Trigger wheel

• 2 weeks later...

I had material removed from the pulley and the wheel let in, no change in width that way.

edge.jpg

front.jpg

2 hours ago, TriumphV8 said:

Balancing the pulley shows the step for the trigger wheel.

Mine is from  http://trigger-wheels.com/store/contents/en-uk/p5.html

Wheel is opened up on the lathe to meet the step on the pulley.

464980764_WuchtenSchwungscheibe03.jpg.11a7b1a7fd1bf73baee2e8a97ec1b40a.jpg

I used the same wheel Andeas, I then had my pulley balanced after it was fitted.

7 hours ago, TriumphV8 said:

Yes, pretty much the same except mine has three bolts, yours six....

Must be the correct solution. :-)

Anything to push the bill up I imagine :-)

• 3 years later...

Morning,

I'm putting a megajolt on my 76 TR6.

Going to machine the crank pulley as below.  Where is the sensor mounted for this setup and does anyone have any pictures of the sensor mounting for the missing tooth in this position please?

Thanks

Jonathan

On 5/6/2019 at 1:32 PM, iani said:

I had material removed from the pulley and the wheel let in, no change in width that way.

edge.jpg

front.jpg

Is there not an issue in years to come if the rubber bonding between the hub and pulley flange deteriorates that timing scatter may occur?     I would have thought fitting direct to the hub would be error proof way to ensure the trigger wheel remained timed to the crank.

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

Very much agree, BlueTR3!   And although removing material and then adding the trigger wheel may be not add up to a great difference in the mass of the trigger wheel, it won't be the same as when it left the factory.  The change in resonance could affect torsion vibration damping. 

Attach a trigger wheel to the hub!

John

Suspect there will still be some scatter as the timing chain wears even if the damper remains sound. A cam sensor would help but how to fit it would be problematic?

Andy

55 minutes ago, PodOne said:

Suspect there will still be some scatter as the timing chain wears even if the damper remains sound. A cam sensor would help but how to fit it would be problematic?

Andy

Down the hole where the distributor used to go?

Would you have two pickups.  One crank and one cam and get the software to work out the mean?

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT

There's an episode of Project Binkie where they modified the distributor to have a Hall Effect sensor, for just the above purpose.  Can't remember which, it's in one of the engine episodes, but you would find searching fun.

John