You have a PM

John

As you can all see, the Forum's Rules / Terms and Conditions have now been updated to reflect the agreed changes mentioned by John, above.  Hopefully these reflect both the wishes of the Forum users and the needs of the Register in terms of responsible Forum use and protection of the club.  I also hope that these help support a vibrant and diverse Forum community in both unrivaled technical support and social interaction.

If anyone has any specific questions on these updated rules, please feel free to post here or contact Mick Forey, John Morrison, Brian (brian -r), Stan (foster461) or myself.

Happy Forum-ing, everyone!

Tim

Not too bothered about the General topic part moving to be below the model specific groups, but, I do not normaly read the TR5 onwards sections, but do read the General, TR2-3, & TR4 sections.  Having read all those areas, & return to "home" The "TR Tecnical" group is still highlighted, suggesting I have missed reading something.

Of course it is indicating that I have not read the later car sections, but to check that I have to go in again.  

Also I get an error message when I reach the last topic, & click on "GO TO TOPIC LISTING"   -  strangly I cant find how I got that now !

Bob

Edited by Lebro

I'm not impressed with the new layout.  I preferred it the way it was with the General technical as a heading on its own followed by TR3, TR4 and etc.

There is also no 'non-technical area' for non members to contribute to - or am I missing something?

Rgds Ian

3 minutes ago, Ian Vincent said:

I'm not impressed with the new layout.  I preferred it the way it was with the General technical as a heading on its own followed by TR3, TR4 and etc.

+1.

Pete

1 hour ago, Ian Vincent said:

There is also no 'non-technical area' for non members to contribute to - or am I missing something?

Rgds Ian

Hi Ian,

We may not be talking about the same thing, but I'd say that there are TWO non-technical areas:  Alec's Inn for TRR members to discuss club matters and the new TRs Out and About for all Forum users (i.e. it's open to non-members).

Plus there is still the Motorsport section for racing/rallying; Concours for, well, concours; Swap Shop (members only); Epic Drives... most of which are not members only (unless I'm wrong - please let me know if I am).

Let us know if what you're looking for not catered for above.

Thanks,

Tim

All works fine from my perspective.... I just use the ‘unread content’ link, no concerns regarding the layout/categorisation.

........ Andy 

1 hour ago, TorontoTim said:

Hi Ian,

We may not be talking about the same thing, but I'd say that there are TWO non-technical areas:  Alec's Inn for TRR members to discuss club matters and the new TRs Out and About for all Forum users (i.e. it's open to non-members).

Plus there is still the Motorsport section for racing/rallying; Concours for, well, concours; Swap Shop (members only); Epic Drives... most of which are not members only (unless I'm wrong - please let me know if I am).

Let us know if what you're looking for not catered for above.

Thanks,

Tim

Hi Tim,

Thks for the prompt reply.  I hadn't recognised that 'Out and about' was a general discussion area - I saw it as more of a place to talk about what you had been doing (or were planning to do) in your TR etc.  I hadn't realised it was a place where the odd political comment could be made or jokes recounted.  If that is within the ambit of 'out and about', it might be worth making that clear - or am I the only one who is out of step here and hasn't realised that already?

Rgds Ian