Hi Tom,

You could try speaking to Claytons technical dept as they will know what fits what. The early landrover one was the same matrix as the TR3A one I think. You can fit the thinner one which is 21/2 " thick or three inches I am lead to believe but you need shorter spring clips.

The later Moggy one looks to be square if you Google it. And the early one has the outlets to one side which would be sortable with some cut and shut and solder plumbing fittings. Seems to be thicker than the 3a one which could cause problems in an already limited space.

Rgds

Rod

Edited by Rodbr

Tom,

Ahh…

A long time ago (40 years?) I took the clips off and blocked one end of the matrix with my finger and put a mains pressure hose pipe in the other to test for leaks.

There were no leaks

But the matrix expanded like a concertina!

It never did go back together properly.

You only do it once…

Charlie

Probably designed by the same guy who thought up bellows thermostats. Must have been fun as a manufacturing process getting that many layers to seal. It is truly horrible but it looks the part but as has been said before Grandma's breath warmed you more.

Personally I like the Clayton round matrix and have found it to work adequately for my needs . You always need to be well lagged when driving a sidescreen.

31 minutes ago, stuart said:

Not having to have had the need to deal with a 3a heater. 

What orientation do these t7 design heaters fit ?

is it heater matrix horizontal to the top for when the scuttle vent flap is open ?

and can you keep the original fan speed controller ( rheostat?)

3 hours ago, Hamish said:

Not having to have had the need to deal with a 3a heater. 

What orientation do these t7 design heaters fit ?

is it heater matrix horizontal to the top for when the scuttle vent flap is open ?

and can you keep the original fan speed controller ( rheostat?)

Yes to both those questions.

Stuart.

1937339779_011(2).thumb.JPG.94ca365d70b2ae8e071e0e43905560ce.JPG

+1 to Stuart's recommendation.

I recently had this heater installed, using Stuart's photos as a guide, and drove several hundred miles in a cold rain with it. It kept me warm and toasty, and kept the windscreen from fogging up. Highly recommended!

These are fab little heaters. The smiths in my car needs a refurb so I fitted a T7  as recommended by Stuart 3 years ago........the Smiths still needs a refurb.........

the T7 is great, and no complaints from the boss!

Iain

Ps . A major advantage is the significant increase in under dash space.

+1 to that, Iain.

After installing a T7, we chalked it up as a keeper during that journey into the Beast last year.

A challenging test, given its diminutive size. :)

TRchill3.thumb.jpg.b0e774dc147732360189a6f7d180d52e.jpg

Cheers, Deggers

Edited by Deggers