Gauge bezels. Chrome or black?

Hi. Quick one. 

I’m doing a 1972 PI body off rebuild and am firmly into the territory of putting things on the car that I didn’t take off in the first place. 

I’ve been refurbing the gauges in preparation for when the car comes back from the paintshop. I was pretty pleased with the result (cleaned glass, resprayed the black bezels) until I spotted some cars have chrome bezels on the gauges. 

Did they swap from black to chrome at a certain year? Also, if I buy some of the spangly chrome bezels I see for sale on flea bay is it a given they will fit? It looks like the chamfer on the chrome ones differs from the black ones I have. 

Hope someone can help clarify. 

Thanks

Mark

The early CP cars had black bezels, your '72 should be of that type.

Has it got a plastic grille for the heater air intake or a metal flap below the windscreen? 

Gareth

I don't remember the year they changed, but on earlier cars with all black bezels, the needles of the small gauges pivoted at the top of the gauge with the pointing tip pointing downwards. When they changed to chrome/black bezels the small gauge needles pivoted at the bottom with the pointer up. Which type you have will determine which bezels you should have.

You will also have a Lucas ammeter. The later CR cars had a voltmeter. Also check they are all correct. Many cars I have seen have incorrect gauges or mixed ones. See photo - these are all correct for CP car.

Colin

0_20190323_144222.jpg